“Stay away, STAY FAR AWAY!”

Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tumwater
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This hotel is probably the worst hotel I've ever been in and that includes real dumps on the side of country roads. The place reeks of cigarette smoke, it's filthy, the staff will keep your mail and messages unless you specifically ask for them, it's falling apart (bits and pieces of ceiling come down from the person above the room walking across their room), the staff is rude and inconsiderate, if you are told a rate over the phone you better get it writing somehow because when you get there you may or may not get that rate, loud parties in the rooms management will do nothing about, There is rarely more than one person on staff at any given time so good luck getting any help if you need it, the "updates" that were done on the hotel rooms are very shoddy, the bathroom fan sounded like a jet landing, the "continental breakfast" was oatmeal and coffee, the walls are paper thin, the toilets are power flushers that will spray you and the surrounding area if you don't close the lid before flushing. I don't know how these people stay in business.

Room Tip: Avoid the entire hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Snowyegret51
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It was disheartening to read that our hotel did not meet your expectations. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I am working with the staff to enhance the services and amenities we offer. Also, I am coaching them on how to provide better customer service moving forward to ensure that all of our guests needs are attended to in a professional as well as warm manner.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater

Reviewed December 12, 2013

The room was very clean (updated) I was happy with the good service from Ashley at the front desk. The price of the room was very low. I booked through Priceline.
The only small downside was that it was a bit difficult to find , not having a GPS.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Glen - It is so rewarding to read that you had a good stay with us. Thank you for your comments. It's great to hear that Ashley provided you with such great service. I will let her know your thoughts, along with the rest of our staff.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Our one night stay at Extended Stay in Tumwater/Olympia was a complete disappointment. We checked-in late evening, and shortly after realized simple expectations when staying at a hotel were not met; clean room and quiet accommodations.

It was obvious the room had not been cleaned since the previous guest had checked-out. Dirty toilet. Garbage in trash bins. No drinking glasses or coffee mugs. Carpet needed vacuum. No dish soap. Bedding on queen sized bed was fit with twin sheets and was thin.

Again, simple expectations when staying in any hotel is a clean room and quiet accommodations. Front desk closes at 11pm and is literally abandoned all night. This is unacceptable when you check-in and find major problems with your room. The rest of the night was not pleasant; blaring television from the room above and snoring from a guest above or next door. Again, how can Extended Stay rectify a poor and uncomfortable situation for a guest when the hotel is literally not available overnight?

I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. I hope it was just bad timing and an isolated incident.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ryan A

Ryan - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies that you where checked in to a dirty room. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that this is an isolated incident and I will be working with my team to ensure this doesn't happen in the future. Also, I want to let you know that we always have someone here on-site to assist guests with any issues they may be having. If staff is not available at the front desk, they can be reached by the phone in the lobby. I apologize that you were not made aware of that.

Thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again soon to show you our enhanced efforts.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Asked for room on higher floor and was told room next to entry on ground floor was the only one available. Talking and laughing outside window went on early and late. Smoke alarm went off in the middle of the night and fire department roamed around with no explanation. A pile of dry macaroni, paper scraps and dirt adorned the middle of the carpet and heater didn't work in the room with no extra blankets. But the microwave worked and ice trays were full.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Front desk staff is untrained and not helpful. Fridge in room was not turned on so we couldn't keep our food cold and there is no ice machine. Utensils were dirty. Coffee pot still has a coffee filter in it from who knows when, it's moldy! The bed was badly made with the top sheet and blanket practically short sheeted. The room smelled terrible of chemicals.
This hotel looks nice and was fairly comfortable. The people and the work they are doing are the problem.
I know this is a hard job because I've done it before. But if people would just do the job they are supposed to do right the first time, it is possible to do it right.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BNT71185
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know about the cleanliness issues in the room. I want to let you know that this is definitely not our standard here. We are sorry for this issue, and are ensuring that guest rooms are inspected thoroughly before guest check-in. Still, I am happy to read that you where satisfied with your overall stay at our hotel.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Just somewhere to sleep really,no frills. But our room did have a mini kitchen ,not really any grocery around to utilize. 1 fast food place,so that's limited. And bring your blow dryer and toiletries,none provided except I sml bar of soap.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Wickedblondie
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you during your stay. I would like to let you know that we do have hair dryers and additional toiletries for guest at the front desk; I apologize that you were not informed of that at check-in.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were adequate, basic. Beds were comfortable.

Basically, you need to ask for everything you need (hair dryer, soap) but the service is friendly.

No maid service or fitness center.

Free coffee and pre-packaged breakfast bars / muffins.

Located right off highway, next to 7-11 and Jack in the Box.

Stay here if its close to where you want to be... Otherwise no reason to pick this place.

• Stayed: August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness of your room. As well, it is great to read that you liked our grab-and-go breakfast as well as our hotel's location.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumwater
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Best Western Tumwater-Olympia Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Olympia
The Governor Hotel, a Coast Hotel
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 9 in Olympia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia

Been to Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater? Share your experiences!