“Lodge is starting to lose touch...” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Seattle, Washington
“Lodge is starting to lose touch...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have been to this Lodge at least a dozen times as I lived in Okanogan County for quite a while. I've stayed in all types of their rooms including three times in their nicest Mount Robinson rooms. I've been to the dining room as well as the bar many times also. Unfortunately, I'm seeing things decline there which is too bad because I love this lodge. Complaints I had this trip include: they didn't change the bed linens when it was clearly necessary, the food in the bar was sub-par (pizza that looked/tasted like DiGiorno but was three times as expensive, fish/chips that was awful and greasy, a burger that was almost burned, my husband loves fries but after eating theirs twice for the third time eating there he just had a salad which is very unusual for him!), the bed was odd in that it was super squishy which may mean it was past its prime (or perhaps not and I just don't like squishy), the pens in the room were cheap ballpoints like you get at the low end stores, the pillows were lumpy and cheap, etc. I know that individually some if these things are picky and not very important. But this is a beautiful high end lodge and I hate to see them go cheap or fail to keep the place up. I simply expect more from them... not just because of the price but because I know they have a history of excellence. I will say that the dinning room food was excellent for both dinner and breakfast. The management, concierge, and front desk staff were helpful, cheerful, and knowledgeable. I will also say that the Mt. Robinson rooms do have the most spectacular view with deer eating down the hill and snow capped mountains. They have fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs, and nice natural spa like decor. Would I stay there again? Yes, and I did give 4 of 5 stars despite my complaints... but my hope is the lodge will start to address some of these failings.

Room Tip: Mt. Robinson was great... its worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kelli S
robertthor, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear KS:

I appreciate your comments and for your loyalty to Sun Mountain. One of the unfortunate but understandable aspects of Trip Advisor is that I am unable to determine when you were here and take necessary corrective actions. I checked to see if anyone in April had lodged a food complaint and could not find one. We will always make it right for a guest when requested. We begin every spring with some new crew and this year we lost our Executive Sous Chef, since replaced with a brilliant chap, and it seems we made an error or two during your stay for which I sincerely apologize. We are more accustomed to raves about our fish and chips and hamburgers. We take particular pride in our burgers because we use local beef (from Winthrop), do all of our own butchering and make the burgers ourselves - no hormones, etc.

I'm sorry the bed was not to your liking. We had the mattresses made for us in Spokane and they are only just over one year old. We've sold a fair number to satisfied guests, but you have given me pause for thought. We will be replacing the lodge mattresses starting this autumn and perhaps I need to mix them up a bit so some are firmer than others. I checked the rooms and pillows - not sure where that lumpy one came from! I believe that situation is completely handled, likewise with your sheets not being changed.

Please feel free to contact me. If you do before your arrival I'd like to buy you both a replacement meal. And please, if you have a problem whilst here, please let us know. We will correct it!

Kind regards,
Brian Charlton, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Langley, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We loved this resort. We were met by the Manager and guided to the elevators. We were only there for an afternoon and overnight but it felt like we had discovered heaven in the middle of nowhere on top of a mountain.
It was refreshing to have no technology, tvs or people all consumed by their 'devices'. A breath of fresh air!! The rooms were spacious and well
appointed and the food was good with deer feeding outside our breakfast room.
We wished we could have stayed longer.. .

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Joyce K
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sun Mountain Lodge is a year-round resort, however it is a particularly wonderful winter destination thanks to the ski trails, snow shoe trails and other winter fun (e.g. sleigh rides) The Sun Mountain spa has a great selection of services and a calming ambiance. The food in The Dining Room is expensive so make dinner the main event of an evening, or go to the Restaurant for breakfast when the valley view can be enjoyed.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms are comfortable - ask for 219 or 220. They are corner rooms with an extra window tha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CathySeattle
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've stay at Sun Mountain lodge for many years and it is consistently excellent. comfortable accomodations, attentative and genuine staff, and a terrific location. I think it's a great value except for the food. Bar and resturant food is average to good, not outstanding as one would expect from a hotel like this. Still worth a visit

Room Tip: the mountain side rooms have a particularly wonderful view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mary Ellen S
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed there for the second time with my family. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We forgot a few items when we left and the hotel mailed them to us free of charge. Clearly superb customer service. Many types of outdoor activities are just outside the front door - cross-country skiing and showshoeing in the winter and hiking in the summer. We had breakfast in the dining room each day and occasional dinners at the bar. No complains about food. Coffee was excellent as they use local Blue Star Coffee. Definitely planning to stay there again and would recommend this property to anyone, especially families.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rc2008Canada
Hailey, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Staff was welcoming, helpful, more than pleasant, professional. It is a pricey place to stay but the views were stunning and the lodge rooms lovely. Great for a special occasions. I would go back and recommend.
A few minor tweeks and it would be perfect:
Bar service was slow - the restaurant/bar seemed understaffed - we were there for a long weekend.
The outdoor hot tub was warm rather than hot in the early evening altho when some of our party went earlier the next day it was more comfortable.
The beginner ski trail from the lodge connecting to the system was too challenging for beginners. Lots of discouraged beginners on their bums in that first 500 to a 1000 feet. Recommend more obvious and directive signage to suggest to beginners to start at the tralhead down the road. Beginners will have a much better experience even if they have to drive a mile down the road. Make the 90 degree turn more gentle and if you can put some sweeping switchbacks in to reduce grade and if you can't do that perhaps it should be signed intermediate. .

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a fireplace - it was worth it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank william b
Winthrop, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sun Mountain Lodge is the perfect place to celebrate birthdays. My husband, a friend and I all have birthdays this week so we headed to Sun Mountain to celebrate together. We all stayed in the Robinson rooms and they were beautiful, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating. The dinner in the wine cellar was perfect from beginning to end. It also helps that the ski conditions and grooming were perfect and the sun was shining all day. What a wonderful stay. Thank you so much!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winthrop
Mt Gardner Inn
#7 of 8 in Winthrop
Freestone Inn
Freestone Inn
#1 of 3 in Mazama

Been to Sun Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!