“Sun Mountain Lodge a true experience in getting away from it all...”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Seattle
“Sun Mountain Lodge a true experience in getting away from it all...”
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Sun Mountain Lodge is a true experince in getting away from all the hustle of the city life. In January 2008, 6 of my girlfriends drove up from Seattle to Sun Mountain to get away and enjoy our friends. Sun Mountain Lodge did not disappoint us. With no phones, TV or computers to distract us, we enjoyed each other company, had wonderful dinner with awesome view in the restaurant, delightful time exploring nature and relaxed with fabulous spa treatments. The staff at Sun Mountain Lodge from the front desk, spa, restaurant, bar and concierge truly add to the enjoyment of the lodge experience. I can not wait until our next years girls trip and I am also planning a romantic weekend with my sweetheart. Sun Mountain is a gem for the Pacific Northwest.

• Liked — Restarurant, spa, wine room and staff
  • Disliked — The long drive, but once there you quckly forget about it.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
chewelah, wa
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We have stayed numerous times at Sun Mt. Lodge, both for group meetings and as a couple on our own. We have experienced the "Full Monte" of Sun Mt. Lodge, e.g. dining in the dining room, eating in the bar, on the deck, in the wine cellar. We have trekked on the trails and snow-shoed those same trails, swam in the pools, sun-bathed and picnicked at Patterson Lake.

Every season provides a spectacular and ever-changing vista of incredibly beautiful scenery. Staff and service have always been above and beyond. Coming to Sun Mt. Lodge is like coming home. We will be back and know we can expect the same excellent service.

• Liked — beautiful rooms - feel like home
  • Disliked — There was nothing we did not like.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Room:
We stayed in the main lodge on the second floor. Our room was beautiful and maintained the relaxing atmosphere with warm colors. Our room was cleaned every morning while we were at breakfast and the service was impeccable.
Lodge:
Lobby is beautiful with 2 huge fireplaces and comfortable seating. It has that lodge feel with its log poles and alot of wood used throughout its design.
Activities:
There is something for everyone here. If you want to sit and read a book or take a multi-mileage hike, it is there waiting for you. We went on the Cowboy BarBQ horseback ride to the Old Homestead. We had steak, baked potatoes, barbequed chicken, coleslaw, baked beans, cornbread, watermelon, and strawberry/rhubarb shortcake. After you get back to the lodge you can hop in the huge hot tub to relax your muscles.
Dining:
The food is very expensive so be prepared. We stayed 5 nights and decided to eat a big breakfast in the dining room and an early dinner from the grill. Winthrop is a very short drive from the lodge so if you are trying to save some $$s but want fine dining, the town has one fine dining restaurant that I saw.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — High priced restaurant
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
san diego
Reviewed May 23, 2008

I stayed at sun mountain two years ago for my wedding which was absolutely beautiful the staff were amazing and the food and view were out of this world. My husband and I have gone back every year and will continue to stay with this hotel. They made us feel like we were home away from home. I would recommend this hotel to any one who loves the outdoors, beautiful scenery and relaxing time in the mountains with a five star service.

• Liked — quiet beautiful location
  • Disliked — somewhat of a drive
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
PO, WA
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Our experience at the Sun Mountain Lodge was wonderful! The setting is absolutely picturesque. We had about a 5 hour drive to get there but it was more than worth the long drive. Our room was as cozy as your own personal cabin and the showers are heaven. Both the restaurants were delicious and had great atmospheres. There was plenty to keep us busy, especially with our 4 year old in tow. We went sledding, played in the game room and enjoyed the outdoor hottubs. Can't say enough about how great this place is. It is definitely our favorite place to stay in Washington!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed May 14, 2008

From the moment we turned onto the winding roadway leading to Sun Mountain Lodge, we were in another world. Snow covered the road and was so deep on each side we drove up a "blind" chute and emerged at the breathtaking majesty of the lodge. It is massive, rustic and elegant all at once - masterfully suited to its location.

We stayed for two nights and would like to have taken the bed home with us it was so comfortable with dreamy soft sheets and incredibly cozy quilts. Sun shone the whole weekend and we took advantage of snowshoeing into the gorgeous Methow Valley.

A warm, friendly ambiance pervades the Lodge. We especially liked the Library and Wolf Creek Bar & Grill. It's a wonderful place we highly recommend.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I spent a few days here, and was disappointed to say the least. The best feature of this hotel is the setting (which you can get with any hotel in Winthrop). Upon arrival I had to wait to check in while two employees were talking to one another and ignoring me. I paid almost $400 a night for a room that had the initial appearance of luxury, but nowhere near 4 star quality as the hotel would have you believe.

The hotel is about 10 minutes outside Winthrop, and the only activities are those that you have to overpay for (i.e. horseback riding at the hotel is nearly double what it costs in Winthrop).

Dining was subpar, I waited to be seated while the staff joked about folding napkins, then I was told that I would have to wait for the waitress to come seat me because the hostess had to go somewhere. After about five minutes of waiting I left and went to Winthrop for food, which was a much better choice. Against my better judgment, I went to the bar at 9:30 and was told it was closed (even though the hours said it was open until 10:00). When I finally ate at the dining room the next morning, the food was average and very overpriced.

There are no TV's in the hotel, which was explained by saying the hotel was a retreat. Unfortunately I am not one of those people that can stay away from work for days on end, and I at least needed to check my email to make sure things weren't falling apart. After using my laptop in the common area, I was told that I could not use electronics in the hotel, and that I needed to put it away or be removed from the hotel.

The staff was very snobby and were quick to make sure that you understood that asking them to do something was a huge inconvenience. Everything was a chore when dealing with these people. Apparently they are taught to make you feel like you should be honored to be staying at their hotel, and if you don't like something it's your fault. I have gotten better service at a Motel 6. The friendliest person there was a groundskeeper.

After overpaying for a ostentatious hotel staffed by snobs, I drove the four hours back to Seattle reassuring myself that I would never go back to Sun Mountain Lodge again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank OV8
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Talk about humble pie! As previously mentioned, our new CIA chef is fantastic and our new Food and Beverage Manager is a breath of fresh air. You won't find this "pretentiousness" again!

I am so sorry about the problems encountered and I cannot imagine who said you'd be removed from the hotel for using a laptop! We put in WiFi so you could use the laptop - we do request no laptops or cell phone use in the dining room.