“Outstanding raft / kayak trip to the Lower Salmon River”

Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wet Planet Rafting and Kayaking - is located 10 min. North of Hood River, Oregon. Get out on the river with us for river rafting in Oregon and Washington and whitewater kayak instruction. Classes and trips for all skill levels, and ages starting at 10. Daily, from April through September. Just 1 hour and 15 min. East of Portland, Oregon. Known for some of the best whitewater in the country, all summer long, get out on the river with Wet Planet right here in the Columbia River Gorge area. Enjoy our riverside facilities and outdoor Wet Planet Grill with delicious locally sourced Farm-to-Table food, cold local beer on tap and a selection of area's best wines.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
USA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Outstanding raft / kayak trip to the Lower Salmon River”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

A friend and I wanted to take a multi-day whitewater trip somewhere out west, and decided to book Wet Planet's trip on the Lower Salmon River. I am a kayaker, but my buddy isn't, so we booked one of the rafting trips then coordinated with Wet Planet to set up a kayak guide / instructor for me, while my buddy rode the rafts.

The trip was incredible. The guides were cheerful and helpful, and overall customer service was superb. The meals were fantastic, and tasted even better enjoyed in the wilderness. The descriptions on the Wet Planet website of the area are right on - a spectacularly beautiful river with great campsites on white sandy beaches. Late on the third afternoon, after we were set up at our campsite next to a calm water section of the river, I took the stand up paddleboard that they had brought along and paddled a few hundred yards back upstream into Blue Canyon, and just listened to the silence. At night I used my tent to stow my stuff, but slept on a sleeping pad outside under the stars. Life should be like this more often....

I had an absolute blast kayaking the rapids - big, fun water that was mostly without big consequences to worry about if I screwed up. Day two was a particular highlight. Snow Hole was the first legitimate Class IV rapid that I had seen in a kayak. After scouting and talking about the line, my instructor let me lead the way through; I hit the line that I wanted and came out the bottom of the rapid grinning like an idiot. That was one of my best days on a river yet, and every day on the Salmon was a great one.

The kayak instruction that I received from the Wet Planet instructor was particulary outstanding. I found him to be a superb teacher - cheerful and enthusiastic about the sport, extremely knowledgeable, patient with his instruction, and always striking the right balance between pushing limits and conservatively keeping safety in mind. Thanks to him, I am a significantly better paddler than I was at when we put in at Pine Bar.

This is a fantastic trip that I would recommend to anyone - rafter or kayaker, expert or novice - and Wet Planet did such a great job putting it together that I would confidently book any of their trips that I could find time to take in the future. I hope that I can find that time soon.

Louisville, Colorado
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“My first rafting trip - would recommend Wet Planet without hesitation”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Went down the White Salmon with Giani @ Wet Planet. It was my first rafting trip (not counting floating down the Comal and Frio rivers in TX, but those don't really count) so I was 90% excited & 10% nervous.

The folks at Wet Planet are total pros. You can just feel their level of understanding making the trip fun/safe, but also providing lots of information about the area and creating a friendly environment for their customers.

Tons of smiles from everyone in our boat. Some of us were newbies and some were experienced, so Wet Planet did a great job of tailoring the trip for everyone.

1 Thank Converse99
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Visiting Hood River, OR. We did the half day white salmon river rafting trip. It was excellent! Our guide, Gianni(?), was an excellent source of local info/history/places to go. Definitely worth it.

1 Thank Family C
Fort Myers, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Excellent Class IV Rapids Day!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I were staying in Portland and found Wet Planet on tripadvisor. We're fairly experienced white water rafters but have to say that the White Salmon River was outrageously fun! We arrived at Wet Planet's headquarters and suited up for the fun. I usually wear a shorty wet suit that I own - and wore this summer in Brown Canyon on the Arkansas River in Colorado. But the guides warned me that these waters from Mount Adams are in the mid-40s so I better wear their farmer john wetsuits and splash jacket. Good advice as it turns out. Giani, our guide, was great - especially as he explained the final rapid - a 12 foot waterfall - and guided us through it! No pressure from him or other guides - some rafters decided to walk around that final rapid - but my wife and I did it and glad we did. At another point upstream we had to portage around a waterfall that was too rough and had logs strewn over river - but to get back on boat offered those brave enough to jump off a 15 foot or so cliff! Great day! Would highly recommend Wet Planet!

2 Thank GatorCraig
Black Diamond
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“White Salmon River”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was a great trip, it takes 5 hours from start to finish. But the actual rafting time is 2.5 to 3 hrs. The instruction was very good and the people there are so nice. Kids have a great time and I think they should be around 13 to go, any younger and it might be to much. But if you kids are well behaved and good swimmers at 10 the go for it. The waterfall is so much fun, it is a must do. It is not that bad and you will make it through . July and August are the times to go. Our instructor Travis is the best, look for the pink helmet dude. Big John is ok too. Great day and we enjoyed it very much will do more trips.

1 Thank Roger B