“Absolutely filthy and ill equipped room.”
Review of Harbor Resort

Harbor Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Westport
washington
“Absolutely filthy and ill equipped room.”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

My husband, son, daughter-in-law, their 3 young children and I rented the cottages for one night, possibly two. Costing over $140 for one and $129 for the other, we expected a pretty decent place to stay...OH.....were we in for a big surprise. As soon as we stepped in the door the odor hit us in the face. The countertops were dirty, the table was covered in something sticky, the white cabinets were filthy. The top cupboard where the pans were kept were full of crumbs and other things. My sheets were covered in black dog hair, and what looked like blood. I got clean sheets from the office and changed them myself. They did not seemed to concerned about that. The bathroom and other parts of the place were covered in black mold, which did a number on my asthma breathing it in all night. The top of the stove was covered, and I mean covered, in grease and burnt on food, I scrubbed it as well as I could just to cook our meal. I swept the floor twice and wiped it with antibicterial wipes before we would even let the grandchildren on it. The heater did not work, you could turn on the gas fireplace, but could not regulate it. The heater vents stuck up so far you tripped on them. The smoke alarms went off the entire time I tried to cook, due to the burnt on food that had never been cleaned off. Oh, and the fridge had fish and chips in it left over from who knows when...And the blankets and bedspreads looked like they had never been washed. When checking out the next morning (needless to say, they couldn't of paid us to stay again), I told the office about how our room was, and his comment was ,oh, Im sorry, I will speak to housekeeping.
Are you kidding me????? We just spent $270 for 2 rooms, 1 night, and I spent the 1st hour and a half cleaning it myself. Money is tight for everyone in this economy, but when you do save to get away, you do not expect to be ripped off like this. The view was fabulous, but the room was the pits...Do yourself and your wallet and your health a favor, stay somewhere else...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank vtechWashington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Carnation, WA
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Based on the reviews I'd read, I didn't expect much and I got worse! Pretty much everything in our room was broken...the blinds fell down when we tried to open them, smoke alarm went off due to steam from the bathroom, couldn't figure out how to turn the stove on and then when we finally did, couldn't get it turned off. I've never seen a lock on the inside of a shower door before....but we figured out that it was there to keep the shower door closed! We were there for 2 nights and our room was never cleaned on the 2nd day. Advertised as a room with a queen bed and single...ended up being a queen bed on a cobbled together double frame and then a rollaway instead of a single bed...which there was hardly room for. My daughter ended up putting the mattress on the floor. Kitchenette was very ill-equipped ...only 2 plates and 2 forks...and water was barely warm enough to wash the dishes in the teeny tiny sink. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. We enjoyed Westport for a few days on a long weekend but never again at this place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank K_Manuel

Travelers are raving about these Westport hotels

Seattle
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We had a reservation for two nights for $129 a night plus $10 daily pet fee. The unit we were given had a strong odor of mold, the futon/sofa in the sitting area was broken. The bedding was dingy but we decided to make the best of it. They had a small energy effcient space heater because the "regular heater" was broken. When we turned on the space heater the circuits over loaded and the place went dark. The office was closed so my husband started searching for circuit breaker, which he never found but he did find. Rat traps, rodent droppings, and sub-stardard wiring. That's when he said "we are checking out!." The office was closed but he found the desk clerk who was still on site. The clerk offered to have us change units, but at point we had lost all confidence in the safety of the place. The clerk was going to process a refund but his boss (a very unpleasent woman) came out shouting that all these problems were temporary and that they wouldn't give us a refund. In the end they did refund the second night but we lost $145 (room, pet fee & tax. The other units might better but it was obvcious from the clerk's reaction that this was a common problem. The truly sad part is this place obviously had a great deal of charm and comfort at one time but it has been run in the ground by poor management/ownership.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HobartMom
Washington
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I am planning on returning to Westport and I always stay here. I just visited their website and noticed that it is now under new owners and the reviews since they have taken over seem to have gone down hill. So maybe I will choose another place. However due to some of the Reviews I feel the need to write one I should have a long time ago. I'm not really sure what people expect while traveling to Westport. It's a small fishing based town with great views. I always had great stays here while Mark and Desiree owned it. They always had great staff and it was always a wonderful time. One thing to keep in mind here is that if you want a luxury vacation Westport probably isn't for you. It's a wonderful place to enjoy a charter trip or walk on the beach. If you want a place to get away this is it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank laydazy82
Orting
Reviewed January 29, 2010

My husband and I suffered a loss - my husband's grandfather died and we had to leave town unexpectedly to go be with my husband's grandmother. His grandparents raised him. We had to cancel our reservation on short notice - I advised the hotel via email what happened. I expected a nominal cancellation fee, however; we were charged for one night's stay. So much for compassion in business!!

Stayed January 2010
2 Thank Dot2010
Seattle-Tacoma
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We liked to go to the ocean in mid winter and watch the winter storms. Usually, we go to Ocean Shores or Long Beach. But this time we decided on Westport.
We stayed 3 nights in cabin 8, the one nearest the office/hotel. We were somewhat wary, having read some negative reviews. But what a pleasant surprise. The cabin was clean, well furnished, and comfortable. The gas fireplace and furnace kept us warm, cozy, and dry from the gale force winds, driving rain, and crashing surf.
While our cabin stayed dry, at high tide the seas came over the sea wall and flooded the access road about 200 yards from our cabin. We had to wait for low tide to allow the water to drain away before leaving for lunch downtown. But that's part of the fun of the North Pacific ocean in winter.
We enjoyed watching the fishing fleet coming in and going out, passing just a few dozen yards from our front window. Also the cormorants, great blue herons, and seagulls. I also enjoyed walking the many floats in the marina and watching all the activity there.
The one minor negative mentioned in another review was the bright outdoor flood lights which kept the bedroom from getting as dark as we would have liked. But I solved that problem. I picked up a small, cheap plastic tarp from a hardware store and draped it over the curtain rod. That worked real well.
The bed wasn't the best, but it was OK. The staff was friendly and helpful.
In short, we had a good, relaxing time and hope to return.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Wow love this place. We stayed in cottage 15 overlooking the marina. Fishing ,sea lions and boats what fun. Could hear the sea lions at night and watched fishermnan catch salmon right off the dock. The cottage actually a parkhome trailer was nicely furnished with great view ,kitchen and kept very warm in the unit. Great wifi connectivity always on never lost signal. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful. They got us everything we needed. There was a great storm there the first night we were there and it was great. Will come again and again. Been there twice already.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
Westport Marina Cottages Motel
#6 of 14 in Westport
Canterbury Inn
Canterbury Inn
#1 of 14 in Ocean Shores

Been to Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!