“Great Resort”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
seattle
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

My husband's company hosted a weekend getaway at Alderbrook last weekend, and we had a blast. (It helped that it was almost 90 degree weather all weekend!) It was gorgeous there, the service was better than we're used to (doors were held open for us, check-in and check-out was a breeze, room service came in 20 mins, even though they estimated 40 mins).

The food was great throughout the weekend (we had a welcome reception, breakfast, and dinner catered through the company, and then we ordered lunch @ the restaurant, plus breakfast for room service). Great food and service.

The dock could have used some work, but did not feel unsafe. The pleasant drive out, plus our nice stay made it a perfect weekend getaway from the city. The indoor pool is larger than most hotel pools (looks like a greenhouse from the outside, but I don't think kids care). Exercise room looked very new - average size for a hotel (4 machines + some weights). Nice outdoor fireplaces to sit around.

Room was nicely appointed - comfortable beds/comfoters/pillows/robes.

No complaints!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Portland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

We decided to get away to the Hood Canal last minute. I was able to secure a room just a few days in advance for a great price. We had a creekside room with a view thru the trees of the canal. Our room was spacious with lots of windows and a nice sink area and chaise lounge. The bathroom was small, but the sunken tub was perfect for two. We had dinner in the dining room and had an amazing view from our window table. The food was good and the drinks were excellent. Our server took very good care of us by giving us the space to relax and enjoy the view as we were not in any hurry. We used the pool and hot tub in the morning and had it all to ourselves which was nice. The grounds are really beautiful and it's so quiet. Breakfast was good, but the portions were too big and very pricey compared to dinner. We will stay here again.

• Liked — The view of the Olympic mountains reflecting on the canal.
  • Disliked — Food prices were steep.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tougo
Pacific Northwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

After driving past the Alderbrook for many years, my husband and I finally decided to book a stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Upon entering the lobby, we were very pleased. The lobby is just beautiful, warm, rustic. Our hopes were high.

Even though our check-in time was 4:00 PM, our room wasn't ready until 4:15. When we entered our room, it smelled strongly of cleaning supplies. We were disappointed to see that in room quality, it was no different than any $80/night hotel we'd ever stayed at.
The bed was lovely, but very hard.
The towels were heavy and rough. We didn't dry off after our showers, we sanded off! The bathrobes were also heavy and very stiff.
The snacks in the food basket and mini-fridge were commonplace and over-priced --- A snickers bar for $5.00??? A diet Coke for $5.50??? Come on.....
Late in to the night there was a lot of noise outside our room -- I'm not sure what it was, but it sounded like someone was using a hand-saw and hammer!

The restaurant was lovely, but again -- we paid over $100.00 for a steak dinner and two drinks that was on par with any decent local steakhouse, and at the steak house we'd have gotten a salad or soup WITH the meal, not as an added high-priced extra.
The service was acceptable, though the servers were all dour-faced.
The couple at the table next to ours was seated when we arrived, and never did get their orders taken. They got up and left w/out dining.

The view was indeed beautiful.

The Alderbrook is a nice hotel, but certainly not what we were expecting, and certainly not worth the price.
Stay at the Holiday Inn and get the same quality for less!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AdakGirl
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

My husband and I had a quiet, romantic getaway the last weekend of March. Even though we reserved a room through the Internet at a very reasonable off-season rate, we were upgraded to a beautiful corner room with a spectacular view of the canal and the distant snow-capped mountains. We received an anniversary card at check-in (I barely remembered noting our 35th anniversary on the web site comments section), and we were greeted warmly. We felt as if we were the only guests, even though a UW conference was taking place on the grounds. It was just the relaxing stay we'd hoped for. We enjoyed morning coffee in our room enjoying the gorgeous view from the window seat. The robes were cozy, and the toiletries smelled wonderful. We enjoyed a stroll through the grounds and the natural landscaping and fountains. We found the site so relaxing that we decided against the spa treatments we'd planned. We didn't need them in this setting.

Our room was clean, spacious, and well-appointed. I only wish they'd provided a throw or light blanket to cuddle under on the window seat.

Our meals in the restaurant were so-so. While the crab macaroni and cheese was a hit (though very rich!), other items were just adequate. We would have preferred more "simple and fresh" and less trying so hard to be innovative. For example, I would have loved a dessert of brulee or something chocolate and decadent, but every item included hazelnut, Kahlua, or unusual flavors. We wound up having a scoop of ice cream with our coffee!

I wound definitely recommend Alderbook to others.

• Liked — Window seat and deck vew, cleanliness, spacious room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

I stayed at the Alderbrook resort because I was attending a conference there. The property is stunning and my room was perfect! I loved the feel of the place and I wished I could have done more relaxing!

My only problem with Adlerbrook was the really thin walls. You can hear everything you're neighbors are doing or watching on tv. One of my neighbors recieved a 6am wake up call and because of the thin walls, it was also my wake up call.

Other than that, this was a wonderful place to stay!!

• Liked — My room was beautiful!
  • Disliked — The thin walls!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Kelly2679
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

I took my 2 daughters 11 and 14 for our 3rd Annual Mom and Daughter get away. I found this resort on the internet. It was a 3 hour drive from Langley, B.C. We had a great trip up, the weather was good and we stopped at all the outlet malls.
When we arrived at the resort and it was just as it appeared on the internet, looks very new, but has the lodge feel and look we were wanting for this trip. We were very excited to see our room. The Lobby is wonderful, Huge ceilings and a wonderful stone fireplace always roaring. Very cozy too. They have just purchased 2 lynx kittens named alder and brooke, they are a hoot. The Lobby and grounds were beautiful and clean, they have a magnificent waterfall just outside the Lobby with stepping stones that you can walk up. There is a wharf complete with a spirit shack. This would be really nice in the summer, boat rentals, tours etc. Check in was very fast and the girl was courteous. (It would be a real treat if the lobby had fresh flowers instead of silk and a fruit basket) Coffee is available in the am. We had a creekside room (room 329) and could see some of the Hood Canal, but we didn't ask for a water view room. The room was very well appointed for our needs and had a coffee bodem, tea, creamers, sugar, etc, and a nice pay treat basket, (we always bring our own) minibar, hundreds of movie selections on their pay per view - 9.99 per movie. The beds were very nice, loads of pillows and nice down comforters. You have full control of the room temp. The bathroom is very nice, big tub (ours did not have jets, we were not exptecting them, The shower has built in hair shampoo, condition and gel dispensers. (so does the bathroom sink) Plenty of fluffy white towels and 2 wonderful robes. We needed a 3rd robe and they brought one to us very quickly. I will post some pix. They also have cottages that are very well appointed, there is nothing old and rustic about these, we plan to come back with "the Dad" in the summer and spend a weekend. The pool is really clean (open to 1030 which is great for the kids) and warm, they have lots of floats and toys. The hot tub is really nice and there are plenty of towels at the pool, so you dont have to bring from the room. (hope this is the same in the summer) There is a steam room and sauna, very clean too. Just outside the pool area (you can access inside the pool) is the fitness room, its great, large TV and treadmills, eliptical bikes, weights etc and my fav part (hand sanitizer) very clean gym. The spa is very nice, the girls had their nails painted, and the girls were great. The spa has a fruit basket and cucumber water to enjoy while you wait, very serene. We took a drive up the canal, not much up there a couple of antique shops, general store - great icecream. Its best to do your shopping before you go and just relax in the hotel. The restaurant is really good and it has a very nice view of the canal and mountains. They are very easy going at this resort, we felt relaxed and there was not people watching our every move, we could sit anywhere to read and just relax. We felt very comfortable here and would return for another girls getaway

• Liked — The Lodge feel, pool, jacuzzi, room, everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Simpsons7519
Seattle area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

I had heard rave reviews from friends about Alderbrook over
the years. After reading the reviews on this site, I wanted to
arrive with an open mind, since the reviews were not
consistent.

From the moment we arrived, we were treated with warmth and
genuine, friendly service.

Our room was nicely appointed and we had a lovely view
of the canal.

The food in both the bar and restaurant was top notch, as well as
the service. Any question we had about the menu or wine
was answered knowledgeably with a smile.

The resort itself has a "lodge" feel, with a huge stone fireplace
in the lobby.

The only negative we had was the lack of sound proofing of
the room. We could hear conversations from the rooms
next to us. However, the positives were so numerous that this
wasn't a deal breaker for us.

We did not use the spa, but it has a varied menu of items
and looked inviting.

I would highly recommend this property to others.

I travel each week for a living and I stay in many different hotels.
Service and ambience are important to me and I have high
expectations. Alderbrook was a wonderful peaceful retreat where
I was able to "recharge" before heading off to my next trip.

• Liked — peaceful setting; food and wine, service
  • Disliked — hearing others while in the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelgalSeattlearea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Super 8 Shelton
Super 8 Shelton
#2 of 4 in Shelton
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!