“Great View”
Review of Chateau Westport

Chateau Westport
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The room was very comfortable and had a great view of the ocean even though it is a couple of blocks from the beach. I really like being able to hear the ocean all night. The staff was very accommodating. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Skip the balcony rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Grammy1953619
There are newer reviews for Chateau Westport

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed there for a night recently.

We arrived early, around 11 and lady at the reception told us that our room is not ready and we should come at 4 PM. The way she said it wasn't really nice. It was more like: "Your room is not ready. Come after 4".

We returned around 8PM. The woman at the desk was arguing with another employee there about the fact he didn't pick up the phone on time. It was weird. She didn't stop even when were around.

I agree on another review: “Headed in the wrong direction.”.

Room itself was ok, nothing special.

Breakfast was poor. No protein at all.

I still like location of that hotel. It's in a walking distance from the beach and you can hear waves at night if your window is open.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vladimir G
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hello, my name is Jim. My wife and I have been coming to this establishment since it opened more than 40 years ago. We have always been pleased when staying there. We have told all of our friends and family who travel to Westport about staying there and they have all said the same things about it that we do.

We believe the biggest contributor to our opinion is Linda, the hotel manager, and her wonderful staff members that are always willing to go out of their way to help you feel at home. This is my personal Thank You to each and every team member there. You are all greatly appreciated!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank J T
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights and we dug clams both mornings. It is close to many beaches and parks, and not far from town. There is an excellent Greek restaurant nearby too (Odysseus Restaurnat). Pros at this hotel are: they have a continental breakfast that has a good variety of choices (and they stay open late enough that you can eat after you dig clams!), they have a cleaning station outside for cleaning clams and fish (as well as an ice machine to put your catch on ice), the bed was comfortable, there is a coffee maker in the room as well as a fridge and freezer, always coffee and tea in the lobby, a nice sitting area near the lobby, an inside (warm!) pool and hot tub, the room was clean, and we could see the ocean from our balcony. Cons are: the bathroom door didn't open all the way because it ran into the toilet, and the walls are a bit too thin (we had noisy neighbors on both sides of us...one room was noisy halfway through the night!). We had a lamp that was broken and they replaced it promptly. We would stay here again. One day was rainy and we enjoyed relaxing in the room as well as at the pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony facing the ocean on the upper level would be best for an ocean view, not on th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2lovetraveling2
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I make a trips to Westport once or twice a year. I always stay at the Chateau Westport because it's been the nicest place to stay in the area (In my opinion) for some time. Unfortunately, it's been on a bit of a downward slide over the past three years or so.

The Chateau has always had a dated look and feel. The building is old, the facilities are old, and most of the furniture and fixtures are old. Everything just feels a little tired...not fresh. The Chateau has many of the basics that you'd expect from a hotel these days, but it feels like they are done a little halfheartedly. For instance, I think they are the only, or one of the only, hotels with an indoor pool in Westport, which is GREAT for the weather that the area gets, and for guests who have children. I always see a LOT of families staying there when I am there. On my last few visits however, it really feels like the hotel is annoyed by these guests, instead of happy to serve them. I've been in line at the desk waiting to check in or out, listening to the staff argue with guests about the number of pool towels they can give out, or that a guest's children need to be out of the pool by 8pm (which seems a little excessive to me during the summer when the sun doesn't even set until something like 10pm).

Another thing I've noticed is that there have been a lot of signs posted around the facility relating to the hotel's policies and things like this. While I'm not a huge fan of seeing signs everywhere, I get it. But if you're going to put signs up, do them on something other than cheesy laminated, plain paper, and check for spelling and grammar errors! On a visit last year, I remember a table talker on the breakfast table advertising a "Martian Luther King" holiday special. There are typos literally everywhere in the guest messaging and signs. I'm no English professor, so I understand typos and mistakes like this, but I take the extra time to make sure I don't make these mistakes when I'm dealing with customers. Things like this just lead to a sense that the management isn't paying attention, or perhaps worse, isn't concerned about the details.

I know that these things sound very nit-picky, and many of the things I have noticed by themselves are not cause for alarm, really. But add them all together, and they start to impact the overall experience.

Then we get to the staff.

I started coming to Westport for business in 2009, and I stayed at the Chateau for the first time then. The staff was AMAZING. Warm, friendly, eager to help...so much more than I even expect from some of the nicer hotels I stay at when I travel. I decided to book rooms there every time I was in Westport because the staff was so awesome. The staff always made up for the shortcomings of the building and facilities. I used to see some of the dated details, but they NEVER used to bother me because I was made to feel like the staff were happy I was there. I never felt like I was a burden on anyone by asking a question, I even felt comfortable having short, random conversations with the people at the front desk about the weather, business, and things of this nature. The Chateau was always really busy, especially during those clam dig dates, and the staff always managed to make me feel like I was the only person in the lobby, when they had 20 other guests waiting, and the phones were ringing off-the-hook! There was a really tall, young-ish guy there, and two younger, maybe college-aged girls there that used to knock the cover off the ball with guests. They really knew how to take care of guests, and it really looked like they enjoyed their work!

My last few stays have unfortunately been the exact opposite of my initial stays. I'm not sure if there was a management change or an ownership change, but the staff has been quite rude to many guests, short, and not at all warm or accommodating. I stayed there just this last week, and while I was waiting in line to check out, the woman at the desk was arguing with a guest about a discount that she felt she was supposed to have received and didn't. The woman at the desk didn't resolve the issue, allowed the guest to leave angry, and then actually complained to ME about how "unreasonable" the guest was!! This would have absolutely shocked me if this would have happened back when I first started coming to the Chateau. I'm sad to say that it's just par for the course at the Chateau these days. I simply shrugged.

Here's the kicker...I've never really had any serious issue with any of my stays at the Chateau (aside from the random little hiccups that happen from time to time when you travel a lot). For me, I'm far less concerned about the decor of the rooms, the quality of the breakfast, or the view from the parking lot, than I am with the quality and friendliness of the staff. Make it seem like you are happy that I've chosen to stay at your hotel, and I will stay there for life. I understand how little impact an individual guest has on a business, but I will probably look for alternative for my next trip to Westport. If the ownership reads these reviews, I would respectfully recommend that they bring in some staff who are capable of treating guests like...guests. If they can do that, I think this would be a great place to stay again, but as it is now, I think they are heading in the wrong direction.

Room Tip: Although there isn't a "traditional" bed in the rooms that have a kitchenette, they ha...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Pedro_Baer
Gabrielle W, Front Office Manager at Chateau Westport, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2016

Hello, I have recently decided to start reading reviews prior to May 1, 2014. This is when my manager and I took over and also began changing the Chateau for the better, starting with customer service. As I read your review, it reminded me of the customer service I received from past staff on our first day here. The customer service was the first thing we knew had to be corrected. I am very sorry to hear how your stays began to decline over the years. We would love for you to come stay with us again and find what great things have come about at the Chateau Westport. We are improving every day and will continue to improve always.
Rebecca
Assistant Manager

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Chateau Westport is just a short walk away from the long sandy Westport beach. Rooms on the upper floors have ocean views. Rooms on the lower floor are dog-friendly. In addition to just bedrooms, kitchenettes are available. There is a continental breakfast available. The pool and hot tub are indoors and open year round. Makes a great get-away for a stormy winter weekend or a sunny trip to the beach.

Room Tip: Upper floors have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel and the remodel work has made it much nicer. I just read a couple of reviews complaining about customer service. I just thought the staff lacked personality and smiles, and I couldn't tell any staff member from the ordinary guests. A proud beachy hotel like this deserves happier people to represent it, including the manager. They've put in the work to make it nicer; now update the staff at the desk that it takes to make me feel welcome. I'm going again soon for a wedding in the area, so I'll write again when I return. I hope they read these reviews. I've written the comments at the hotel; now let's see if they do something about the issue.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are so nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Butterfly1124
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
Westport Inn
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores
#7 of 14 in Ocean Shores
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn

Been to Chateau Westport? Share your experiences!