“Work - Play - Family: All needs were met!”

Alderbrook Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Kirkland, Washington
“Work - Play - Family: All needs were met!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was there for a business retreat and my husband and 1 year old son came along. From the initial reservation, to the guest room set-up (pack-n-play waiting in our room) to the restaurant staff (brought crackers for my son to nibble while we waited on our dinner) - every need was met and expectation exceeded!

Room Tip: Make sure you request a water view room. Worth the extra money to wake up and look out onto Hood Ca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
KTougas, Thank you so much for the kind review. We appreciate you being our guest and are so glad you chose to bring the family. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. ~Frank for Alderbrook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I spent an evening at Alderbrook as a Anniversary Celebration and a quick getaway! Next time we'll stay longer!
The staff greeted us warmly and our dog was made welcome with his own doggy bed in the room! The grounds are beautiful as is hiking the immediate grounds surrounding the resort. Our room was comfortable and had a door access to outside for "quick" walks with our dog.
Our dinner was delicious as was the breakfast the next day! All in all- we recommend and will return for a longer retreat and utilize some of the resorts spa services!

Room Tip: If your traveling with a dog- the dog rooms are lovely with great access to outdoors- yet still priv...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Pam S, Thank you so much for the review. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay. That, of course, makes us very happy. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thanks again. ~Frank for Alderbrook Resort and Spa
Seattle
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I visited the property recently for a wedding. We were so pleased with our accommodations and the entire resort was so beautiful. Some of our friends stayed in the cabins and are glad we stayed inside the resort - the hotel rooms are definitely nicer. The room was clean, the beds very comfortable, the bathroom was large and clean. The one complaint is the walls were very thin. We were woken up very early our second night by people partying in the room next door and room service delivery in the hallway the next morning. Decor was very tasteful and I love that the bathrooms are equipped with Molton Brown products! They really do think of everything.

We had room service one morning and at breakfast at the restaurant the second day. They seemed to be low on staff for room service as it arrived a lot later than promised and they forgot a few items but the food was very good and fresh. The restaurant is very nice and while expensive, the view from most tables cannot be beat and I think it's worth it. There really aren't many other options in the area for dining so either plan on eating at the hotel or bring groceries (the nearest grocery store is a good 20+ minutes away). The room had a mini bar with drinks and snacks but you could ask for the food to be removed so you have room to bring stuff. They do have a Keurig in each room as well as coffee and citrus water in the lobby.

I have had a massage at the spa before and it was one of the best I've ever had - I would highly recommend the spa. It is so relaxing.

I will definitely come back to this resort!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FrankJKenny, Front Office Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
la12_traveler, Thank you so much for the review. Your feedback is valuable to us and we truly do appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts. I will also be in touch with the spa to let them know what you said. They aim to please. Hope to see you again soon. ~Frank for Alderbrook
Seattle
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Though I lived for many years less than 30 miles from this resort, I had never heard of it. In fact, I found it while doing a search on Google for "Washington Resort and Spa." We booked a room, dinner reservations, and spa appointments to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Booking online worked fine and everything was accurate upon our arrival.

First, the check-in and room - we arrived early and our room was actually ready! We knew we were off to a good start. Then, we arrived at our room - it was near the spa and on the upper level. Not only was the room clean and comfortable, we loved that our balcony had the afternoon sun exposure. My husband and I enjoyed sitting on the balcony (and actually watched a wedding take place).

Second, the grounds - we had no idea that the resort was right ON the Hood Canal. We were steps from the water, and packed a picnic lunch to eat on the dock. It was fabulous. It even included a brief sighting of a seal. There is an outdoor firepit...and it's very kid and dog friendly without feeling like you're at Disneyland.

Third, the restaurant - it was above what we had expected. We have traveled a lot and have generally been disappointed in the "hotel" food wherever we have stayed. The portion sizes were bigger than we expected. Overall, my dinner was prepared perfectly (Alaskan scallops) but my husband's was just okay (elk osso buco). The wine list is average, and our waiter didn't know much about it. So, if you're a foodie and a wino (like we are), you'll be better off choosing your own.

Fourth, the bar - we opted for breakfast in the bar. We enjoyed the massive water view and thought the waitress/bartender was fabulous. One of the best bloody marys I have ever tasted and the eggs benedict was delicious.

Five, the spa - we had signature massages. While it wasn't the very best massage I've had, it was still relaxing and wonderful. The spa is very quiet and quaint. Even though the sauna and steam room are adjacent to the pool (co-ed and kid friendly), they were both clean, nice, and relaxing.

Overall, we were impressed and would definitely go back. It's not cheap, but it is worth the money.

Room Tip: Since the resort is on the south side, it's a bit shady. If you prefer sun, try to score a room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
WondrTravelr, Thank you for the very well written and thorough review. Rather than respond to each point we will just say thank you for the feedback. It is much appreciated. And thank you for being our guest! ~Frank for Alderbrook Resort and Spa
Lakewood, Washington
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We made the trip to Alderbrook from our home in Tacoma to experience a great dinner in a beautiful setting. While the location is idyllic, the restaurant was a huge disappointment. We were seated for dinner at 6:30PM and ordered fairly quickly as I had both my children with us. The service was excellent and my initial impressions were positive. The appetizers arrived in a reasonable time, however, the clams were swimming in a broth that was so salty I needed to drink water after each bite. The crab cakes were good. The next 1.2 hours proved to be the most frustrating. It took well over 1 hour from the time we finished our appetizers to the time dinner was finally served, We were repeatedly told that it would be just a few more minutes. When dinner finally arrived I would say most dishes, there were 6 of us, were good but not great. My son's ravioli was overcooked and bland. The other dishes were just OK. When you are spending in the neighborhood of $30-$40 for an entree you expect an excellent dinner. The host did apologize for the slow service telling us that it was an unusually busy night coupled with a new kitchen staff. Had I not made reservations well in advance, I might be more understanding.Will we go back-never

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi Mark H, Thank you for letting us know. Our director of Food and Beverage is researching what happened that night. We are so sorry for letting you, and ourselves, down. If we can make this up to you please contact the resort at marty.mccormack@alderbrookresort.com. We are very proud of being a Conde Nast Reader's Choice Award Winner for Top Mainland Resort and Top Ten Spa and Voted #1 Resort in King 5's Evening Magazine's Best NW Escapes. We would like to earn back your trust. ~Frank for Alderbrook Resort and Spa
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were here for a conference. The facilities were superb, comfortable chairs, break out rooms, plenty of restrooms, attentive staff, reasonable food. The food was very good , not spectacular but then conference food rarely is.
The rooms were comfortable, the decks are tiny but have lovely views of the water and the mountains. The beds and linens were superb. The place is relatively "noisy"-- in some hotels the doors have an automatic easy shut so they don't slam-- not this one- lots of slamming loud doors all night. Also you can easily hear all your neighbors flushing toilets, showering, etc --even with earplugs. Again at a place this expensive I have been at other properties which attended to these experiences... that's mainly why it gets a very good.
The staff were attentive and helpful. The lobby was lovely with a fireplace, two adorable cats, coffee in the AM and flavored water and apples all the rest of the day with newspapers.
The food in the restaurant and bar was so so. The first night we has oysters-- reportedly Hama hama Bay oysters are world renowed. Well you sure couldn't tell by the huge amounts of breading and gloppy sauce all over them. The clam chowder and the salads were really good as were the martinis and wine selection. The next night my husband had the vegetarian raviolis which were good but not particularly special. I had fish and chips-- Ok but not superb...
The breakfast was average...
There really isn't much to do at this resort--- if you weren't at a conference. There were a couple of weddings there but there isn't anywhere to go for a long beach walk... there are some walking trails behind the resort on the mountainside... but unless you wanted to play golf or maybe take out a kayak ( they looked incredibly clunky-- we are kayakers these would be very slow but stable) -- I'm not sure what you'd do. I guess you could read on your deck and just be quiet or go to the spa which we didn't do. The pool was very warm and full of chlorine-- perfect for little kids but not lap swimmers and the gym had a few weights...
Oh yes and the cleanliness-- AVERAGE-- my bathroom had some left over rubbish behind the door and some mold in the but and several large splatters on the mirror over the sink and a huge amount of fruit flies ( no food in the room)... that was odd for this level of place.... made me wonder..

Room Tip: if you go the rooms facing the Olympic mountains from the deck is a lovely view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LaurettaYoung
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hi Lauretta, Thank you for your review and comments. Good feedback for us to consider. As a Conde Nast Reader's Choice Award Winner for Top Mainland Resort and Top Ten Spa and voted #1 Resort in King 5's Evening Magazine's Best NW Escapes contest we have the highest of standards for ourselves. We truly appreciate our valued guests, like you, sharing their thoughts and feelings. That is how to improve each day. Looking forward to having you as a guest again. ~Frank for Alderbrook Resort and Spa.
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for three days for a business meeting, but will certainly return privately.
Great location, amazing scenery and a wide variety of activities. The rooms are spacious and well equipped, the dining is good and the patio at the back of the hotel is a fabulous spot for a pre- or after dinner drink

• Stayed October 2012
HI Dbaerts, Thank you for the review. Sounds like you had a great business meeting. We are honored to host so many business events. It is especially pleasant when a meeting guest becomes a part of the Alderbrook family by coming on their own or with family. Be well. Until next time...~Frank for Alderbrook Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Little Creek Casino Resort
Best Western Wesley Inn & Suites
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
#5 of 8 in Bremerton
Hampton Inn & Suites Olympia Lacey
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!