“Birthday getaway”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Surrey, Canada
“Birthday getaway”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My boyfriend had purchased a spa package for my birthday last year from Alderbrook. It's in a very secluded part of Washington, and the best part of this place is the adventure you have getting there. the spa was such a wonderful treat, i absolutely loved how friendly and good at their job the masseuses were! the room was gorgeous. The bar was great! They game me Creme brulee for a birthday desert! So good. I only have two complaint, the walls aren't very sound proof and the room could have been a little cleaner. let's just say we found evidence of what someone had did last in the room.

Room Tip: Everywhere has a good view..but some are a lot better then others. they also had cabins for rent whi...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This is basically a wedding facility, a fact kept from unsuspecting guests who would like a peaceful get away.

I felt like an uninvited wedding guest. Unacceptable when paying a premium for a room. Hanging out at the waterfront, the center piece of the hotel. was awkward, because of the wedding that was there. I couldn't take refuge in my room because the music from the wedding was audible through out the whole place. The pool and spa was adjacent to the the wedding area and it seemed lame to be in our suits with everyone in their formal wear right on the other side of the glass wall so we didn't go.

The grounds are beautiful, the rooms very nice but the vibe is impersonal and corporate, unfortunately. Tacky easy listening music piped in to lobby.

I talked to someone who works there and she said they do 3 weddings a day in the summer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SusanCharlie
Washington
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I recently attended a business meeting at this resort. The only bad thing was that I was in meetings all day and didn't get to fully enjoy the facility. Somehow I lucked out and ended up in one of the cottages. A spacious two bedroom bungalow with all the amenities of home. A great deck that overlooked Hood Canal was a great bonus. The grounds were well maintained and the setting, even in early October screamed of summer fun. There was a great fire pit and the indoor pool right on the water looked very inviting (didn't get to use it but looked very nice). Our group had a great dinner right on the water under a tent. This was a risky proposition considering the time of year but it was very pleasant and the food was excellent. Overall great place that I would recommend for anyone. This totally exemplifies what the Puget Sound area is all about.

• Stayed September 2011
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 2, 2011

This is an excellent location for a variety of options -- girls weekend, romantic weekend or family weekend. I went with 5 other women for a girls getaway, the location was serene and beautiful, incredible vistas and walks. I truly enjoyed the location, the options of water sports including kayaking, paddle boarding, paddle boats, canoes, etc. The restaurant had terrific side dishes and service. ALICIA and CHRIS were incredibly helpful and friendly, tried to make us happy at all costs, giving us desserts when we weren't thrilled with our entree. ALICIA even made a point to come over to us the second night to say hello and introduce us to our server. In my opinion, the bar food was better than the restaurant. This resort has exceptional customer service, they are incredibly friendly and want to serve as best they can. The spa is lovely, albeit small, make reservations early. My only complaint is the cost of coffee in our room, I prefer to enjoy coffee in my own room before breakfast. When I had to go to the lobby for the free coffee, they were very apologetic that they were out and I had to wait for 10 minutes, apologized twice for this. Take advantage of the walks, trails, water activities and opportunity to sit at the firepits.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water obviously are lovely. I stayed in a cottage, ask for cottage closest to the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2011

If you are looking for the place that can double as a family place or romantic getaway then don't hesitate to stay here. My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary and it was by far the best experience we have ever had. From the atmosphere, staff, food and service this is top of the line. That was our first stay and can't wait to go back with the kids. We ate in the bar area so our dining credit would go farther. The wagyu burgers are delicious. Our room service breakfast was ordered the night before and was delivered right on time. There was no disappointments on the whole trip. If you are thinking of staying here do yourself a favor and do it.

• Stayed September 2011
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The view is phenomenal so its perfect for weddings and thats what keeps them busy. We went with two kids aged 3 and 7 and other than the indoor pool, there was nothing for them to do. We went for one nite and had planned to stay for two (in case we got a room) but didnt feel the need to coz there was nothing to do. We also found it pricey although the rooms were definitely good. Food was awesome and we had top shelf drinks that were very well made.
This place is great for people with no kids, or those who have boats and/or interested in fishing/golf. We did not use the golf course or the spa. But we did go to the Golf community and biked around and the course is very nice. We carried our bikes all the way thinking there must be trails to bike but there were none. Had to go to the Golf community coz that had some flat land but that was it. So thats another negative for us.

They can make huge improvements to this place if they truly want to call it a resort. There is scope to add more stuff for recreation and kids. As is, i would not go back again with kids. I would rather go to Suncadia in Cle Elum that is much closer and has more to do.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MG_AKS
Cameron Park, CA
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Lovely resort, nice views. I would say your paying for the location mostly, the hotel is over priced, you have to pay for coffee in the room, really! For the price coffee should be free. They do have free coffee in the lobby. No valet to take your bags to your room, it's a do it yourself place, found that strange for the level of this resort. I was here for a wedding which was very well done by the hotel, good food. I have to say the breakfast we had at the restaurant was delicious, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Robin Hood Village Resort
Little Creek Casino Resort
Best Western Wesley Inn & Suites
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
Oyster Bay Inn & Suites
#5 of 8 in Bremerton
Hampton Inn & Suites Olympia Lacey
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!