“My first rafting trip - would recommend Wet Planet without hesitation”

Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wet Planet Rafting and Kayaking - is located 10 min. North of Hood River, Oregon. Get out on the river with us for river rafting in Oregon and Washington and whitewater kayak instruction. Classes and trips for all skill levels, and ages starting at 10. Daily, from April through September. Just 1 hour and 15 min. East of Portland, Oregon. Known for some of the best whitewater in the country, all summer long, get out on the river with Wet Planet right here in the Columbia River Gorge area. Enjoy our riverside facilities and outdoor Wet Planet Grill with delicious locally sourced Farm-to-Table food, cold local beer on tap and a selection of area's best wines.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Went down the White Salmon with Giani @ Wet Planet. It was my first rafting trip (not counting floating down the Comal and Frio rivers in TX, but those don't really count) so I was 90% excited & 10% nervous.

The folks at Wet Planet are total pros. You can just feel their level of understanding making the trip fun/safe, but also providing lots of information about the area and creating a friendly environment for their customers.

Tons of smiles from everyone in our boat. Some of us were newbies and some were experienced, so Wet Planet did a great job of tailoring the trip for everyone.

1  Thank Converse99

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Visiting Hood River, OR. We did the half day white salmon river rafting trip. It was excellent! Our guide, Gianni(?), was an excellent source of local info/history/places to go. Definitely worth it.

1  Thank Family C
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I were staying in Portland and found Wet Planet on tripadvisor. We're fairly experienced white water rafters but have to say that the White Salmon River was outrageously fun! We arrived at Wet Planet's headquarters and suited up for the fun. I usually wear a shorty wet suit that I own - and wore this summer in Brown Canyon on the Arkansas River in Colorado. But the guides warned me that these waters from Mount Adams are in the mid-40s so I better wear their farmer john wetsuits and splash jacket. Good advice as it turns out. Giani, our guide, was great - especially as he explained the final rapid - a 12 foot waterfall - and guided us through it! No pressure from him or other guides - some rafters decided to walk around that final rapid - but my wife and I did it and glad we did. At another point upstream we had to portage around a waterfall that was too rough and had logs strewn over river - but to get back on boat offered those brave enough to jump off a 15 foot or so cliff! Great day! Would highly recommend Wet Planet!

2  Thank GatorCraig
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was a great trip, it takes 5 hours from start to finish. But the actual rafting time is 2.5 to 3 hrs. The instruction was very good and the people there are so nice. Kids have a great time and I think they should be around 13 to go, any younger and it might be to much. But if you kids are well behaved and good swimmers at 10 the go for it. The waterfall is so much fun, it is a must do. It is not that bad and you will make it through . July and August are the times to go. Our instructor Travis is the best, look for the pink helmet dude. Big John is ok too. Great day and we enjoyed it very much will do more trips.

1  Thank Roger B
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I highly recommend Wet Planet for those looking to raft or kayak the White Salmon River. Their operation is friendly, professional, and safety-conscious. When there was a bit of a mixup in my online reservation (albeit my fault), the girl who runs things at the counter (can't remember her name, sorry!) was resolving the problem and squaring me away over the phone.

Their facilities are clean and welcoming. The changing facilities are laid out well. The equipment all appeared to be mostly new or in very good shape. Our raft's guide Gianni (sp?) was excellent, as was the rest of the staff in welcoming us to their HQ, letting us know what to expect, what to do, what not to do, etc. The safety and paddling briefing before we put in was helpful and just the right length.

The only knocks I might have are that there are no lockers for storage (you have to use your car), and the cost of the photos (which they take of you and your party at various points in the course with a DSLR) which you can buy in the shop afterwards. But at least the cost is "per raft" so if a bunch of you go in on it, it's definitely the way to go, as they come out great. Oh, and we couldn't do the falls that particular day, as it was deemed too dangerous, but oh well, that's hardly a knock on them that they put safety first. They're really good about the bridge jump, and there is zero pressure applied to anyone to do it (which I went ahead and did anyway).

All in all, a great time and reasonably priced introduction to the sport/activity for this WWR newbie. I would definitely ride with these guys again!

WetPlanet, Owner at Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you for sharing your excellent experience rafting for the first time, and with Wet Planet. We love introducing folks to the river, creating appreciation and getting them hopefully hooked!
I will also pass on the kind words about your experience with Gianni and the reservations team - they always enjoy hearing they do a good job!
Thank you also about the feedback of the lockers and the photographs. While many people find it convenient to leave their belongings in their own car, we are always happy to offer a place to store your belongings in case you don't have a car.
The price for the CD with full series of photographs is $45 per boat. For a full boat of friends, the price per person for a full series of photographs on CD comes to roughly $8. We understand not everyone can afford a cd with the full series of photographs but are still looking for a memento. You can also just pick one beautifully printed 8x10 for $17.
Please come back again this summer, and we are happy to buy you a drink on the house - thanks again for getting out on the river with us. Cheers!