“It's NOT the Bates Motel!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Waterville
Waterville Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waterville
Eastern Washington
“It's NOT the Bates Motel!”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Someone described the hitting the "travelers wall" midway through Washington State, and that is precisely why I chose the Waterville. Traveling alone I wasn't comfortable pressing on to the coast, and wanted a safe, clean, interesting place to spend the night. I was rewarded with a spotless room, interesting hosts, excellent morning coffee and fresh bakery goodies, and was treated well by proprietors Dave and Amy.
They have labored long and hard to make this place accessible, friendly, and restored in a way that is not cutesy, but clever. And...get this... it is happily free from ghosts! Trust me on this.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Rezgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lake Forest Park
Reviewed June 6, 2008

If you are looking for a trip into the past, visit the Waterville Hotel, in downtown Waterville, WA. Originally built in 1903, this Victorian brick structure has been tastefully restored to its original plan, and is furnished with lots of interesting furniture from the ‘20s through the ‘50s. If you are over 50 years old, you will recognize lots of the interesting furnishings; if you are younger, just come to see how people used to live in those days.

Everything is amazingly clean, waxed, and freshly painted. Probably it is the cleanest hotel we have ever stayed in. And a good European style light breakfast is included in the price.

This hotel is a great place for small groups or organizations to visit for meetings or get-togethers. The accompanying photo is from our car club meeting there.

1 Thank Citroen_Driver
Keuka Park, NY
Reviewed June 4, 2008

While returning to Couer d' Alene from Seattle on April27, my sister and I hit the "exhaustion wall" in mid Washington State. In a not very populated area, we wondered about available lodging and did we ever find a gem!

The historic Waterville Hotel is truly an unexpected treasure. Amy and Dave have recreated the 1940s and 50s in the 1903 building. The lobby and rooms are filled with period pieces and historic pictures. Each room is individually decorated and inviting; the entire place is spotlessly shining, charming and relaxing; abd live plants grace the entire building.

Even with a lengthly nap, a good night's sleep and a lovely morning on the front porch with several cups of very good coffee, we were in no hurry to leave. In fact, we are looking forward to a chance to return and take a couple of the self guided auto tours of the archaeologically fascinating area;

Oh, yes: the "shower down the hall" is great and complete with provided bathrobes. Kudos to the innkeepers!

• Liked — friendly innkeepers, their dog, the location, the value of the accomodations, the reading room
  • Disliked — not many choices of places to eat
  • Stayed April 2008
Oregon
Reviewed June 2, 2008

A group of us working in the Wateville area lodged at the Waterville Hotel including the Memorial Day holiday. Dave and Amy were very accommodating, making sure our room arrangements would work for our needs. Some of us lodged in the apartment on the ground floor with a kitchen and lots of room to spread out. Others of us lodged in the historic rooms upstairs with a choice of claw-foot tubs or a modern shower down the hall. The antique furniture and decor really give it the charm and the place is clean, comfortable, convenient, and homey. Dave and Amy take a lot of pride in the hotel, pay a lot of attention to detail, and have a most interesting collection of reading material throughtout the hotel.

• Liked — Friendly, clean, quiet, unique.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ShrubSteppe
Seattle
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I've stayed at the Waterville three times now, having first discovered it when I saw it in the background of a Washington State Tourism TV commercial. Just a fascinating place, looking pretty much as it must have when it opened nearly a century ago. You won't confuse this with a five-diamond deluxe modern resort-- many rooms have shared baths or baths down the hall-- but it's clean, antique-filled and most comfortable. And did I mention extremely reasonable?

I'm sorry to hear that another visitor had difficulties with the proprietors-- I found them to be friendly, outgoing, informative and helpful. If you're an armchair mechanic or car or motorcycle fancier you can expect some delightful conversations. Last spring's stay was with a car club I belong to (see the photo)-- we all had a great time, had a banquet in the vast 2-bedroom apartment on the first floor, and got great suggestions for driving routes through Eastern Washington.

If you're looking for unctuous, groveling service, this is probably not a place you'd like. But if you want to feel like a guest of some new friends in their big old house, check it out.

• Liked — Vintage charm, friendliness
  • Disliked — not much choice of restaurants nearby
  • Stayed April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ZooGuy
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed May 11, 2008

My elderly Aunt and I were traveling from Seattle to Spokane on Highway 2 when I sensed she was getting overly tired. As we entered the little town of Waterville I noticed a beautiful, tall, brick building with a Hotel sign. We didn't need to be in Spokane until later the following day. Some strange intuition told me to stop. I am so glad I did!!!

Dave and Amy (the owners) soon had us comfortably settled in a charming room (even though it was early afternoon- well before the posted check-in hours) and Amy even brought hot tea to our room (complimentary) While my Aunt took a short nap I roamed the Hotel. What a treasure. Each room is different - some with old fashioned claw-foot tubs - but all clean, bright, nicely decorated with period pieces. This is a Hotel that has been restored - not remodeled. My Aunt was in 7th Heaven as she found item after item that brought back memories of the past.

My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. Over complimentary muffins, juice and coffee the next morning with Dave and Amy we were able to coax them to talk a bit about
the Hotel. They basically run it alone with just one part time helper and the Hotel and gardens are immaculate. I think they have 10-12 rooms. It is obviously a labor of love and it shows. By the way, the rates are very reasonable. Dave has a wry wit and Amy is a true class act. The Hotel is great but meeting them was the frosting on the cake. Unusual couple but both my elderly Aunt and I found them amusing, intelligent, refreshing, honest and caring. We are still laughing and talking about our "Find".

Stayed April 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed May 3, 2008

While driving home from Seattle after a cruise, we became too tired to drive and decided to stop. We missed Wenatchee and stumbled onto this wonderful piece of history. Dave checked us in even though it was way before check in time, gave us several options of rooms and showed us to a most charming one. Almost immediately we were taken back to a slower, quieter, more peaceful pace with children's voices coming from the park across the street and birds singing in the trees. What a perfect time for a nap! Later in the afternoon we explored this quiet little town (with diagonal parking forever more!) and explored the hotel a little more. The lobby, bathrooms, TV room, halls, and front porch are historical wonders with modern updating. The morning brought coffee, juice, muffins and good conversation with Dave and Amy on the front porch. We had to drag ourselves away to continue our trip home. We will certainly return for a stay to explore the surrounding country and the Ice Age Floods self-guided driving tours with the brochure provided by the hotel.

• Liked — Unique, charming - it took me back to my childhood
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
Comfort Suites
#4 of 16 in Wenatchee
Campbell's Resort on Lake Chelan
SpringHill Suites Wenatchee
Mountain View Lodge & Resort

Been to Waterville Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!