“Worth the drive from Walla Walla”
Review of jimgermanbar - CLOSED

jimgermanbar
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Walla Walla, Washington
“Worth the drive from Walla Walla”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Jim is a great guy. Knows his craft - drinks and incredible food. Great staff that wants their customers to have a fun experience. Eclectic art. Great patio. Changing menu & drink specials. Small, unique atmosphere. Ask and you shall receive!

Visited November 2012

Maui, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I love the Jimgermanbar!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is such a fun place to enjoy a well made cocktail. When we go, we always make a reservation to sit at the bar. I like to sit in the corner where it wraps around so I can watch Jim make his fine cocktails. Usually we go there for a special occasion. My son and daughter-in-law love the place and whenever they fly in from San Diego a visit to Jimgerman is a must. I will say that it can be pricey especially if everyone has a few cocktails and you are picking up the check but totally worth it! They have wonderful small dishes that Jim's wife cooks and they are a real treat as well. A must do visit when you are in the Walla Walla area. Just make sure one of you is the designated driver!

• Visited November 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Worth the stop; make it a destination!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Jimgermanbar opened in 2004 in the forgotten town of Waitsburg. A small, drive-through town with a lot of history and a little over 1,000 residences. But, Waitsburg is going through a small revival with some good places for foodies to stop.

Jim German concocts varied, elaborate and sophisticated cocktails he tenderly makes behind the bar using only the best of spirits and infusions. Fresh herbs are gown out back and fresh fruit and worldly spices are used to transport you to foreign places. The space is very bohemian and there is an incredibly good vibe when you enter. It’s a bit on the ‘cool & edgy’ side mixed with old world ambiance; something very unexpected. A great mix of old and new.

So we take a place at the bar and watch the master work. In front of us are several different bottles of Pisco, from Peru. Pisco Sours are very trendy right now, but Jim has been serving Pisco cocktails way before the rest of us ever knew what it was. I also noticed he had Cachaca from Brazil (a Caipirinha is my favorite summer drink). You can travel the world just by looking at the various spirits behind the bar.

Jim’s artesian concoctions are made the old fashion way…all from scratch…all individually prepared. He starts off with the perfect glass for the particular drink and then adds a lot of love. My friend requested a Manhattan which turns out to be truly enchanted. OK, so maybe not the most unique cocktail, but watching Jim make it was pure magic. He poured Maker’ Mark (so a bourbon instead of a common whiskey or rye). The sweet vermouth and bitters I didn’t see, but it was finished with the traditional Maraschino cherry. It was smooth and delightful…went down way too easy!

I’d said I wanted to be surprised. I like vodka martinis, so anything along that line was fine. The drink he presented was ‘out of this world’. It was served in a chilled glass and was topped with a crushed Turkish red pepper…very aromatic yet not very spicy. I don’t know the name of the drink or what else was in it, but one patron said it might be called Bjork? Regardless, this signature drink was refreshing and unique.

They offer small bites in the bar along with some main courses. The menu is distinctively written on butcher paper that is hung, in huge rolls, on the wall beside the bar. Loved it. We’ll need to go back for a dinner made up of several small plates…we hear the cheese plate is full of unexpected delights.

This is a laid-back establishment. No snooty airs, no high-rollers, no one to impress. Simply sit back and enjoy the food and, more importantly, the drinks. If you want beer or wine, they have some interesting choices, but with this kind of mixology talent, you’re wasting some great tastes on some classic and not-so-classic cocktails.

Although Waitsburg might only be a blip on the map, you won’t be disappointed if you stop in here for a libation and something to nosh on

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank PALTravel
Sherwood, Oregon
“High expectations that fell a little short”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We could not wait to try this much-buzzed-about bar in quaint Waitsberg. When we arrived we were greeted pleasantly by who I believe was the owner. There were only two other groups seated but reserve signs placed on most of the tables. We were told there was an available table in the very back. This put us a bit out of the way. A nice enough server gave us menus but took awhile to return for our order. The owner was talking to others seated at the bar. We ordered drinks and waited perhaps 15-20 minutes for them to be served. I know they serve food here but no one mentioned food and there were no menus listing food. Our cocktails were delicious and very well crafted when they finally showed up. Our server did at least apologize for the wait. We finished our drinks and no one had yet filled any of the "reserved" seats, even by the time we left. The owner and server seemed to know the other guests and didn't seem to care about going of their way to serve us or welcome us. Again, great drinks and no one was unpleasant, just slow and inattentive.

Renton
“libation & fine food oasis”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Waitsburg is a small small town nestled in rolling hills 20 miles north of Walla Walla. Small as the town is, we had to hunt for the restaurant. There isn't a sign, look for bright blue walls behind a trellis of green vines at 119 Main street. Seating is limited, but we lucked out to sit at the bar. Turns out Gabe the bartender, is one of the best in eastern Washington. I agree, with great enthusiasm he created several mojitos with fresh mint and shaved cumquats for my cousins and for me a cross between navy grog and Mai tia garnished with dried hibiscus, fresh slice of ginger and mint. Refreshingly hit the spot after a hot day of wine tasting.

The dining menu is equally fantastic. We had seasonal copper river salmon with asparagus as one entrée for $18. Other was a pork schnitzel with lemon wedge for $15. Servings are small side and served on a round wooden plate. Several antipasto and side dishes also available.

• Visited June 2012