“Grand Coulee Dam”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Wenatchee
Redmond, Washington
“Grand Coulee Dam”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have been living in Washington State for 28 years but I have never been to the Grand Coulee Dam which was strongly recommanded by many civil engineering friends of mine. Due to the distance between Seattle and the dam location, making a day trip back and forth is awfully difficult without stretching one's limits to an extreme.

This summer I took my 2 kids to pay homage to this engineering monument for the first time. In order to make it more pleasant without rushing back, I decided to spend 2 nights in Wenatchee for a very simple reason --- Wenatchee is the biggest town/city within that part of the Central Washington. I had plans to see Lake Chelan and the Grand Coulee Dam. Lake Chelan has a lot of vacation homes but no franchise hotels, any of the hotels available in Lake Chelan area are
so expensive, the rate is much higher than the regular hotel/motels. Wenatchee becomes the only city that franchise hotels are available in the radius of 50 miles.

I booked the SpringHills Suites which is a Marriott hotel in disguise. It is a pretty brand new hotel about 2 years old. So,everything is still quite fresh and "modern". My 2 kids each claimed a queen sized bed and I ended up sleeping on the sofa bed which is a standard in most of the suites available.

One special feature in this hotel is the partition between the bedroom side and the sitting room side is a sliding translucent glass panel which I can watch my kids to slide it open or closing it when my kids are in bed.

It also breakdown the bathroom into 2 separate entities -- one with a toilet bowl & a basin and the other one is the shower/tub and a basin with all the hotel amenities which is thoughtfully planned out.

I requested the highest floor and the hotel honored my wishes.

The indoor swimming pool is decent with a ring above dripping water in continuously which is nice and refreshing. The shower room in the swimming pool area was broken and it seemed to be broken for quite awhile. A jacuzzi is also available on the side.

The breakfast is pretty standard but not as many choices as many other Marriotts I have seen. But they do offer different menus for supper time free. Monday is ribs and Tuesday is Tacos etc.
Comparing with most Marriotts, food are available on Monday and Wednesday only.

The whole hotel environment is clean and quiet. The hotel is located on the main street of the city which is very easy to find. We are happy with the facillities and we will definitely return if we need to spend overnight at Wenatchee again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel L
Shane O, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Wenatchee, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
yumfook,

Thank you for your very detailed reveiw. We get a lot of review's, but none quite as extensive as the one you wrote and I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed Grand Coulee Dam as it is an extensive piece of engineering to marvel at. I wanted to let you know we have the sofa bed in all of our suites and we all love the disign of the suites also. I apologize for our pool shower being broken and will speak with our head engineer about it today. We hope to see you the next time you are able to make it to Wenatchee.

Wenatchee, WA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Wenatchee, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My daughter and I wanted to do something special together before she started kindergarten, so we decided to try an sleepover at SpringHill. The entire stay way perfect! The staff rolled out the red carpet for her and she felt so special. We didn't leave the facility once, we enjoyed dinner and breakfast, went swimming and loved the clean and spacious room. I will be back but next time it will be with my husband!
Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ashley K,

Thank you for your great review of our hotel. I hope your daughter is having fun in Kindergarten. I am so happy that your daughter felt so special when staying here, we hope everyone does. We look forward to seeing you and your husband in the future, maybe with one of our romance packages.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This Springhill looks like the best option in Wenatchee -- The Hotel if very new and has a lot of "designer" touches for a mid-priced hotel. I've stayed here twice this summer. The suites feature separate bath + "powder room" 1/2 bath. Nicer rooms than Courtyard Hotels, plus free basic breakfast included, similar to other Springhills. Outdoor patio with "sofa" seating. Nice staff, and very well kept facilities so far.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
phedras,

Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us twice this summer, love to hear that. Nicer rooms than a Courtyard, awesome, we love the disign of this hotel and it is good to hear that other people do as well. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I have reviewed this hotel previously and I am reviewing it again to highlight that the rooms are a delightful change from the tried-and-true format found in most places in the same price range. We again enjoyed the unusual floor plan and color scheme of the room.

However, we did not like the industrial view from Room 315, which is on the back of the building. Noise from the business located there awakened us at 5:30 a.m.

Room Tip: Counter-intuitively, ask for a room facing Wenatchee Avenue.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
wonderfulworld,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel again. I apologize about the early noise from our neighbors, unfortunately I can't help our close proximity to them. I am so happy you enjoy the layout of our rooms and the design of our hotel, it is something we find people like time and again and it never gets old. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Pacific Northwest
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here for just one night and it has all the basic amenities of a hotel - clean, modern feel. Of note is that the night we were there they served homemade cookies in the lobby. We all thought these were the highlight of the trip and were talking about them for days. One gripe, however, is that breakfast feels a touch crowded (line never seemed to end for the one wafflemaker) and was served with paper plates and plastic utensils that were trashed rather than recycled or composted. Still, on a multi-night vacation, this was the nicest spot. Customer service was very attentive and responsive, far exceeding other places we stayed. Good choice for business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
bluntrater,

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate the honesty of your review as well. One tip is that we do fresh cookies every night from 7pm to 9pm so come stay with us again if you can. Unfortunately we were down one waffle maker when you happened to stay with us, we have the second one back now and that should help with the line. Thank you again for your review and I hope we see you again in the future.

Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a fine hotel. We had a king mini-suite that provided everything we needed.
Spacious, clean and up to date decor. After an early check out and several miles down the road we discovered we had left our water bottles in the refrigerator. As we were coming back through the area later in the day I called to see if they could find them and hold them at the front desk. We stopped back by and picked them up and discovered later when we took a drink that the staff had filled them with fresh lemon water. So, if the management of this hotel reads this I hope they know that they have staff there that goes above and beyond for its customers. And it does matter. We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mary Lou C,

I love hearing about the way's in which the staff go above and beyond to please our guests, especially when its the little things. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Thank you very much for your kind review.

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Spent three nights here during recent business meeting in Wenatchee and was very impressed. The rooms are large and well furnished. The morning breakfast buffet is typical of hotels of this class but it was ample and there was a nice selection including fresh fruit. On two of our nights there was a complimentary managers dinner with complementary beer and wine. We only ate there are our first night and it was baked potato and brown rice night. Again, more than enough food and since we were bone tired and did not want to leave hotel this was perfect. If you're travelling by yourself or as a couple be sure to ask for a room with one King bed. Also if it's important to have full bathtub be sure to put that request in too. The location is good, close to nearby downtown area and all major highways. The staff was super nice and the fitness center solid. I don't like indoor pools in summer months so did not use it but I am sure this would be nice feature in the colder winter months. We found the entire hotel very modern, clean and bright and the complimentary wi fi was nice too. All in all this was great hotel and we have already made a reservation for a return trip. By the way there is no restaurant on the property but as mentioned above the breakfast buffet is solid and there are many restaurants within an easy walk including a great Italian restaurant just across the street.

Room Tip: If you want room with one bed only be sure to ask; same if you want a full size bathtub. The hotel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Markobrown
Shane O, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Wenatchee, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
MarkkOBrown,

Thank you for your great review of our hotel. You touched on just about everything we have to offer. I have had a lot of fun putting together the managers reception on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights and I am glad you enjoyed it. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Wenatchee