“OK for a night”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Wenatchee
seattle, wa
“OK for a night”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I was growing up in Wenatchee in the 70's, the Thunderbird was the nicest place in town. That was a long, long time ago. I think it was purchased by the Red Lion chain 15+ years back. The very large rooms were updated with remodeled bathrooms and new carpets and drapes fairly recently. Our bed in room 307 was VERY comfortable, but that was likely just luck. We enjoyed excellent water pressure in the shower, but were slightly concerned about the toilet flushing (it did.) The TV was not a flat screen and got terrible reception with very few channels. The wi-fi worked fine for us (we don't try and stream movies though). Fridge and microwave were fine. We always have earplugs handy and thus slept well although the train does go by directly behind the property in the middle of the night. (No whistle, just engine sounds). The location is great for dinner options with sushi, mexican, thai, pho, healthy sandwiches and an Albertsons within a quarter mile. Starbucks too!

Elevator Note: The lobby is on the second of 3 floors. The property is rectangular with the pool in the middle and the only elevator is in the rear of the facility, requiring an indoor walk around the entire property's perimeter. This is probably 300-400 steps. So if you require using a luggage cart, you may have a loooong walk depending on which room you are in. There are flights of stairs in many locations, so if you don't require an elevator you're in good shape.

Room Tip: Back of the property has river views but is right near the train tracks. 2nd floor is the entry leve...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Substrata23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple days on business. It's been 10+ years since I've stayed here. Called around last minute to find a hotel, the Springhill was 150+ and most everything else is lower standard in town. The Redlion looks worse from the outside than it actually is, it's fairly updated and very clean inside. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Tumwater, Washington
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just returned after a two night stay at the Wenatchee Red Lion. This is an older property that is held together by a thread and a very active "deferred maintenance" program. Here are the cons: The AC unit in my room was as loud as a train engine. In fact, it was so loud that it actually drowned out the trains that traveled on the tracks 400' from the back of the room. The toilet refilled every five minutes because they are too cheap to just put a new rubber plug in the toilet. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and had such a sag in the middle, I could not sleep with a pillow. To top it off, the hotel room I had was 3 hallways away from the front desk and the key card they gave me was defective, requiring 3 trips back and forth to the front desk and a visit from maintenance to tell me they use the cards until they wear out and I needed a completely different card. Last but not least, the pool looks nice, but the heating element was broken, so it was ice cold. The sign at the front desk said they were waiting for a part to come in, but after all the other issues I encountered, who knows why. The wi-fi was horribly slow and not sustainable to watch shows. There were also acoustic and staffing issues our group encountered while utilizing the conference facilities that were problematic.

There were a few bright spots, such as the fridge and coffee maker in the room, nice shower and showerhead, maids who did a good job cleaning, grounds were well maintained, and the staff were all very friendly. The breakfast included eggs, sausages, bacon, bagels, and coffee. It was good. It is also centrally located across the street from many restaurants and shopping and an Albertsons. With all the places to stay in Wenatchee, I would stay elsewhere. This place is a few steps away from a maintenance collapse, and clearly they do not want to spend money doing any upgrades. This is unfortunate, because I got the impression from the overly-friendly staff that they take pride in this facility and would do more if corporate would put some money into it.

Room Tip: Stay on the opposite side of the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Wenatchee, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your various experiences while visiting our property. We apologize that your guest room was uncomfortable due to the bed and the noise of the air conditioning. This is something we will be looking into and following up with our engineering staff on. We would like to apologize for your key cards not working and that you had to make multiple trips to the front desk as well. You are a valued guest and we hope to better serve you during your next stay.

Travelers are raving about these Wenatchee hotels

seattle, wa
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Things I liked: the staff is friendly, the beds are comfy (the pillows are only okay), decent shower, good towels. CLEAN. It's convenient to the Riverfront Trail and restaurants, shopping, etc. The pool chairs are quality. Hot or cold breakfast is included. It's nice to have a fridge.

Things I didn't like: my view of a trailer park, busy train tracks, noisy conference rooms, the ancient fuzzy television. The location is not scenic. The location is nothing-special-strip mall-ish.

The Red Lion is the Red Lion and it's never going to dazzle me. The good outweighs the mediocre @ Wenatchee. I'd stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We checked in on a Wednesday and stayed through Sunday. So let's start with the pros of the visit :)
First, the front desk staff was simply amazing. They were friendly, courteous, and quick to respond if we needed anything.
Breakfast: It was good. The breakfast is 6.95, that is a definite deal when you think what you have to pay when you go out to breakfast. My husband and I if we were to go to McDonald's would have to pay about $13.00 for meal and drinks.
Rooms: Were adequate, but I'm not picky. I go to my hotel room to sleep, not take in the atmosphere of the hotel. I mean we are on vacation, who spends their time in their room the whole time? It was clean and stocked.
Location: the location of this property is actually pretty central, you can get to anywhere you need to go via the main road that this is located on.
Cons: Bar not so great. On Friday they closed by 10pm and had to leave by 11pm. Really on a Friday night? Standard hours of x time to x time would be appreciated, we'd at least know what to expect. The previous year we were there until 1am playing pool, drinking and having a good time with our friends that we only get to see when we come into town. Nope, had to pack that in early... disappointed for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up front and on the second floor, it makes loading and unloading easier.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simone W
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. The hotel itself is good. Rooms are spacious and have balconies. The bathroom is a good size, with a vanity inside and outside. Breakfast was included in our stay. It was ok; eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, cereal and muffins. If it wasn't included in my stay I wouldn't have eaten at the hotel. The pool area is nice. The hotel is located around tons of food places and a Safeway/Starbucks is very close.

My issues were with the staff and decisions they made with a pool closure and also a late night phone call to my room from the front desk. They were asking if we were up making noise (which we were not) and after I told them we were in bed she was still accusatory about it.

Other than that, the hotel is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the back end of the hotel because a train goes by there.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here a Friday and Saturday nights, for a large baseball tournament that filled all the rooms in the city. Nice hotel, convenient location, helpful staff, clean, huge double queen rooms, great heated outdoor pool and hot tub, lots of hot water in the shower. The only real negative was the hallway noise. Some kids running up and down the halls and shouting, but given that the hotel was completely packed with baseball kids, I expected this, and it was quiet by 11pm (stayed on the 3rd/top floor). Heat/fan worked great and I was able to leave it on all night for white noise. Had a connecting door but never heard the family on the other side. TV was old but who cares? My room rate did not include the hot buffet breakfast but could be added for $5.99 (10 & under eat free) and well worth the price. Will stay here again if we return to Wenatchee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family