Sun Mountain Lodge
AbbyCreek Inn(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
$90
$87
Mt Gardner Inn(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
$125
Hotel Rio Vista(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
$124
Methow River Lodge & Cabins(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
$118
$69
Chewuch Inn & Cabins(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
$105
Official Site
$81
$75
Hotels.com
$64
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspatterson lakedining roomrobinson roomshorseback ridingbar grillmain restaurantwolf creek barcombo dinnerski shophiking trailsget awaytennis courtssleigh ridegames roomjacuzzi tubeggs benedictcity life
Reviewed May 6, 2013

To start, my Wife and I are amateur foodies from Seattle and we give our compliments to the Hotels Exec Chef for providing world-class breakfasts and dinners at The Dining Room and unequivocally fantastic lunches and drinks at The Wolf Creek Bar & Grill. We ventured out to the town of Winthrop and with the exception of the local brewery there are no restaurants that are worth leaving the hotel for. The Lodge is luxurious and beautiful and the stay was very relaxing. We enjoyed going on nice hikes, enjoying the beautiful scenery the area has to offer and came back and soaked in the hot tub while enjoying some libations to end the evenings. The only mistake we made was booking a couples massage. The two therapists onsite were substandard at best and appeared to be untrained (I know it's not possible as they must have their certifications to work professionally). The massage started out very slow and it became an awkward oily back rub that was borderline inappropriately sensual. When we tried nicely to tell them to apply more pressure, they sounded annoyed. Then the therapists located our calves which applied pressure for an extensive period of time with their elbows causing both my Wife and I to wince. And YES we did tell them to stop. My wife and I laughed as we both were silently wondering when this was going to be over. The following day we could hardly walk and found ourselves in the hot tub trying to ease the pain. My brother is a professional therapist and indicated that they could have seriously injured us. After the massage was over, they immediately wanted payment, not asking us how the massage went and/or follow up conversations. There was a billing discount discrepancy since we purchased on Living Social, and both therapists seemed annoyed and stormed down to the front desk with us. Luckily the hotel staff handled the therapists well with a smile on their faces and explained how the discounts were applied. It almost appeared as if the hotel staff was embarrassed that the therapists would cause a scene in front of the customers. Based off the interaction with the therapists and hotel staff, it appears that the therapists do not work for the hotel, but are freelance (I could be wrong) which is why they were upset for the Living Social "discount". As you can imagine it almost ruined our experience, however neither of us complained to the hotel management as we wanted to enjoy our stay. That was a good decision as the rest of the experience made up for this setback. I highly recommend the hotel, restaurants and other recreational activities but stay away from the massages.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mitchell L
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you or your very kind and candid review. I am so terribly sorry regarding your massages. Yes, the therapists are "freelance" but that cannot be used as an excuse. One of the therapists is certainly new and is now undergoing more training. I think from the start we made a mistake in not fully understanding your needs and wants and athletic levels. We have learned from the error (I truly mean "we") and I owe you a major thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Your gratefully,

Brian Charlton

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at Sun Mountain. What a quiet, lovely place. There are no TVs in the rooms, so bring your hiking shoes and books. If you really want a place to get close to nature and to relax, this is the place!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KayakQueen1
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have been to this Lodge at least a dozen times as I lived in Okanogan County for quite a while. I've stayed in all types of their rooms including three times in their nicest Mount Robinson rooms. I've been to the dining room as well as the bar many times also. Unfortunately, I'm seeing things decline there which is too bad because I love this lodge. Complaints I had this trip include: they didn't change the bed linens when it was clearly necessary, the food in the bar was sub-par (pizza that looked/tasted like DiGiorno but was three times as expensive, fish/chips that was awful and greasy, a burger that was almost burned, my husband loves fries but after eating theirs twice for the third time eating there he just had a salad which is very unusual for him!), the bed was odd in that it was super squishy which may mean it was past its prime (or perhaps not and I just don't like squishy), the pens in the room were cheap ballpoints like you get at the low end stores, the pillows were lumpy and cheap, etc. I know that individually some if these things are picky and not very important. But this is a beautiful high end lodge and I hate to see them go cheap or fail to keep the place up. I simply expect more from them... not just because of the price but because I know they have a history of excellence. I will say that the dinning room food was excellent for both dinner and breakfast. The management, concierge, and front desk staff were helpful, cheerful, and knowledgeable. I will also say that the Mt. Robinson rooms do have the most spectacular view with deer eating down the hill and snow capped mountains. They have fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs, and nice natural spa like decor. Would I stay there again? Yes, and I did give 4 of 5 stars despite my complaints... but my hope is the lodge will start to address some of these failings.

Room Tip: Mt. Robinson was great... its worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kelli S
robertthor, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear KS:

I appreciate your comments and for your loyalty to Sun Mountain. One of the unfortunate but understandable aspects of Trip Advisor is that I am unable to determine when you were here and take necessary corrective actions. I checked to see if anyone in April had lodged a food complaint and could not find one. We will always make it right for a guest when requested. We begin every spring with some new crew and this year we lost our Executive Sous Chef, since replaced with a brilliant chap, and it seems we made an error or two during your stay for which I sincerely apologize. We are more accustomed to raves about our fish and chips and hamburgers. We take particular pride in our burgers because we use local beef (from Winthrop), do all of our own butchering and make the burgers ourselves - no hormones, etc.

I'm sorry the bed was not to your liking. We had the mattresses made for us in Spokane and they are only just over one year old. We've sold a fair number to satisfied guests, but you have given me pause for thought. We will be replacing the lodge mattresses starting this autumn and perhaps I need to mix them up a bit so some are firmer than others. I checked the rooms and pillows - not sure where that lumpy one came from! I believe that situation is completely handled, likewise with your sheets not being changed.

Please feel free to contact me. If you do before your arrival I'd like to buy you both a replacement meal. And please, if you have a problem whilst here, please let us know. We will correct it!

Kind regards,
Brian Charlton, General Manager

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We loved this resort. We were met by the Manager and guided to the elevators. We were only there for an afternoon and overnight but it felt like we had discovered heaven in the middle of nowhere on top of a mountain.
It was refreshing to have no technology, tvs or people all consumed by their 'devices'. A breath of fresh air!! The rooms were spacious and well
appointed and the food was good with deer feeding outside our breakfast room.
We wished we could have stayed longer.. .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Joyce K
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sun Mountain Lodge is a year-round resort, however it is a particularly wonderful winter destination thanks to the ski trails, snow shoe trails and other winter fun (e.g. sleigh rides) The Sun Mountain spa has a great selection of services and a calming ambiance. The food in The Dining Room is expensive so make dinner the main event of an evening, or go to the Restaurant for breakfast when the valley view can be enjoyed.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms are comfortable - ask for 219 or 220. They are corner rooms with an extra window that maximizes the brightness and the scenery.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple