“Loved Every Moment--- At The Resort, NOT the Restaurant...”

Alderbrook Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
sebastopol, ca
“Loved Every Moment--- At The Resort, NOT the Restaurant...”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Many people have rated this resort based on the simply awful restaurant. There is a separate listing for this and I have addressed our poor dining experience there.

As for the Resort--- we loved it. Stayed in a waterfront cabin and it is well worth the extra money. The view from the front deck is just great and how relaxing to sit out there with your icy homemade margarita in hand! The water and the mountains are gorgeous. It's not a meditative, retreat sort of resort-- it's more communal in nature. There are lots of people on the grounds and boat activity at the dock.

The kitchen was handy and provided everything we needed. Be sure to bring your own coffee and filters-- as the "honor bar" in the room is expensive-- but there's a regular coffee maker provided.

Service was good. Everything we requested we got with a smile. Air conditioning worked well during our hot spell. Bathroom was roomy enough for 4 of us. Beds were really firm and very comfortable.

A free morning kayak lesson was provided and it was led by an excellent teacher. Lots of dogs on the property and lots of kids. This is not an adults-only sort of resort. (kids pretty much take over the pool.) Big towels offered at the pool. Gym is pretty good with newish machines and several t.v. set-ups. Free WiFi.

If i had to pick flaws, there are not many places to lounge out in the sun. Also, newspapers are offered-- but not brought to the rooms. If you get to the lounge in the afternoon, they will be gone.

We had an amazing and relaxing 2 nights at the Alderbrook. Luckily, the person who planned the trip shopped well for us--- we brought lots of delicious food and enjoyed making meals in the cabin. We only had to suffer through 1 meal on the property-- so i do suggest you plan ahead and bring your own groceries!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
WA
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My wife and I and our two sons recently stayed at Alderbrook Resort on a whim. Just to get away for a few days and enjoy some quality time with eachother. We stayed in one of the cottages and they were wonderful. Everything we could have hoped for in comfort and value. The restaurante was great and the service was outstanding.
Our (young) teenagers had a great time swimming in the pool and playing volleyball and we all enjoyed sitting around the fire pits at night with smores. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed June 24, 2010

I recently stayed with my husband and two sons (8 and 5 years old) at Alderbrook. We enjoyed the grounds, room, and food. The staff was delightful. The boys loved playing on the beach and finding seashell treasures.
We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2010

MemorialDay..wow what a disappointment!Had to wait for our room..first off.So went to the lounge to wait and have a snack.Well sadly it only gets worse..the bartender..who by the way knows everything about everything..was curt and abrupt.Was not impressed to say the least.Finally got into our room..the view was lovely.Finally made it to dinner..server M......forgot our starter..not impressed ,maybe she thought we didn't need one since we had one in the
bar.Anyway food was..just ok.Fairly bland..never will spend the money again.. and to top it off the restaurant manager..umm,ill leave that one alone.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank fircrest
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed June 7, 2010

On June 5th my wife and I and 140 friends attended a wedding at the resort and the location was beautiful. The only bad thing was the customer service at the hotel's bar/restaurant, which was the worst I have ever experienced at any resort!! I would tell anyone staying there to stay away from Chris and Tami at the bar since they have short fuses and are very rude and disrespectful. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone since this was such a bad experience!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pmacattack
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed June 6, 2010

My husband and I went for a one night getaway to Alderbrook. I had stayed in the two bedroom cottage last year on a girl's getaway weekend and wanted to take him there. We booked a last minute "Escape to Alderbrook" package: a queen bed with a view of the canal, $70 dining credit and a bottle of wine.

The resort was as beautiful as I remembered it. Our room was on the small size, but considering the price, I thought it was OK and the view made up for the size. However, we must have been over the dishwashing station of the kitchen, because throughout the night we heard noises from below which sounded like pots clanking against a stainless steel sink. I had to sleep with earplugs in to block out the noise.

We ordered room service for dinner and the food came very quickly, but the side of risotto listed on the menu for my dinner was instead sweet grilled corn (I was really looking forward to the risotto) and they forgot the bleu cheese dressing for my husband's boneless chicken wings (my husband loves bleu cheese). The food was ok, but not worth the price. That night we put out the breakfast order tag on the door handle with items checked on both sides. The next morning the food was delivered and only one order was included (I should have listened to my husband and put out two tags). Instead of calling to the kitchen, we decided to split his breakfast. This would have been great because the entree was so large, but the whole dish was undercooked and greasy.

We were already tired from a restless night's sleep on a really hard bed - even too hard for my husband. He hardly slept at all. We ate and left quickly.

The resort is really beautiful, the staff extremely nice and the spa (used on my previous visit) is wonderful. I'm not sure if the hotel rooms are worth the price though. At least in cottages you can bring and cook your own food. It was not the getaway we were hoping for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katyg24
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We flew cross country to attend a family wedding at this location and it was nothing short of wonderful. The hotel was beautiful, the grounds surrounding the hotel was gorgeous, and the reception was perfect. It made for a wonderful family gathering and it could not have been a more perfect location for a wedding. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway with beautiful views - you will enjoy every minute there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Little Creek Casino Resort
Best Western Wesley Inn & Suites
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Hampton Inn & Suites Olympia Lacey
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
#5 of 8 in Bremerton

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!