“Close to Nature”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Surrey, British Columbia
“Close to Nature”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

High up on a mountain location above Lake Patterson with lodge and cabins on the Lake. Well managed facilities with no complaints. So being close to nature with dewar roaming freely, don't expect any extra room amenities except a coffee maker. The cowboy BBQ dinner was a unique experience with a long chuck wagon ride down the mountain to the BBQ area. Breakfast in the restaurant had many healthy choices. Very relaxing atmosphere in the lodge with games room, reading room, spa, convenience shop and cocktail lounge and restaurant. It's all there to be pampered.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Spokane
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The room with a gas fireplace, king bed, sitting area and balcony in the Gardner Building provided a beautiful view of the valley beckoning you to the North Cascade highway. Excellent food in the dining room. We just stayed overnight but the list of outdoor activities, the spa, and the funky little town of Winthrop would make this a great long weekend vacation, for couple or for a family.

Room Tip: view from balcony over valley in the Gardner addition
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booking one of the 2 bedroom cabins on the lake was the best plan for our family of 6. The cabin had 2 queen size beds and a day bed. By adding 2 additional roll away beds, we had plenty of sleeping space. The main floor bathroom was very large with a tub and shower that had amazing water pressure. The loft had a shower bathroom with the same pressure. The only problem was we ran out of hot water a couple of times when we all took a shower within a hour of each other. There is LOTS to do, but bring inner tubes for the kids to play with on the lake-even though there are canoes, sunfish sail boats and kayaks to rent. Bring your own beach towels-there is a laundry on the grounds. The lodge has a fabulous restaurant with a bar menu and a more elaborate menu. The 2 pools are beautiful and the view from the hot tub is to die for. We even went horse back riding. It is expensive to plan on having money!!

Room Tip: Ask to be one of the cabins with direct access to the lake.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank escargot42
Moses Lake, Washington
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sun Mountain Lodge recently for his company's summer meeting. We had 50 families there attending meetings, dinners, and socializing. The staff was fantastic! The kids had the best time in the pool, the game room and outside. The buffet dinners were delicious and the lunches in the bar were pricey, but yummy. I enjoyed sitting in the lobby around the fire place (yes, it was June, but it was chilly at times!). Friends of ours enjoyed the massages at the spa. One day we went for a simple hike, but got carried away by the beauty and stayed out for two and a half hours! The room was a bit dated but clean and comfy. I was disappointed when we got a room with two beds instead of one big bed. The views are so amazing! And we loved opening the windows in our room for the fresh mountain air. Winthrop is a short drive and we ate lunch there one day. However it is crowded and crazy ! I couldn't wait to get back to the peace and quiet of the lodge. I would like to return when we are not on business so we can fully relax!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Heber Springs, AR
Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a beautiful location and lodge! It is a little off the beaten path but worth the trip. View from the restaurant and our room were terrific.

We did have a problem with booking however. We had called the lodge to make a reservation when we only 30 minutes away and they had a room available and gave us a confirmation and rate. We arrived at the hotel just before the restaurant closed so the desk person encouraged us to eat first and then check-in. While we were waiting for our food, my wife decided to go check us in. She came back to the table and was really upset. When she approached the check-in desk, the person said that he had made a mistake(he said that he was in training) and there was not a room available at the rate we had booked, but he was willing to upgrade us for only $30 more. She told them that she wanted to discuss this with me. After what would have been a nice dinner, we approached the desk again and the man said guess I'm the bait and switch person and I replied that he had just helped me write my trip advisor. The person who was doing the training explained that this trainee had made a mistake on the computer and all of the rooms in the class we had reserved were full but he was willing to give us a discount on an upgrade. He asked me what I expected and I told him that I expected them to honor the rate that they had confirmed when we booked. He said he would if I insisted. I insisted.

What a great training opportunity was missed! The lodge should have said "we are sorry but there are no more rooms available in the class you reserved but we are upgrading you to one of our nicest rooms at the same price; hope you have a great stay and come back often". That is exactly what happened to us at another property during the same trip. Is $30 worth creating a bad image with a customer?

It is hard to give this lodge the five star rating it desires in every other way when we had the check-in experience we had. It makes you question their integrity.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HawgFan64
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
That just about wrecked my day. I am so sorry for the absolute antitheses of what service is about. We go over this regularly and upgrade so many for a variety of reasons, but not at a cost to our customers. I promise you, this shan't happen again and please accept my sincerest apology and also my appreciation for advising me about this.

Brian
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My family and I very much enjoyed the too-brief stay we had at Sun Mountain Lodge in mid-June 2013. The lodge is quite remote, but the roads were well maintained and easy to drive. We found the two-bedroom Mt. Robinson Suite we needed to accommodate our party to be spacious, clean, well-appointed and -maintained, and quite comfortable (except for the sleeper sofa, which my son found uncomfortable; suggestion: use a memory foam mattress, which at The Maxwell Hotel in Seattle he declared to be the most comfortable sleeper sofa we had ever consigned him to). The views from the room and other sites about the lodge were terrific. The amenities in the lodge were very nice, and there's no shortage of nature-related activities. Did not have a chance to use the spa or the stable, but pricing seemed reasonable. No TVs in the rooms (though one of the commons rooms in the lodge had one), but WiFi service was quite good. Unsurprisingly, cellphone connectivity was borderline. At breakfast the first morning, the food (at prices you'd expect for an upscale hotel in a remote location) was decent but otherwise unmemorable, and service was pleasant but slow (not that we were in a rush); all in all, we were not impressed enough to eat dinner there (despite the four-diamond AAA rating) and instead had decent dinners one night at the Twisp River Pub in Twisp about 15 miles away and the next night at The Breadline Café in Omak, about an hour away. (The drives were beautiful, but of course there's no drive in the Cascades that's not beautiful.) The lodge very kindly accommodated our need for an early departure the following morning and had packed continental breakfasts waiting for us at the front desk. We found all of the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. At the substantially discounted price I was able to negotiate for the suite and breakfast (after finding erroneously low prices on their website), we felt the value to be reasonable, but I doubt we would have stayed there at the (correct) posted price. The night clerk told me the lodge has been owned by a German family for about 20-25 years. It was evident to me that their attention to excellence at this property is such that I would certainly consider staying at their properties in Germany and the Caribbean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank afrinl
Thank you so much for your comments, especially in regards the sleep sofa. I met with a mattress manufacturer just this week and between our interior designer and myself we will be looking at the Maxwell house and others in the near future. Appreciate the tip!

I hope you will come back and give our dinners a shot - we use as much local produce as possible and my goodness the flavors are spectacular.
renton
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Sun mountain lodge very nice the scenery was beautiful . Check in was ok person at the desk was just so so I know check in is at 4pm our room was not ready we arrived early about 1pm she made us wait for two hours before she would give our room to us. The room was fine very dusty also bathroom, no chairs to sit on just day beds sheets and pillows not high quality considering what they charge. Windows were quite dirty too , we ate in the bar ,food was just ok hamburger over cooked no seasoning. Had dinner in the dining room no seasoning and just ok considering what we spent, breakfast was fine. Also they have two prices for the rates if not busy charged the lower rate if busy they charge the higher which I do not understand. My husband would like to go back I am not sure. They need to change things for people to want to come back

Room Tip: we had a nice view was not able to rate spa did not use
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review.

I am sorry your room was not ready as quickly as you had hoped. We do make our best effort to get rooms ready earlier but are sometimes behind a wee bit when checkouts run a bit late. I was extremely surprised to hear your room was dusty. Out housekeepers have a great reputation going - if you don't mind, would you please let me know which room you stayed in.

I recently had all windows washed, inside and out, but with the recent rains we need to give it another go, which we will be doing shortly.

Our sheets are rather expensive and just this week we had guests buy several sets. I will check to see if somehow an old set was introduced into our inventory. Some of our pillows are in need of replacement and an order has been placed but not yet arrived. It seems manufacturers do not keep as much in stock and we need to be more vigilant in ordering earlier.

We do not season our hamburgers. Our hamburgers are of top quality beef. We select the steers for slaughter from a local rancher - no hormones, etc. We then have the animals taken to an FDA approved slaughter house and after an appropriate hang time, we do all butchering and make our own hamburgers on premises. I am so sorry your dinner was not seasoned to your liking - I urge to always make this known to your server so meals can be cooked to your taste and liking.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you are unsatisfied. Either me or any of my managers will take all steps to ensure your stay is perfect.

Brian Charlton