“Paradise forgotten I'd lost”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vashon
Betty Macdonald Farm
Ranked #1 of 7 Vashon B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Paradise forgotten I'd lost”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My daughter and I had a lovely stay and wonderful rest . The grounds and accommodations were just as described. the views were marvelous. Both of us enjoyed the thoughtful and creative decor and furnishings. the collection of books and VHS/DVD movies was very good. The aromas of pine and cedar brought back many pleasant childhood memories of a place I used to stay. Buster and Lilli, the Irish Terriers, were great greeters and walk companions.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SeddonCab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Yarmouth, Maine
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed in the loft on our honeymoon 2 1/2 years ago and have stayed there twice more since then. It is the perfect quiet, beautiful retreat. Judith is a very thorough host yet very discreet. Everything needed for a peaceful weekend is readily available.

We fell in love with the eclectic decor. Judith has assembled a collection of items from all over the world from rugs to china to music to books, etc. This adds to the feeling of being in a remote but very comfortable place far from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and yet, the center of town is just minutes away.

On our last trip, we took in a lovely outdoor community sponsored concert at the park near the library and we always grab a bite at the Monkey Tree Cafe.

We'll be back to the farm again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CarlaDiane
Ben Lomond, California
Reviewed October 27, 2010

After reading the glowing reviews, I made the decision to stay at this farm while visiting Vashon Island. It is definitely not a B & B. Rather a B & BYOB which means bed and bring your own breakfast. Be forewarned. The loft is like stepping back into Betty MacDonald's world. It is truly unique. The deck was the best place with gorgeous Puget Sound views overlooking a lovely garden. However, I was unprepared for the breakfast experience. (The hostess never made her presence known except by handwritten notes) The table was set for 2. (A note said to wash up after ourselves) There were some English muffins and frozen butter in the fridge. Could it have been Betty MacDonald's??? That is what it seemed like. Anyway, we left on arising and went to a restaurant in town.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
15 Thank PTandNT
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We had a very pleasant time at the Betty MacDonald Farm. We stayed in the loft and had a great view of Mt Ranier. We thoroughly recommend it if you are in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bigsurtraveller
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My husband and I enjoyed the quiet here as we took our first night away from the kids. Interesting treasures (old books, antiques) in the room gave it some character and charm. Loved the wood stove and the pile of wood to keep us toasty on that cold, rainy night.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SeattleGetaway
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I lucked out and stumbled onto the Betty MacDonald Farm a couple weeks ago. We stayed at the secluded cabin for a wonderful weekend -- a perfect escape from work and city life. Judith was an amazing hostess, giving us pertinent information without hovering over us. She even provided safe, fun toys for our 1-year-old son.

We found fresh eggs, English muffins and homemade jams in the fridge. Judith clipped fresh flowers -- sweet peas, I think -- to give our cabin a nice fragrance.

The large bathroom has a shower and a clawfoot bathtub, which faces Mount Rainier to the south. I took a relaxing bath, while my husband took the baby for a walk in the gardens that surround the cabin. Judith offers luxurious terrycloth robes, too.

Below the deck, which overlooks forest and water to Rainier, I spotted a deer not 20 feet away from me one warm evening. The peace and silence I felt while looking toward the mountain were intoxicating.

Judith also owns beach access -- it isn't connected to the farm, but it's only 10 minutes drive away. We played with the boy for a couple hours -- he had a blast, of course -- throwing rocks, kicking balls, watching birds and boats. There is a small cabin at the treeline, where you can change clothes or take a nap or make lunch. Perfect for a day at the beach.

The farm is just five minutes from the ferry dock, and another 10 minutes to town, where we found a Thriftway. The kitchen is more than adequate, so we made salmon cakes and corn and chowed down.

All in all, the best part was the quiet. Judith's place is like no other, and she made our weekend truly special.

-- West Seattle

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank dmk07
Seattle
Reviewed July 15, 2010

As I stood on the ferry's deck I saw Mount Rainier to the South and Vashon Island beckoning me home. Due to a fortuitously modest water table, development on this getaway oasis has remained quite modest. The result is an unparalleled country experience minutes from Seattle. Being a guy, I didn't think to bring any pots, pans, or condiments, but everything was furnished with the cottage. A television, CD player, and internet Wi-fi was available, but I found myself spending more time reading and exploring the island.

Since I wake up slowly on vacation, it was a relief that my wife and I were able to make our own breakfast and dine on the deck overlooking Puget Sound in mid-morning, Ms. Lawrence was a friendly and informative host, but gave us plenty of privacy during our stay. My wife loved the experience of sitting in the bathtub and seeing eagles, wild flowers, and a forest through the window.

After a couple of idyllic and restorative days we found ourselves reluctantly packing our bags to return to the city. We both made a vow to stay much longer next time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jockdocSeattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vashon
Georgetown Inn
Georgetown Inn
#17 of 101 in Seattle
Hampton Inn & Suites Bremerton
Best Western Plus Bainbridge Island Suites
Best Western Plus Bainbridge Isl...
#1 of 5 in Bainbridge Island
Cedarbrook Lodge
Cedarbrook Lodge
#1 of 34 in SeaTac
Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma - Waterfront
The Lodges on Vashon
The Lodges on Vashon
#1 of 2 in Vashon

Been to Betty Macdonald Farm? Share your experiences!