“Traditional, affordable, and delish!”

Ramirez Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 49 Restaurants in Tumwater
Cuisines: Mexican
Washington State
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Traditional, affordable, and delish!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Love this place - the Pozole is my goto FAVORITE, while my daughter fancies the BIG Carne Asada quesadilla.

• Visited February 2013

chichullo
“New favorite”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Love this place. Not fancy, but really good food. Neat as a pin.
Excellent prices.
Only suggestion would be better salsa. Not sure what the deal is with that, but the food is so good we will keep coming.

Plus, they sell fresh, hot flour or corn tortilla and home made tamales togo. Buy them by the dozen.

Shelton, Washington
“Amazing food for a great value!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This place is easy to pass by and not even know that it is there. It looks to be a store and is a store to buy groceries at BUT it is also a restaurant! Soon as we opened the door I was salivating from the smells that entered my nose!

FOOD: Great, tender, full of flavor and fresh!

VALUE: Very affordable and the plates are filled with all manner of goodness!

SERVICE: We were tended to quickly and then left alone to eat our chips and wait for our meal which arrived quickly. Hands down, quickest I have been served in a long time!

Of course I ordered the Combo platter and then ate way too many chips while we were waiting. I do that every time but it just meant that I got to take most of my meal home with us and ate it for dinner.

• Visited January 2013
Olympia, WA
“Good value for lunch; lacks ambiance for nice dinner”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I realized halfway through a merely okay dinner at this Mexican restaurant that I should have come for lunch. The whiteboard listing daily lunch specials called out to me across the small dining room with descriptions of taco trios or a carnitas burrito at value prices. Meanwhile, I was eating my way through an unremarkable chile rellenos plate. My dining companion ordered the pozole soup, which arrived in a big bowl. That dish featured a generous helping of pork, not very much hominy, a liberal dose of salt, and scant spice or other flavor. At lunch I might not have minded the sterile, cafeteria-style ambiance. But at dinner the fluorescent lighting in a grocery store alcove facing an uninspiring parking lot view left something to be desired. This establishment serves beer, but if you want a margarita, you'll have to look elsewhere because it does not have a liquor license. On the plus side, the service was prompt and genuinely friendly.
At the time of this writing, Ramirez is the top-rated restaurant in Tumwater. I suppose that could be a sad commentary on the quality of local competition. Alternatively, previous Trip Advisor reviewers might have been overly generous in their marks.

• Visited November 2012
Majorca, Spain
“About time!”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Good Mexican food was non-existent in the Olympia area, that is until this place opened, a small grocery in a declining strip mall, that also happens to serve up terrific food. The choices are few, probably a dozen or so items on the menu, but they make their own tortillas and chips and everything the kitchen puts out (and I have literally eaten the menu) is just terrific and quite authentic. Here you will not get a plate of "glop" as I like to call most Oly mexican, something reheated with a bunch of refried beans and rice designed to appeal to those who don't know good Mexican food. Finally, finally, finally, we have decent Mexican food in the south sound! Next to the register, they keep a cooler full of warm tortillas, perfect to take home after browsing the store and meat counter and picking up other items to take home as well.

• Visited July 2012