“Great getaway/spa close to Seattle”

and 1 more site!
Alderbrook Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Seattle, WA
“Great getaway/spa close to Seattle”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I highly recommend Alderbrook for a peaceful and romantic getaway. My husband and I stayed there for three days mid-week. We expected an upscale spa experience and we got it.

We booked a waterfront king. Thanks to another reviewer's comments, I asked for a room with a view of the mountains (seen over the canal). The view was fantastic, and as it appears that many of the rooms are not view rooms, I would recommend you make the same request. The room was 325, in the old wing.

You cannot tell this facility was originally built in the 70's. Its remodel makes it appear brand new. The rooms are very small, but they are impeccably decorated, spotless, and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable.

The indoor pool is the premise's best asset. It's walled by glass on all four sides, so you have a view of the canal as you swim. It was clean, kid-free (it was winter) and we used it all three days along with the jacuzzi. Also, it remains open until 10, which we wish other hotels would do. Our only complaint is that the rooms don't have slippers or flip-flops that can be worn from room to pool - so you see a lot of people traipsing barefoot through the establishment.

The restaurant boasts the same great views and the food is all right. Neither of us were very impressed with our dinners, but breakfast was fine. We did get waited on by the same waitress each morning who never once got our orders right, to the point we felt we were being pranked! But we dutifully ate whatever wrong orders she brought us. The Robin Hood Restaurant is two minutes down the road. It has a higher price tag (unles syou dine in the pub section) and good ambiance (though we can't say the food was better!).

The spa was fabulous. Highly recommend it. My husband had a great experience with his masseuse and enjoyed the starry night. My masseuse was lousy, applied no pressure, especially during the reflexology, but that's the luck of the draw. Overall, though, we were very pleased and would return.

• Liked — Swimming pool, the room, and spa
  • Disliked — No slippers in the room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed September 15, 2008

We stayed at the Alderbrook Resort and Spa for our wedding anniversary in July 2008. It is a great place and we will be going back often! It is the perfect getaway for a night or 2 away from the city. There isn’t a whole lot to do in the general vicinity but we went there simply to relax and enjoy the scenery. We got a waterfront view room and it was amazing. We will be requesting that room from now on. The resort is shaped like a U with the pool at the top of one side of the U and then unobstructed view rooms on the top of the other side of the U. So if you stay at the end, you have unobstructed views of the Hood Canal and the Olympic Mountain range from your room. Cuddle into the window seat with the fabulous pillows and read a good book or snooze away. The rooms are spectacular and have been very nicely renovated. Not huge, but very cozy and updated with taste for a modern ‘lodgy’ feel. We ate dinner in the restaurant. The food was okay. We ate lunch out on the patio bar which is open during the summertime and that was more bar/grill food and it was really good.

There is boat dock for use of people staying at the resort and a fabulous pool and hot tub that is completely glassed in and just steps from the Hood Canal so it has gorgeous views. They also have little paddle boats and kayaks that you can rent, which we’ll do on our next trip. There are also several fire pits set up around the grounds for people to sit by and they even sell smores kits in the bar. They had some cabin type rooms outside of the main resort building as well but we didn’t get a good look at those so I’m not sure what they were like. They were off to the side of the resort but looked like there was a little grassy area in the midst of them. Beautiful grounds, awesome views and the service was spectacular. We got a great deal on our package and even had a bottle of wine waiting in the room for us to enjoy. We will stay here again and I recommend it as a nice getaway from the city or even if you are passing through as a little side trip. They have a spa as well, when we go back this winter, I’ll have to try the spa out!

• Liked — Very comfortable and beautiful rooms.
  • Disliked — The food in the dining room was a little disappointing for the price.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank SarahASeattle
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I'll start with the food, I do this only because there are hardly any places around it to go. A lot of people have complained about the price and it is a bit pricey but it's a resort and you need to expect that, that was not my issue.
The food is just ok. I did expect it to be way better at a place like this. I really wanted to go somewhere else to eat after two meals there.
Breakfast is totally fine. Lunch options are a bit odd and Dinner is as I said ok. If you are not picky you may be fine. I am , my boyfriend is not.
There is a deli of sorts down pass the national park about a 15 min drive I would say it was a bit sketchy. Going towards seattle within about 10-15 min is two places, one is off the main road and was fine for lunch. The other place near the marina was always closed when we went.
I don't mean to dwell on the food. But it's important to know this going in.

We had a lake front room which was VERY NICE so kudo's for lodging.
It was not cheap, but worth it. The SPA was amazing.
The service( front desk) was decent but you do feel as if you are in a big hotel.
We did Kayaking off the pier which was very nice. The guy that runs that is great to deal with.
I would probably go back if we were in the area again, I may just map out my food venues beforehand.

Disclaimer: If you are looking for rest and relaxation do not stay the night before July 4th. They have a HUGE PARTY on the lawn which was right in front of our rooms. We are by no means party poopers, but went here for the sepcific reason of relaxing. Lets say we left the lodge to drive 45 min to see a movie that night!
If you like Parties then book away....

• Liked — The Room and View
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Woodinville, WA
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I have stayed here twice and have had wonderful experiences both times. The rooms were immaculate and beautifully decorated in a modern style. The beds and sheets are so soft. I felt pampered just by staying in the rooms....the bathtub was nice and big. The hotel looks new and has beautiful architectural design. The grounds are gorgeous on the water. My kids had a great time during low tide looking at all of the crabs. The pool is indoors and the kids had a great time swimming. The food is delicious. I have no complaints. You can borrow DVD's for free. The staff is very helpful. Peaceful.

• Liked — beautiful grounds and rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed in a 2-bedroom cottage in August, 2008. We were two parents and two teen-agers so this worked out well. The parents got the bedroom with the locking door. One of the teen-agers got the other bedroom and the other got the hide-a-bed sofa in the living room. The cottage was big enough for the four of us and the kitchen facilites were fine.

We found that, though it is a beautiful spot, it is not too well suited for teen-agers. Our two rented a kayak and played chess in the beautiful hotel lobby but after that it was pretty well watching TV and books. There is a pool and a decent fitness centre which our son used.

We thought the Alderbrook was perfectly suited for families with younger children as there is lots of room for the kids to run around but still be watched by parents. Better for the little ones than teens I would say.

The staff are excellent at the Alderbrook and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The place is really beaufiful and the main lobby is exceptionally nice. The view is of the Hood Canal which is salt water but looks more like a big lake. In the evening there are lots of places to sit out. They have gas fireplaces throughout the grounds which are very nice.

Here's a hint about how to get there. We had stayed a night in Seattle and then drove south on the I5 down past Tacoma and then west up to the resort. It was about a two hour drive from Seattle and of course the I5 can be challenging, as any big freeway is. Anyway, after our two nights at the Alderbrook we wanted to go back to Seattle so instead of reversing our course we drove from the Alderbrook to Bremerton, about a 30 minute drive. Then we simply took the ferry from Bremerton across the water to Seattle. This was a beaufiful, much less stressful way of getting to Seattle and cost only $14.00 for the four of us in our mini-van. The ferry ride took about an hour and landed near Safeco Stadium in Seattle. Had we known it was that easy we would have gone that way on the trip to Alderbrook by sailing from Seattle to Bremerton instead of the I5 route.

• Liked — The 2-br cottage was well set up with everything we needed.
  • Disliked — Not too much for our two teens to do.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Federal Way
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Aug 1, 2008

This was a nice weekend for Sister bonding and relaxing.
I took my bischon frise, Sugee and she was greeted by her name.
Which I had given to the reservation person. We had a quick check-in. Absolutely, the most pleasant staff I have seen in a while.

The room was a garden court room which was perfect, as I can
get my pet in and out without walking the entire hotel.

The grounds were well maintained. I observed 3 beautiful weddings
during my visit. The restaurant was very nice. The bartender
in the lounge was top notch. Makes a "mean mojito".
My Sister and I took advantage of the spa. It was nice.
I must admit I have had better spa experiences.

If I were to complain about anything it would be the prices
for restaurant and in-room snacks. 5.50 for 17 pringles! OUCH!

Also I had a small housekeeping issue with not enough
washcloths. But it was taken care of by removing a pet fee.
Which I want to mention is very reasonable for a very nice resort
$25.00.
All in all ,very nice, I would definitely do again.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — prices
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I've yet to even stay here and I'm sure it's a nice resort, but I can't remember having worse reservations people. I just called back to inquire about changing my room and (beyond their difficult in locating my reservation because it was under "Dave" and not "David") they told me the original room was a one-bedroom, not the two bedroom I'd been told and that this was "human error" so there was nothing they could do about it. As a result I'm going to be paying $100/night more than I was expecting. I got a half-hearted apology. If the trip was for anything besides a wedding and I had any other choice in resorts, I would not be staying at Alderbrook.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank dweiss02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Super 8 Shelton
Super 8 Shelton
#2 of 4 in Shelton
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!