“Amazing food for a great value!”

Ramirez Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 50 Restaurants in Tumwater
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This place is easy to pass by and not even know that it is there. It looks to be a store and is a store to buy groceries at BUT it is also a restaurant! Soon as we opened the door I was salivating from the smells that entered my nose!

FOOD: Great, tender, full of flavor and fresh!

VALUE: Very affordable and the plates are filled with all manner of goodness!

SERVICE: We were tended to quickly and then left alone to eat our chips and wait for our meal which arrived quickly. Hands down, quickest I have been served in a long time!

Of course I ordered the Combo platter and then ate way too many chips while we were waiting. I do that every time but it just meant that I got to take most of my meal home with us and ate it for dinner.

There are newer reviews for Ramirez Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I realized halfway through a merely okay dinner at this Mexican restaurant that I should have come for lunch. The whiteboard listing daily lunch specials called out to me across the small dining room with descriptions of taco trios or a carnitas burrito at value prices. Meanwhile, I was eating my way through an unremarkable chile rellenos plate. My dining companion ordered the pozole soup, which arrived in a big bowl. That dish featured a generous helping of pork, not very much hominy, a liberal dose of salt, and scant spice or other flavor. At lunch I might not have minded the sterile, cafeteria-style ambiance. But at dinner the fluorescent lighting in a grocery store alcove facing an uninspiring parking lot view left something to be desired. This establishment serves beer, but if you want a margarita, you'll have to look elsewhere because it does not have a liquor license. On the plus side, the service was prompt and genuinely friendly.
At the time of this writing, Ramirez is the top-rated restaurant in Tumwater. I suppose that could be a sad commentary on the quality of local competition. Alternatively, previous Trip Advisor reviewers might have been overly generous in their marks.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Good Mexican food was non-existent in the Olympia area, that is until this place opened, a small grocery in a declining strip mall, that also happens to serve up terrific food. The choices are few, probably a dozen or so items on the menu, but they make their own tortillas and chips and everything the kitchen puts out (and I have literally eaten the menu) is just terrific and quite authentic. Here you will not get a plate of "glop" as I like to call most Oly mexican, something reheated with a bunch of refried beans and rice designed to appeal to those who don't know good Mexican food. Finally, finally, finally, we have decent Mexican food in the south sound! Next to the register, they keep a cooler full of warm tortillas, perfect to take home after browsing the store and meat counter and picking up other items to take home as well.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a great little dive in a strip mall. Don't be put off by its facade. The food is homemade, cheap, plentiful, and tasty. There are daily specials that are reasonably priced. I am reminded of Mexico every time I step inside. Fresh tortillas and pan dulce add to the originality.

1  Thank ChrisC6649
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here a few times and they are always good. I had their tamales today and they were awesome. Great food at a great price.

1  Thank Kevin T