“Good sandwiches, but slow dining. Chilly inside.”
Review of 316 Bistro

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
316 Bistro
Ranked #36 of 54 Restaurants in Tumwater
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We met some friends at this new restaurant in Tumwater. It’s in a house that has been converted into a restaurant. There were quite a few people there despite the hidden location. Our friends had eaten there the previous week and told us the food was really good. We got to sit by the fireplace, which was helpful since every time the front door opens the chilly wind comes in. I hated going to the restroom because it was frigid in there.

The menu is split between sandwiches and entrees. All the choices sounded great. My wife ordered the black forest ham sandwich with Gruyere cheese and Dijon mustard. I ordered a turkey, Brie and apple Panini. Our friends also ordered sandwiches, one having a half sandwich with a bowl of French onion soup. She said that the soup was excellent. The bistro carries Olympia beer on tap, plus a number of other beers. We visited while we had drinks. The room is noisy since there is nothing to absorb sound.

The sandwiches were quite large. My wife ate only half of hers. It had very good flavor (how can you go wrong with black forest ham?). As a bonus, two days later the bread was not soggy and I ate the leftover sandwich right out of the refrigerator. My Panini was delicious, though the apple slices tended to slide out. The only disappointment was the plain fries. My wife thought they had no taste, so she only ate a few, which says a lot. The bistro offers fries with toppings, so that may be a better option.

For dessert I tried the vanilla ice cream with a raspberry and balsamic vinegar swirl. It was a very large serving and delicious. The balsamic added some tang and kept the raspberry from being too sweet. Our friends ate their entire meal plus dessert and happily moaned about being too stuffed for the rest of the evening.

I was surprised how long we were there. I had expected that since we had ordered sandwiches that we’d be out quickly. So, I don’t know how fast this place would be for lunch, but we will definitely go back, but will probably split a sandwich.

1  Thank Cake_of_Liberty

Been to 316 Bistro? Share your experiences!