“nice but a little snobby”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Winthrop
renton
“nice but a little snobby”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Sun mountain lodge very nice the scenery was beautiful . Check in was ok person at the desk was just so so I know check in is at 4pm our room was not ready we arrived early about 1pm she made us wait for two hours before she would give our room to us. The room was fine very dusty also bathroom, no chairs to sit on just day beds sheets and pillows not high quality considering what they charge. Windows were quite dirty too , we ate in the bar ,food was just ok hamburger over cooked no seasoning. Had dinner in the dining room no seasoning and just ok considering what we spent, breakfast was fine. Also they have two prices for the rates if not busy charged the lower rate if busy they charge the higher which I do not understand. My husband would like to go back I am not sure. They need to change things for people to want to come back

Room Tip: we had a nice view was not able to rate spa did not use
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review.

I am sorry your room was not ready as quickly as you had hoped. We do make our best effort to get rooms ready earlier but are sometimes behind a wee bit when checkouts run a bit late. I was extremely surprised to hear your room was dusty. Out housekeepers have a great reputation going - if you don't mind, would you please let me know which room you stayed in.

I recently had all windows washed, inside and out, but with the recent rains we need to give it another go, which we will be doing shortly.

Our sheets are rather expensive and just this week we had guests buy several sets. I will check to see if somehow an old set was introduced into our inventory. Some of our pillows are in need of replacement and an order has been placed but not yet arrived. It seems manufacturers do not keep as much in stock and we need to be more vigilant in ordering earlier.

We do not season our hamburgers. Our hamburgers are of top quality beef. We select the steers for slaughter from a local rancher - no hormones, etc. We then have the animals taken to an FDA approved slaughter house and after an appropriate hang time, we do all butchering and make our own hamburgers on premises. I am so sorry your dinner was not seasoned to your liking - I urge to always make this known to your server so meals can be cooked to your taste and liking.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you are unsatisfied. Either me or any of my managers will take all steps to ensure your stay is perfect.

Brian Charlton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Portland, OR
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this lovely place. Our suite in Robinson literally took our breath away. It was beautifully decorated and completely peaceful and luxurious. We had great meals, fantastic views of the Methow Valley, and hike after hike through the wildflowers. Exactly what we were looking for!

Room Tip: We enjoyed Robinson; our suite room at the end of the building felt very secluded.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington State
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have been going to Sun Mountain Lodge for 25 years and find it a wonderful place. When we visited in May 2013 we hiked the lovely hills, and enjoyed a local rodeo, among other things. Everything is perfectly kept up and we feel it is the perfect place for a retreat to the beautiful hills of Winthrop. Since dinner in the dining room is pricey and limited in choices, we usually end up in the bar which has an extensive menu. Children are welcome and their children's menu is great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ckeWashingtonState
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Sun Mountain has a wonderful location and fine rooms, with stunning views of the Cascade Mountains to the west of the lodge and other buildings. It also has a broad choice of activities and hiking in the nearby hills and mountains. I have spent several days there on two occasions over the last month (May 2013). My only reservation concerns the dining room, which served us a mediocre salmon (Atlantic farmed salmon going under the guise of "Tasmanian" salmon) meal. On the other hand, breakfasts were included in the room charge, and were excellent. The bar menu, plus the stunning vista from the bar, was good. It's a great place for a getaway, and you get away from TV (at last!). The staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go above the ground floor.
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Keith:

Thank you for your welcome review. I had dinner the same evening as you and was shocked to find "Tasmanian Salmon" on the menu. I went back and got with the chef immediately and sorted it out. I was deeply embarrassed and I sincerely apologize. Our regular seafood order came in with this product and should have been sent back - we did not ask for it. It ought not to have been served and I promise, never will again.

Warm regards,

Burnaby, BC
Reviewed May 24, 2013

What a beautiful setting to come for relaxation and unwinding from the world. The drive up is worth it, in my opinion. For those needing TV, I saw a couple of flat screens in the bar. I personally enjoyed turning off my cell and not having a remote in my hand - but I did use the wi-fi (which worked well!)
Views are incredible- same can be said for service, the room, and breakfast which was included.
I am not able to stay long this time, but I would LOVE to come back with my partner and a group of friends to soak in the serenity and enjoy the area. Lodge room was perfect; I would love to check out the cabins on a lake a mile or so below.
"God willing and the creek don't rise", I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mcbill58
Duvall, Washington
Reviewed May 17, 2013

just returned from 4 days at sun mountain lodge. things need to be perked up....especially some of the staff.....as they look tired and edgy. the lodge is still lovely but the poor bed and lack of a TV for the eve news wore a little thin. the food was below average for a hefty price. there is alot to do and see around winthrop and its a nice get-away but I hope they take a close look at some of the comfort issues.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank pammypoo49
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We returned after more than 15 years since our last visit. The drive from any direction is spectacular if the weather is nice, and it was spectacular this visit. Once settled in the lodge the views are equally spectacular from most rooms. There is a great deal of available outdoor recreation on this mountaintop property, hiking trails, nature viewing, a beautiful lake on the property with boat rentals and plenty of indoor activity rooms in the lodge. Mountain biking trails are plentiful. Wildlife is protected on the property and there were lots of deer near the lodge as well as birds such as Sage Grouse.
Only 4 stars because:
-We didn't get the type of room we reserved and had to waste time getting another room assignment.

-Beds must have been there 15-25 years ago, they are too soft and provide little support.

-The fancy "gourmet" dining room wasn't open on week nights .

-Only the casual bar menu restaurant was serving lunch and dinner, meals were adequate but we got tired of the limited menu. Burgers and fries plus pasta and pizza and some good salads.

-It is a long drive to town where there are limited restaurant choices.

-We bought a seasonal package which included "free" breakfasts, but got uncharged for side dishes that were of lesser value than the full breakfast.

-On the the first sunny warm week of Spring we couldn't use the swimming pool because it was still closed for the season . We used it anyway and got hassled by a maintenance guy.

-Service was friendly but not up to the standards of a high end resort with upper tier pricing

We love the location, the setting and scenery. The buildings are great architecture. With some upgrades in service and dining options this could be great.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malice6
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello Malice6, and thank you for your comments. I replace the beds on the average every 5-7 years depending upon occupancy, etc. The beds we purchase are designed and made for us specifically and take a bit longer to get to us. During the past couple of years we have changed the beds in all of the cabins, Robinson and Gardner buildings. This autumn we will be putting new beds in the lodge. Even though the beds are on a rotational cycle, one or two can start breaking down earlier...and I ought to clarify...we only began the program of beds being made for us during the past few years.

It is unfortunate that the dining room has been closed during the early part of the season. It just was not possible to operate two dining areas during low occupancy times. We have seen a great resurgence of recent date and I am confident we will be able to have the dining room open more often. Actually, come June it will be open 7 days per week. We did make sure to include three course meals in the grill however, and I hope you were able to enjoy them!

Seems one of our maintenance fellows was a bit gruff with you, for which I apologize. Our pools are outdoor pools and rarely is the weather up to snuff early in May to open them. It takes quite a process to get them ready for use, get the ph balance correct and warm that much water. The maintenance chap ought to have advised of this for your own safety and I have taken corrective measures on this.

I do appreciate all comments, and hope you will return soon. Please feel free to contact me with any other concerns or questions.

Kind regards,