Sun Mountain Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$67
$64
Hotels.com
Hotel Rio Vista(Winthrop)
AbbyCreek Inn(Winthrop)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspatterson lakedining roomrobinson roomshorseback ridingbar grillmain restaurantwolf creek barcombo dinnerski shophiking trailsget awaytennis courtssleigh ridegames roomjacuzzi tubeggs benedictcity life
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We were so impressed with our first stay here, my husband and I decided to take a romantic getaway trip over Christmas. While the lodge & surroundings are still beautiful, clean, and breathtaking, the customer service is still lacking.

The hotel has a strict no pet policy, and make you sign a form upon registration saying you won't bring in any pets. We paid a lot of money to stay in a nicer suite in the Robinson building. As it turns out, the guests that were staying in the room next to us decided to bring their dog with them, despite the no pet policy. Although I didn't see the dog, boy did we hear it. It woke us up with its continual yappy, loud barking. It barked for hours. My husband phoned the front desk several times to complain and they said simply that there was nothing they could do. They didn't apologize or anything, no discounts for a miserable nights sleep, no acknowledgement, nothing. After a couple more hours of continual barking I called the front desk and got the same response. They said they sent their housekeeper down there to "investigate" but ultimately nothing was actually done. It seemed as though they had our money and ultimately didn't care about our experience after that.

The lodge is beautiful, the food from the restaurant was fantastic and tasteful, the service from the wait staff at the restaurant was excellent, and the wine (huge selection) was really good. The wine director was professional, friendly and personable. It's a shame that on both occasions visiting this resort the customer service (front desk) fell short, and how such a seemingly small part of a trip can overshadow what is otherwise a really pleasant resort.

Another thing that seemed a bit odd was the bar closing at 9pm. We arrived at the lodge at 9:10pm after a long day of driving and was looking forward to unwinding with a drink and appetizers which we had previously had & enjoyed there at our last visit. We were disappointed with this early closing time. There was also no room service available (or late-night snack option anywhere), so good thing we had brought some snacks with us.

We may or may not stay here again after this last visit. We'll definitely be investigating similar resorts nearby as a first line option.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the Robinson building, ask for a room on the UPPER LEVEL! They cost the same as those on the lower level, but you don't have to hear the housekeeping carts, people walking above you, etc- a much quieter experience! A bonus if you can get a room on the upper level right at the end of the building=prime spot.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Having spent 8 months in Iraq and other locations serving in the armed forces it was a rare treat to be able to spend time with my wife during the holidays. We have stayed here once before during the summer a year ago prior to my deployment and thought of no place better to celebrate and relax upon my return. Quiet and relaxation is the key here..........we payed for the Robinson suite which is quite a bit more for it's seclution and quiet only to be woken up by a barking, yelping dog at 0700 am. This went on for 45 min before I called the front desk (which says it doesnt allow animals) and told them the situation. They thanked us for alerting them to this and said they would take care of it, 45 min later dog still barking and yelping, my wife is awakened this time and calls the front desk herself and is told "oh yes its a service dog" Well the conversation goes on and my wife explains that this couple has left their "service dog" in the room which is fishy and the dog is crying due to this. They explain to her that they cannot inquire into the nature of the "service dogs" reason for being there as this would be discrimination. Another 45 min goes by when we hear the couple walk into the foyer that seperates the 2 rooms laughing about how their dog almost had them kicked out. Obviously not a service dog and our Christmas morning been ruined we figured the front desk would offer some type of apology or compensation. Tired and annoyed we checked out and nothing was said other then how rude of those people by the desk clerk????? Unbelievable. So for all you dog owners out there, if you want to bring your dog on vacation to a NO PET lodge just tell them its a service dog and you'll have no problems. As for me I will not go out of my way to stay here and spend well over 250.00 a night to deal with something like that. Ive stayed many places, really nice and really crappy and I can honestly say this is the first time a dog has woken me up, I think even a Motel 8 would have the customer service common sense to offer a discount or at the very least an apology to keep returning customers coming back!

Room Tip: Make sure the neighbor does not have a dog, if they do demand to be moved ; )
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nate B
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed here over the Christmas holiday (2011).

The pros: gorgeous location, excellent access to extensive cross country ski trails, extremely friendly and pleasant staff, beautiful views from the rooms (we stayed in a Mount Robinson, knowledgeable and friendly staff at the ski shop, strong and very reliable wifi.

The cons: while the lodge is definitely the nicest place for miles around (except for possibly renting a house), we are not talking Four Seasons luxe. The rooms are nice and have views that are to die for, but the furniture and fixtures are pretty generic. This was not a downside to us, but if you are expecting something extremely stylish or cutting edge, this is not the place.

We had tons of fun with the cross country skiing. You can rent equipment at the lodge, and there are several systems of interconnecting trails all over the Methow Valley. You have to drive a bit to get to the various different trails. when we arrived, the snow was just okay, but still very ski-able. Then it snowed a few inches and became excellent. There seems to be the most snow in the Mazama area. There are lots of good beginner trails, as well as more challenging ones.

The food at the lodge was pretty good. There is an upscale restaurant option, and the food was very good at dinner. There is also a bar, with decent burgers and pretty good salads. The breakfasts were also overallnice. I enjoyed the food (and again, it seems to be the best option in the area), but there were some bumps in the road (oatmeal at breakfast, Cobb salad).

Overall, we had a super time. If you like outdoorsy things, you will have a great time here!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Buben
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Great stay, very relaxing, lots of activities available, both indoor and outdoor. The food is wonderful, and the dining room only adds to the experience. When on the upper Cascades loop will stay nowhere else!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2011

This wonderful bit of heaven on earth was built in the late 60's, and I have been staying there since 1972, not quite every year, but just about. It sits perched atop a 3000 foot mountain a few miles outside Winthrop Washington, and overlooks the beautiful Methow Valley. There are year-round activities available such as cross-country skiing, mountain biking with rentals, tennis courts, and a host of other pleasures. They have a five-star restaurant with a massive wine-cellar, and a great pub, the Wolf Creek Lounge; dining experiences are always exceptional. Also featured are a spa, gift shop, games room, two heated outdoor pools and hot tubs, etc. Their website gives a much fuller description than I can:
Now that I am nearing my dotage I go with my wife just once a year for a week - well, sometimes twice - and we go mainly just to relax, enjoy the tranquillity, beautiful scenery, sit in the hot tub overlooking the valley, breathing the fresh air, eating good food and enjoying good local wines. A trip down to the town of Winthrop to putter around the shops is a pleasant diversion, and there are several good restaurants, including our favorite for breakfast, the Duck Brand Inn, a funky old place on the main (only) street that serves mountainous portions of great Mexican food. I'll save that for another review.
The accommodations at SML are wonderful. We usually get a suite and are joined by friends for part of the week. Modern spacious and yet cozy rooms, with no TV, but piped-in classical music will greet you upon arrival - a lovely touch. Wi-fi is included. Getting there is easy for us - it's about a four-hour drive from our home in Kelowna BC. Straight south on highway 97, turn right at Okanogan onto highway 20 toward Winthrop, then follow the signs.
See you there?