“Tons of fun and great service!”

Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wet Planet Rafting and Kayaking - is located 10 min. North of Hood River, Oregon. Get out on the river with us for river rafting in Oregon and Washington and whitewater kayak instruction. Classes and trips for all skill levels, and ages starting at 10. Daily, from April through September. Just 1 hour and 15 min. East of Portland, Oregon. Known for some of the best whitewater in the country, all summer long, get out on the river with Wet Planet right here in the Columbia River Gorge area. Enjoy our riverside facilities and outdoor Wet Planet Grill with delicious locally sourced Farm-to-Table food, cold local beer on tap and a selection of area's best wines.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 14, 2013

There's not reason to choose any other outfit than Wet Planet. We took their White Salmon trip and had a fantastic time. Our guide (Big John) was professional, funny, and totally capable. The whole team was very communicative and did a great job. They walk every participant through each step and let you know what to expect on the river. Their equipment is nice and new -- which is not the case for every rafting company.The river is amazing and very safe for kids 10 and up. What I liked is that each participant can tailor the trip based on their comfort level. For example, there is a 20-foot cliff jump that is optional based on your comfort level. Also, there is a big waterfall that is also optional. Everyone that did both was totally safe. All the employees were fantastic. I can't wait to go again. And it was a great value. Thx Big John and thx Wet Planet for an amazing day!

There are newer reviews for Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family and I have just returned to the UK after a 3 week trip to the Pacific North West. My son and I are keen whitewater kayakers and wanted to experience one of the rivers in this region. Having looked at a few companies I booked Wet Planet because the White Salmon river sounded ideal for us – challenging enough but not so hard that we’d end up “damaged” for the rest of our holiday!
We arrived and were soon introduced to our instructor, Clay, who would be looking after us. He sorted us out with all the kit we needed and my son selected a brand new Jackson Zen that had not been used before. I was really impressed by the number of good quality kayaks they had in their rack.

We started off at BZ Corner and paddled all the way down to Husum Falls. All throughout the run down Clay would stop and talk about the rapids that were coming up and which lines we should choose etc which really put us at ease.

Lunch was provided which was good quality and we had time to warm ourselves in the sun before our second run down. My son and both felt a bit cold at the end of the first run down, as we only had rash tops under the semi-dry cags that they provided so Clay went and got us some fleeces to wear – I was very impressed that everything was provided for, even thermal gear!

The second run down was even better as we added another couple of miles of grade IV to the trip and even though we were both very tired by the time we got to Husum Falls, we still had enough energy to run it again.

I would definitely recommend Wet Planet to anyone considering rafting or kayaking, as they really look after you.

WetPlanet, Owner at Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you so much for traveling out to America's Pacific Northwest, and to get out on the White Salmon River with Wet Planet for a day of whitewater kayaking. Thank you for sharing your experience, and I will pass on the word to Clay, as he will appreciate hearing that! Please consider joining us again for different kayaking adventures, such as our multi-day trips which are such a unique experience for folks from Europe (am European myself)! Cheers and thanks again.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This trip included our second visit to Wet Planet because we had so much fun last time. Our trip differed a little bit then last time, but nonetheless, still very fun!

When you first arrive, they will get everyone in a group and go over some instructions. Then, you will get suited up in a wet suit, shoes, helmet, jacket, and life vest. (Where a swimsuit or shorts and tank top underneath .. nothing with cotton.) In this particular trip, we walked up near the falls where you can take a glance at what you could go over if you wanted towards the end of trip. Next, we took a short bus ride up to the location where you hike down towards the river. One of the staff went over safety measures, precautions, and scenarios to make sure every one was well prepared. We were split up into groups and sent with a guide.

If you don't mind getting a little wet and cold, take a seat up front, that's where the most action is. If you want things a little more mellow, sit towards the back. Either way, the ride is very enjoyable and the guides are very humorous and easy going. Part way down the river, they had to send the rafts down some falls so we all crawled out, scaled up the ride of the river, then (if you wanted..) you could climb down and get back in your raft OR you could jump off a small cliff (maybe 20 to 30 ft up) that was right by the falls and swim towards the raft when you resurfaced. I'm more of the daring type, so I was the first girl to jump off after a few of the guys. Aim for the middle! It's quite a rush and the water was cold! But there's a lot of hands reaching out to get you hauled back into a raft so don't worry about missing slipping past. And if you a feeling super adventurous, I suggest going down the final waterfall. A lot of the pictures (including my own) can do the explaining.

If you have the opportunity to book with Wet Planet, I highly recommend doing so. This is our second time rafting with this crew and each time, we have had an absolute blast!

WetPlanet, Owner at Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for coming back to raft the White Salmon River with us again! Glad to hear you had a great time again, and for sharing your experience. We will pass on the words of appreciation to the staff on your trip. Yes, rafting this river during different times of the season provides a different trip and experience. We are fortunate we can run this river year round! Each water level has its perks! Since you are the daring type, you would also love the Wind River which we run during the Spring months! See you next time and hanks again!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our family took a half day whitewater rafting trip with Wet Planet last week on the White Salmon River, class 3 and 4. The river was beautiful, and there was just enough rapids to make it fun and challenging, with a little down time to enjoy the beauty as well. Our guide, BIG JOHN, was awesome, taking time to show us extra scenery and explain different parts of the river. Great time had by all.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

A friend and I wanted to take a multi-day whitewater trip somewhere out west, and decided to book Wet Planet's trip on the Lower Salmon River. I am a kayaker, but my buddy isn't, so we booked one of the rafting trips then coordinated with Wet Planet to set up a kayak guide / instructor for me, while my buddy rode the rafts.

The trip was incredible. The guides were cheerful and helpful, and overall customer service was superb. The meals were fantastic, and tasted even better enjoyed in the wilderness. The descriptions on the Wet Planet website of the area are right on - a spectacularly beautiful river with great campsites on white sandy beaches. Late on the third afternoon, after we were set up at our campsite next to a calm water section of the river, I took the stand up paddleboard that they had brought along and paddled a few hundred yards back upstream into Blue Canyon, and just listened to the silence. At night I used my tent to stow my stuff, but slept on a sleeping pad outside under the stars. Life should be like this more often....

I had an absolute blast kayaking the rapids - big, fun water that was mostly without big consequences to worry about if I screwed up. Day two was a particular highlight. Snow Hole was the first legitimate Class IV rapid that I had seen in a kayak. After scouting and talking about the line, my instructor let me lead the way through; I hit the line that I wanted and came out the bottom of the rapid grinning like an idiot. That was one of my best days on a river yet, and every day on the Salmon was a great one.

The kayak instruction that I received from the Wet Planet instructor was particulary outstanding. I found him to be a superb teacher - cheerful and enthusiastic about the sport, extremely knowledgeable, patient with his instruction, and always striking the right balance between pushing limits and conservatively keeping safety in mind. Thanks to him, I am a significantly better paddler than I was at when we put in at Pine Bar.

This is a fantastic trip that I would recommend to anyone - rafter or kayaker, expert or novice - and Wet Planet did such a great job putting it together that I would confidently book any of their trips that I could find time to take in the future. I hope that I can find that time soon.