“Great location, bad customer service”

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at Alderbrook last weekend. I had just come off a really busy four weeks at work and was really looking forward to some family time and lots of rest. My husband and I traveled with our almost-two-year-old son.
First, this place has a great set-up for kids. We stayed in one of the one-bedroom cottages, and right in front of the cottages is a big open area with a volleyball net and lots of fun games. Our son loved playing ball there. Would be really great for older kids, too -- the parents can sit on the porch and watch the kids play right there.
The service in the restaurant was great -- really nice waitresses.
However, our stay was marred by some really terrible customer service by hotel staff on the last night. When we were eating dinner, we saw a group of people heading out to the dock with cartloads of fireworks -- serious, professional fireworks. I went over to the front desk to ask what was going on, and they said a wedding happening on the grounds had fireworks. OK, that's cool, but... Turns out the fireworks were at 10:45.
Now, don't get me wrong. If my husband and I were on our own, or if our son was older, this would have been a bonus. But getting a 2-year-old to sleep isn't always easy, and he also wakes us up reliably at 6 am every morning. So this was less than ideal. I got a shrug and a "sorry" from the folks at the front desk when I said this, but that was it.
That night we were predictably woken up at 10:45 to the fireworks. I called the desk to ask how long they'd go on. Five minutes, they said, and that was true and totally fine. We all got back to sleep afterward.
Not long after, we were awoken again, this time by the fireworks guys parked about five feet from our bedroom window, loading up their truck. This must have been close to midnight, although I didn't look at the clock. This really upset me, because this was really something that should have been planned ahead of time by the hotel. I called, got another "sorry," then a manager called back and said she'd come over and check it out. She did, and then apologized and said she'd take money off the bill.
Let me back up here and say that I think it's really great to give people the wedding of their dreams. But I think a hotel like this, which is not cheap (we paid $450 plus tax for the last night we were there -- $350 after the noise complaint discount they gave us) should be a bit more proactive about keeping ALL their guests happy. It would have been nice to get a heads up about the fireworks, and a gesture like offering families free breakfast or something to make up for the disturbance would have gone a long way.
But as it happened, I complained to at least three different people before I was taken seriously. It sort of felt like dealing with customer service at an airline -- lots of empty "sorrys" but no real action to make a customer happy, or make up for the shortcomings of the stay. I know they finally did give us a discount, but for a two-day stay that totaled upwards of $1,500 (we got massages, ate at the restaurant and got room service), that was really the very least they could do.
A few notes about the cottage: It was nicely laid out and very functional with kids, and had great views. But again, for the price, it was pretty tired. It smelled horrible when we got there -- really musty. Things have been updated here and there, but the furniture seemed very old and there wasn't quite that luxury you expect from a place like this.

Room Tip: Try to book a cottage that backs up to the hotel rather than the road. It can be really loud in the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

We're so glad that you were able to enjoy your experience in our restaurant KatieCcccc. We apologize that the wedding festivities disrupted your stay and have shared your feedback with our entire management team. Thank you for expressing your concerns during your stay so that we could address them while you were on property and work to make it right by you. If you'd like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email at: kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com.

There are newer reviews for Alderbrook Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 25, 2013

A nice place for a weekend getaway, especially for some relaxation with friends and family. The resort is right on the water, with a pool, places to eat, spa, and lots of outdoor activities. You can rent kayaks (25/hour for a single) or visit the spa, fitness center or pool. The pool is near the lake and beautiful. There are outdoor places to relax (a patio with food, or around an outdoor fireplace). They have a games center for kids, and a decent complimentary DVD library.

Nearby, we went to the Robin Hood pub which was average. We also rented kayaks and went to the nearby State Park (where you need a Discover Pass) and hiked.

The food at the resort is decent but nothing spectacular. I would suggest to get a cottage and maybe prepare your own meals? The dinner prices are not cheap. Breakfast was decent.

Views are amazing.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shiv G
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

How wonderful that you enjoyed our property and the surrounding area with your friends and family ShivG81! Kayaking is such a wonderful way to experience the Hood Canal. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have shared this experience with our management team and will regard both the positive and constructive feedback for future planning.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have only stayed in the cottages, but I have stayed several times and love them. The cottages are cute, private, quiet and well stocked. The location is fabulous; it is quiet, relaxing and the views are breathtaking. It is definitely a get away, there is not a lot to do as far as activities. This is a place to go to get away from it all, sit back and just relax. There are plenty of water sports to enjoy though and a nice pool. I would ask if there is a large group or wedding when you plan to visit, as it is a small resort and that can interfere with relaxing as it gets crowded. Most of the staff here are excellent - although sometimes the front desk seems a little off on their register practices. Overall, a great place to rejuvenate and enjoy a beautiful natural setting.

2  Thank sctsdlmom
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

We're so glad that you enjoy our cottages and water activities sctsdlmom! Glad to hear that you can "sit back and relax" as well as enjoy the scenery when you are here.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in a Canal View King room. As others have mentioned, there was a wedding in the garden below, but it was not loud, and the party was over around 10pm which was a reasonable time for us. The room was quiet and we never heard our neighbors.

The room was beautiful, very spacious, with an amazing bathtub. The window seat was great for reading a book or enjoying a cup of coffee.

We told the staff it was our anniversary, and when we arrived in the room, a plate of chocolate treats was waiting for us, along with a card signed by the staff. It was a nice touch.

The grounds are very well kept. We enjoyed walking out to the dock. We brought our own kayak, and the staff on the dock gave us great advice about where to paddle. We enjoyed an afternoon paddle from the resort to the marina in Union, and the next morning, we drove down to the marina and paddled into the estuary. We saw bald eagles, herons, and lots of harbor seals. It was amazing!

We ate dinner in the bar, but we ordered off the restaurant menu. The food was very good, a little spendy, but not ridiculous given the surroundings. The crab papardelle was delicious, as were the fried oysters. There were many wines to choose from under $40. The sunset views were well worth it.

We ate brunch in the restaurant the next morning, and we enjoyed the bottomless mimosas and the tasty crab benedict and mushroom omelet.

We will definitely come back. Next time we will probably rent a cottage and bring the kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your anniversary at our property and for sharing your experiences with us kenopdx! It sounds like you two were really able to kick back and enjoy your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back with your family sometime in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at Alderbrook Resort. The backdrop is the beautiful Olympic Mountains and the Hood Canal. The lobby has a beautiful cabin feel and has memorabilia displayed from the area. They also have a few hiking trails mapped out and maintained exclusively for Alderbrook guests. The rooms are reasonably sized. They also have cottages that accommodate families, especially ones with pets. Although I would definitely come back, just a warning about a few things. The food is terrible. At dinner, our steak was burnt, the asparagus was limp and slimy, and the chicken (their specialty) was served awkwardly in a bowl with a weird soupy mushroom concoction. As for our dessert, we left 3/4ths of it untouched. This was off of the nicer menu. The next night we ordered off the lounge menu with much better results. We also tried breakfast which was also disappointing. Another downfall is that the doors to the guest rooms close very loudly. Once guests start moving around in the morning, it sounds like constant cannon booms going off. To sum it up, I would definitely come back here. Opt for the cottages, though, and don't expect great food.

Room Tip: If possible get a water view.
1  Thank Sheri G

Thank you for the lovely descriptions of our property-we're so glad to hear that you enjoyed it and plan to return in the future Sheri G. We value your feedback and have shared your culinary and accommodation experiences with our management team. I'd love it if you'd connect with me directly via email at kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com so that we can have the chance to make it right with you.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We've stayed at Alderbrook Resort twice now and both times enjoyed the amazing setting and natural beauty. The main lodge is elegantly rustic with all the amenities that you would expect from a quality resort. The setting is very family and kid friendly, but perfect for meetings/retreats too, as the setting is idyllic and the food is first rate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

WOW DLGB-thank you for the glowing review! We're so glad that both of your visits were "idyllic" and "first rate"!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I booked a room by phone a week before an anniversary trip. I wanted the room pictured on the internet site with a direct view of the water. I told the reservation person that. When we arrived we were given a canal view with a view of a roof as part of the view. I asked the front desk for a waterfront view room and she said they were sold out. They did however upgrade our room to a bigger room (suite) which was very nice but not a different view. We ordered room service breakfast per the slip you fill out and place on your door the night before. I had read about the wonderful apple dumplings and my husband is a hashbrown fan so we marked those. The next morning the kitchen called saying they were out of the apple dumplings. Then they brought up the breakfast without hashbrowns OR the english muffin we had included in our order. When I called they said they would bring up the english muffin right away. When the young man arrived we asked about the hashbrowns and he said they had discontinued them about a month before but had not changed the room service order form. The potato dish they gave us was awful and inedible. THEN about an hour later housekeeping came into our room despite the do not disturb sign on the door. The housekeeper was very apologetic and upset and showed me the form that showed we had already checked out. We didn't get mad at her or the young man delivering the food as they were truly apologetic and very nice. BUT management needs to address these issues. This was a very special one night anniversary trip we splurged on and these were disappointing things to happen. I highly praise all the employees we had direct contact with, all so kind. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bearsmom_9
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your review and for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us Bearsmom_9. Your feedback on the accommodations, room service and housekeeping has been shared with our managers and we'd love to connect to make things right with you. Please reach out to me directly at kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com so that we can make your next experience with us a perfect northwest getaway.

Alderbrook Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
#2 of 4 in Shelton
Waterfront Inn
Waterfront Inn
#4 of 5 in Gig Harbor

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!