“Great Mountain Retreat”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Sun Mountain Lodge is a great place to stop while in the Cascades. Our Mt. Robinson room was large, not luxurious, but very comfortable. Nice views abound on this property. The food in the restaurant was quite good with a nice selection of wines. One minor problem, there is no real help available with luggage unless you allow an elderly woman to assist. We had a lot of luggage with a room a few steps up to a second floor, but only a few steps. All in all, we liked it very much and recommend a stop there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CT-and-JJ

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Came here for our 10th anniversary. We had a room away from the main lodge building, on the 2nd floor. It was quite large, with a great view, fireplace, jetted tub and refrigerator. Spacious bathroom. Due to bad weather, we did not get a chance to go horseback riding or hiking (next time), so cannot comment on either of those activities. But there was a lot of deer in the area, which was a nice treat.

PROS: We found the personnel to be friendly and professional. Room was immaculately clean, and the bed very comfortable.

CONS: Fireplace is more for looks than anything else; Would be nice to have a microwave oven in the room (there's a place for one to fit near the sink). It's a bit spendy, especially if you opt for the upgraded room and/or plan to eat there. (Fortunately, there's good food down in Winthrop.)

Room Tip: Second floor has great views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SethE56
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I won a weekend for 2, complete with breakfast from the Seattle Mariners and stayed on October 12th and 13th. What a wonderful relaxing weekend. We stayed in the Gardner Guest Rooms - complete with king size bed, gas fireplace and private deck on the second floor. We weren't aware before we stayed that we would be without a TV, but it was actually a nice surpise. The bed was extremely comfortable, linens and bath items were exceptional. When the door key stuck in the lock, the maintenance folks came immediately. My only complaint with the room would be the lack of a microwave (it did have a refrigerator, coffee maker and sink). Complimentary wireless in the room was a plus. Hot tub and pool were nicely maintained and had a spectacular view. Hiking trails leading out and around the property were well maintained and scenic. We appreciated the variety of lengths (we hiked 3.5 miles) and the expertise of the activities person in directing us (with a detailed map) on the routes. I can't say enough good things about the food in the dining room. Breakfasts were outstanding - I had the wild mushroom omelet one day, and the smoked salmon scramble (both with egg beaters) the next day. We had dinner one evening in the dining room - the chicken stuffed with local goat cheese and spinach was wonderful as was the special my husband had - short ribs, chicken and chorizo. Presentations were beautiful. The house soup - chicken curry was the best I've ever tasted. His organic greens salad with local charcuterie was amazing - I am not a fan of duck but the duck breast with his salad was not greasy - actually perfect. For dessert he had the apple pie with homemade vanilla ice cream and I had the trio of sorbets. The cookies with the sorbet reminded me of the taxidermy horns on the lodge walls but whatever?! Service at the front desk and in the dining room was friendly and attentive. We will be going back during the winter to experience that season and plan to try out the Patterson Lake Cabins.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BeckyB2
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We visited Sun Mountain Lodge the weekend of September 21st. Sadly, the lodge was surrounded by smoke from the forest fires nearby. We witnessed three weddings on the grounds. One would think that the management would provide perks for the guests: perhaps a discount on the room or a dinner; but no, none were available according to the people working at the front desk. Will we return again? Not sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank parisparisparis
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Luxury in nature - my room had no tv just wonderful music playing in the room as I entered.

Leave your technology at home and just take in the beauty and joy of nature .

Super all season resort like property - wort the trek.

Enjoy

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a chance to eat twice at Sun Mountain, once at dinner and the next day for lunch. On both days the food was good if unremarkable, but the service made it seem much worse. There were never enough people in the dining room to justify long waits, but it did give us time to notice two other tables that were having trouble with their orders also. One table not only had the wrong pizza delivered, but their dinner salad came with a large portion of plastic wrap that had been mixed in with the lettuce.

For a family gathering this is not a bad place to eat, but otherwise the valley offers better choices and more reasonable prices if you go down the mountain a ways.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LoladeTiburon
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This resort almost has it all - beautiful location, excellent food, tons of activities to keep active families happy. The staff in the activities shop went out of their way to explain the bike trails and what would work for a 7 year old (bring your own bike for any child under 10). Debra (otherwise known as Red), who runs the stables, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. She is the definition of hospitality and pure kindness. Also, the restaurant staff is professional and quick on their feet. And the Cabin Manager will also go out of his way to show you the local beaver or get a boat ready for your use.

However, don't expect a friendly "Welcome to Sun Mountain", when you walk through the front doors of the main lodge. The reception staff were so engrossed in their own conversations, that they didn't bother to look up ANY of the times we walked through the front door. Only the Sat. am concierge seemed the least bit interested in helping us with our dinner reservations and questions.

However icy the reception staff is, expect it even cooler in the spa. I inquired if "shower facilities' were available and the person working in the spa check-in, peered over her glasses and asked "why are you not a guest here?" As a matter of fact, I was a $300+ paying guest, staying in the cabins which are a 1.5 mile drive down a steep hill and I didn't want to have to go back and get cleaned up for dinner if shower facilities were available. She informed me that due to the timing of the appointments, shower facilities in the rooms were not available for use and that I could use the basement shower next to the fitness room. If there had not been a 24 hour cancellation provision, I would have cancelled my appointment due to the rudeness of this person. Also, the treatment rooms open up over the lobby entrance and any noise, weddings, parties, etc. will drown out any relaxing thoughts you might have.

We loved our cabin by the lake, but it is a 1.5 mile drive (up a very steep hill) to the main lodge. Also, a wedding party had booked the majority of the cabins - why were we placed smack dab in the middle and not off to one of the end cabins? and proceeded to party, party, party into the wee hours 2 of the nights we were there. It would have been nice if reservations would have mentioned this at the time of booking.

While families have been coming to this spot for 30 years, management might want to think about a refresher course in hospitality for it's reception and spa staff. Have them spend a day in the stables - it will be well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank IslandMom64
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I am so very sorry for the "icy" service you received from my Receptionists in both the Spa and Front Desk. I appreciate so very much that you have alerted me to this and I am taking care of it. We have become known for our friendly hospitality, such as you received from Red at the stables and Dave at the cabins.

I will have this handled in short order!