“The service lacked”

Alderbrook Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
“The service lacked”
Reviewed April 10, 2009

From the valet, to the restaurant I just expected a lot more. I was very disappointed when I left, the staff just did not work to make me want to return. My biggest annoyance- the food at the restaurant sucked.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Reviewed March 15, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Alderbrook Resort for 1 night for our baby-moon --- our last trip before baby shows up in a couple of months. We were not the only couple there doing the same thing, we saw 4 other couples there who were late in their pregnancy, taking a little R&R. The resort amenities are just fantastic - comfortable, beautifully appointed rooms, and very comfortable beds. We especially enjoyed the window nook where you could just sit by the window and stretch out and look outside at the Hood Canal. The towels were large and soft, and each room came with 2 oversize bathrobes. Oh, and the soaps smelled great too! All of the rooms have a small deck to sit out on. The resort also has several very nicely appointed 2 bedroom cabins for rent, that come with a small kitchen (stove/fridge/microwave), which we may use next time when we go with more of our extended family. The resort grounds were neatly kept. There is a new golf club (Alderbrook Golf Club) being built directly behind and above the resort, about 1 mile from the resort. The towns of Hoodsport and Shelton are about a 20-30 minute drive to the west, and Belfair is about 20 minutes east, where you can find shopping centers, since there is very little in the way of food or shopping near the resort. We ate at the restaurant at the resort, and it was one of the best meals we have ever had! I enjoyed an exquisitely done beef tenderloin with polenta and fresh spinach, and my wife enjoyed open-faced ravioli. This resort is all about pampering, enjoyment, and relaxation, and we came home feeling refreshed, having thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We can't wait to go back again to the Alderbrook!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KenCarol
justdoinmypart
Reviewed March 11, 2009

This is such a relaxing resort. If you are looking for a spa getaway with the girls or a romantic week-end with your spouse... this is the place. Very quiet and peaceful. Amazing views of the olympics and hood canal. Beautiful grounds. Wonderful Spa. Nice restaurant. Can't get enough.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I wont spend alot of time on this review. I have been here before, and try to go once a year. If you are on their email list, you will receive a coupon once a year or so...usually in Dec. or Jan. for a screaming deal. Well, I got my coupon, and booked a weekend with friends. I took the passage package and found it to be a fantastic value. As always, the staff is so well trained, and likeable here, it pains me to leave. The cottage was fun as usual...clean and well appointed. The grounds were well kept this visit, and made me feel as though the maintenance team has really been keeping an eye on things.

We ate in the restraunt for dinner.....so, heres the bad. The restraunt itself is cozy, well appointed and comfortable. Staff is great...the chef? I dont know man.....We ordered different items, tried one anothers food....we all know good food......so here is my best shot at the dinner review:
the food was well prepared with fresh and interesting ingreients.however, each dish had a rathor different and savory sauce...making the real taste of the food all but disappear. I know this sounds nit picky, but you can only put so much sauce on a rib eye, before you kill it....and...I am sorry to say...you killed it. In tasting the other dishes, we all agreed the food was too masked. I know good chefs who make great sauces...but just tone it down a bit here, and you might be able to sell more dinners. Breakfast in the same restraunt was good.actually very good..but then again, how much sauce can you throw onto french toast.....
In any eveny, this is, was, and will be a favorite spot for us...I recomend to anyone! Kids, dogs, couples, whatever.you will like it here.and it is still a fair value! Bon voyage

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank DaveFrancis
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We stayed here for my best friend's birthday. Absolutely loved the spa, had the signature massage and it was well worth the money even though I thought it was priced pretty high at $130 for a hour. The whole experience was worth the price. Pool and hot tub were not too fancy, but were nice and enjoyable. Service was good. Down side was you had to do a lot of walking out doors, rooms even face outdoors vice interior to the hotel...which I didn't expect. It was okay because the weather was alright, but thought it would've been bad if the weather was worse. It was also very noisy in our room, the air or the fridge or something kept us both awake all night and our phone didn't work. I never did tell the front desk because when I went to check out we'd been double billed for the room. They did fix it and they were very nice the whole trip.

Had excellent drinks at the hotels bar, but never ate there due to the reviews from Trip advisor. We did eat at the Robinhood restaurant just down the road (less than a mile) because of the reviews we read. It was definitely worth it! Love the atmosphere and the food was most excellent! Try the lemon drop prawns for sure.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank olytrvlr
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I can not imagine a better place to go with a family for true bonding and down time. Not a whole lot of big screen action but if you want to accually go for walks and talk to your family it is heaven...Our pet was welcome...our children where welcome and we where warmly welcomed by the staff from the beginning. I truley was amazed at how beautiful the rooms where and the intire lodge as well. This resort is one of the finest we have ever been to. The food the drinks the service all top notch and really a true value for the quality. Trust me I am a very well traveled customer..

Lee..Seattle

• Liked — atmophere
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LeanderSeattle
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2008

We spent one night at the Alderbrook on our way to the Pacific coast from Seattle. We were pleasantly surprised by how cozy, clean, and beautiful this hotel was.

Located on the Hood Canal with the Olympic Mountains in the background, the Alderbrook is a grand, rustic lodge at the edge of the water.

Take the opportunity to walk to the end of the dock. Breakfast was excellent, service was professional and friendly, and we enjoyed our morning coffee next to the fire pit.

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
#5 of 8 in Bremerton
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!