“Peaceful Location”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I along with my sister and her husband stayed three nights in one of their cottages located right on the water. The Hood Canal. The staff is very attentive and friendly. The cottage was clean and the grounds are beautiful. The location is remote and we enjoyed that very much.
The golf course is beautiful as well. Nice bar and restaurant with very good service.Boats available for rent or for tours of the area. They have a good informative web site and the place is really as beautiful as the pictures show.It was a nice relaxing time.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms but we only stayed in a two bdrm cottage right on the wate...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

We're so glad that you and your family were able to experience our property Robert J! Our team appreciates the time you took to write your glowing review and wishes you a wonderful end to the summer.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I took my wife here for her birthday. She got very worried as we drove there, with her saying "there is nothing out here". We turn the corner and there was a gorgeous building. Check-in was quick and friendly, the room had a beautiful view over hood canal and the Olympic mountains. The spa treatments were very relaxing and in nice atmosphere. Food was good as well. It was a very nice weekend overall.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrjavaguy
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

We're so glad that you and your wife were able to escape to Alderbrook mrjavaguy! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our property.

Have a wonderful end to the summer,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I recently returned from a stay at Alderbrook with friends. I stayed in one of the cottages over a weekend and paid $600+/night.

Positives: the setting on the Hood Canal is beautiful, the cottage was generally clean, the bath shower amenities were Molton Brown, the restaurant served good food.

Negatives: pillowcases with holes (really?!?), cars driving past the front of the cottages while children were playing in grassy area (there is no need for private vehicles in this area), musty odor in the cottage.

Also, I would like to thank the wedding party for providing a free fireworks show on the dock at 10:45 pm.

I had hoped to be able to rate this resort 5 of 5 but for the money spent the little things matter.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Thank you for the review GAJ-Seattle! We're glad that you were able to enjoy one of our guest cottages as well as experience our restaurant. Our entire management team has received your feedback and we'd like to make it right with you. Please reach out to me directly at kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com so that we can discuss this further.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Alderbrook Resort for our 35th Anniversary get away. We stayed in one of the waterview rooms. It was extremely nice; such a relaxing, charming place with wonderful water and mountain views. The staff was great. The two resident cats in the beautiful lobby were an added plus!
I would highly recommend this beautiful place to anyone.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in a room with a water view. So worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow-congrats on 35 years jensteph! Thank you for choosing our property for your romantic getaway to celebrate such a momentous milestone. Our cats, Alder and Brook say congratulations as well. :)

Cheers to many wonderful years to come!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I had a gift certificate to Alderbrook which brought us out to Union, WA. The trip over is very enjoyable as you can take the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton and drive the rest of the way. Very scenic and a majority of the drive is along the water. We stopped by a few state parks along the way which added to the adventure.

The resort is in a very scenic location. The grounds are kept up nicely and the main lodge is beautiful. The first night we stayed in one of the cabins located in the loop of cabins next to the main building. It was fun to our own place, but the walls are very thin and since all the cabin buildings have 2 or 3 rooms, you'll definitely hear your neighbors. Toilet flushing and chairs scraping along the tile are probably the worst of it. I can definitely see how fun it would be if you were staying with a big group of people and reserved a few cabins together.

The second night we stayed in a room on the top floor, facing towards the spa. I preferred the rooms in the main building actually as they had a spacious layout and felt much more updated.

We didn't use the pool as it was very crowded with kids. It's nice that there are 'adult hours' at the pool at least. The pool house is definitely an eye sore compared to the rest of the grounds. Especially when you're on the dock taking pictures of the resort from the water-side.

What I didn't enjoy about this resort was the cost of food and activities. I felt like I was getting nickled and dimed if I wanted to do activities like take kayaks out on the lake. You'd think that if a property were on the water, there would be kayaks, paddleboards and other activities included in the cost of staying, rather than being an additional charge. I wasn't very pleased with the food either, as two of my meals were not cooked to order. Specifically, I had a hamburger overcooked and then eggs undercooked. Overall I'm not sure food is a big selling point for the resort.

We did enjoy the short trails nearby. If you're visiting during the summer months, you can spot jellyfish and the resident seal when you're out on the docks. Also, I highly recommend visiting the Union Country Store if you venture into Union.

Room Tip: If you're in a big group then you'll want to rent the cabins. If it's just you and your...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our property Lee A. We're so glad that you took the "scenic route" from Seattle to Bremerton and that you were able to enjoy the trails, waterfront, grounds as well as both our cabins and guest rooms. The Union Country Store is a great spot nearby; hopefully you were able to enjoy some Olympic Mountain Ice Cream or some of their fresh bread with seafood dip! While we do charge for watercraft rentals to cover costs, we do offer many complimentary activities for guests and the community in order to really add value to the guest experience. We're sorry to hear that you didn't feel this hit the mark. We have received and shared your feedback with our management team and hope that you will consider returning to experience our property in the future. If you'd like to discuss this further please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at: kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com

Have a wonderful end to the summer,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did not stay in the hotel but on a boat in the Marina,used the Spa (fabulous) and dined at the restaurant. I bought a few things in the gift shop and was very pleasantly surprised at how helpful and courteous the staff was...Check in was busy in the lobby but it was certainly a very well organized type of mayhem. The restaurant was a little spendy...but worth it, GREAT bloody mary's! We golfed at the Alderbrook golf course too. It was a great trip and I look forward to going back and actually staying in the hotel.

1  Thank denise11164

Thank you or sharing your positive experience of our property denise11164! How fun to visit us from the water-then shop, golf and dine! Glad you enjoyed the crab garnish on our bloody mary's it's pretty fantastic! :)

Have a wonderful end of the summer and we'll see you again soon,

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We just left alderbrook after 2 nights in a 1 bedroom cottage (#3). We had a great view of the water. Let me say that the resort celebrates their 100th anniversary this year, so it just doesn't look like a brand new, super spiffy place. It reminds me of that resort in Dirty Dancing. That said, it was peaceful and quiet, and we enjoyed ourselves. We cooked in the cottage since we had read how expensive the restaurant is, and there really aren't many other places to go!!! The spa was nice, and I had both a massage and facial, and walked out feeling light as a feather!! Both technicians were very nice and personable. I was not fond of the bed and just felt it is getting close to replacement.

1  Thank Fsulaw1
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

We totally agree that our property has that nostalgic feeling of Dirty Dancing Fsulaw1! Our management team thanks you for celebrating our centennial with us and for taking the time to share your experiences of our cottages and spa.

Have a wonderful summer!

Directory of Marketing
Alderbrook Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Waterfront Inn
Waterfront Inn
#4 of 5 in Gig Harbor
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!