“Still Beautiful”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Seattle, Washington
“Still Beautiful”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I'm in the travel biz and I keep coming back to this place. The location cannot be beat with an incredible view all around. My work has allowed me to traverse the globe but there is something peaceful about Sun Mountain Lodge. 15 years ago, a friend suggested we come here and I am so grateful! Perhaps it reminds me of the few years I spent in Montana with nature all around, small animals skittering about and last I counted, 47 deer on the drive up to the top of the resort. My husband and I bring our boys and there is virtually no television and spotty internet service for our iPhones. Bliss. The kids met other kids in the game room, sat in the hot tubs during a rain storm and walked down the trail to pet the horses and even golfed at the local course. The fun part of this resort is meeting people because you have to turn your devices off! I had a very relaxing spa experience that I'd recommend to others. We dined for breakfast and had dinner in the casual part of the restaurant and food was good. The wait for breakfast was over an hour, so that is too long with younger kids but overall, a good experience. Our room was in the main lodge with a terrific view and spotlessly clean. It is not renovated and could use upgrades but the price was commensurate with the room. Had I wanted an elegant and renovated room, I would have expected to pay for it in their high season. I find this is an understanding often missed by travelers. Staff were kind, professional and helpful. If I could change one thing, it would be the coffee. I am not a fan of Starbucks but I'd love to see Stumptown or Caffe Vita or some other really great coffee being offered here. Really, that is being picky. We had an incredible visit and look forward to next year! Thank you Sun Mountain Lodge for another peaceful, beautiful stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lucy32
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I greatly appreciate your kind review! Good news - we are putting in new beds and coverings this autumn. New curtains were hung in 2012. I do apologise for the long wait at breakfast. I'm handling that issue with the Food and Beverage Director and it will fixed very soon.

Kind regards,

Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were intrigued by a Living Social deal, and are so glad we found this place. Visited with two 12 year old boys, and although we had some rain and thunderstorms in late August, we all had a great time. The bar/grill, while slightly overpriced, was just fine, as was the breakfast in the dining room. We absolutely loved the horseback ride to breakfast (though would have preferred the dinner excursion, but was unfortunately booked for the evening). The boys loved the pool tables and ping pong, as well as the pools and hot tubs. All the staff were welcoming, from the front desk, activity desk, wait staff, maids. We had fun with board games (available from the front desk), and were easily accommodated when one of our mountain bikes was not ready to roll- the activity desk had mountain bikes ready to rent for a nominal fee, and the four of us had a wonderful time on >13 miles of trail in one morning, Truly magical!

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Gardner rooms.....fireplace!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had a lovely one night stay with a girlfriend/Mom getaway. Trip booked six months ago. Two pedicures booked at the same time. Some confusion occurred around the pedicures and they were unable to do the treatments. The GM Brian rose to the occasion. The pedicures were rescheduled immediately for the next morning Brian met us at the spa with a lovely bottle of wine and a fruit and truffle plate. Thank you Brian.!! Great afternoon at the pub....super service and fun drinks. The activities staff was excellent and the hikes they suggested were spot on. The gift shop is terrific full of interesting and tasteful items....all in all great time. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2013

First time to Sun Mountain Lodge. We had a lovely, quiet room. The property is very nice. Breakfast was included each day with our package and we liked how you could choose off the menu. Food was prepared well. We will return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family has great memories from Sun Mountain Lodge:
2005 - Bought our kids and snowshoed. Yummy dinner & kids made a fort with cushions from bed. Our daughter went out to the hot tub while it was snowing = magical.
2008 - Family stayed again and skied at nearby Loup-Loup =fun.
2012 - My husband and I stayed for our 20th anniversary and they upgraded our room. The breakfasts were complimentary/wonderful and dinner was outstanding! = retreat.
2013 - Spring: Brought the family again with a reluctant teenager in tow. I told him the ice cream alone was worth the drive. He agreed and was smiling by the end of the day. Excellent service in the sport shop when renting a mountain bike = culinary treat.
Fall: We are returning with another couple = looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Our family of four slept comfortably. Twice we've had the lodge rooms with a king bed and 2 twin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It took over 1 hour to be seated and 30 minutes for breakfast. They provide a coupon for breakfast as part of our stay but don't staff for it. Food was subpar since cooks were overwhelmed. Waitress did her best but the hotel needs to better manage their resources if they want to keep bragging about the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank seatttletraveller
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I appreciate your review and sincerely apologize. We certainly did get backed up. We served over 200 breakfasts. We staffed accordingly but Murphy's Law took over. By 09:30 we had very few people come down to dine, then we just were slammed from that point forward. Rather awkward - it is not often so many show up at about the same time. One waitress logged just over 5 miles of running back and forth to the kitchen in a two hour period! I hope you will try us again!
Seattle
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I visited Sun Mountain Lodge for the first time in August for three nights. We stayed in a Mt. Robinson room which was extremely nice. The bed, furnishings and whirlpool tub are worth the extra money. The resort was a nice quiet retreat during out stay. We went into town one afternoon for lunch but otherwise ate in the bar/grill. We did splurge one evening and dined in the restaurant. It was nice, but pricey. Breakfast in the dining room was excellent.

The trail system around the lodge provides good walking and hiking. The folks in the activity center pointed out a couple of good hikes that we walked. Hike early - it gets hot in the afternoon. Mosquite spray is also a good idea.The bugs were not bad, but the trails go by ponds, streams and a lake which always are home to a few bugs.

The Lodge website tauts a wine cellar. It's worth asking to see the room to see the polar bear. But, we were told the wine cellar is only open to events by reservation. While the wine steward visited our table during dinner in the dining room, he was not real helpful and quickly suggested the house wine and never returned.

While the front line staff was universally very helpful, the two times our questions required a response from a manager, we never heard from management. This was disappointing.
The rooms were clean and the daily maid service was excellent. The rooms have refrigerators which makes it easy to save a little by buying a few things in Winthrop.

One very nice thing was the lodge called our home the morning we were leaving to drive from Seattle to inform us the North Cascades Highway was closed. It's a spectacular drive when open. Mud slides resulted in a few days closure, which just happened to be during our trip.

Despite a few minor annoyances, we had a great time and will certainly return sometime.

Room Tip: The Mt. Robinson rooms are excellent! We took others' advice and waited for a second floor room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your very kind review. Would you mind sharing with me to whom you made requests for management responses? It disturbs me that no one approached me to reply to you, for which I sincerely apologize.