“Decent place, but I'm not dreaming about going back”

Motel 6 Tumwater - Olympia
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tumwater
Fresno, CA
“Decent place, but I'm not dreaming about going back”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Last month Olympia had a freak winter storm and this was one of the few places with heat and lights. My daughter, her dog, and I went here for the night so we could get heat, light, and hot running water.

Service was only adequate. The room was marginally clean. Wifi cost $3 for 24 hours and was quirky to be generous.

On the plus side, they let us stay with a 120 pound Rottweiler; on the minus side, I'd be afraid to stay there if I didn't have a 120 pound Rottweiler with me. It was right off the highway and I believe many of the ladies staying there rented by the hour.

We weren't troubled by the outside noise because the room heater was so noisy. We did stay warm and there was plenty of hot water. We also had a little fridge and microwave.

We actually slept well and were grateful that they gave us a haven during a time of distress.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Olympia, Washington, United States
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Friendly staff, had to move rooms because on of them the toilet wasn't working, and the other room and no power, so this is our 3rd room, slow wi fi, dirty floors, each room i noticed at different bedding, so some of them might not be comfortable, good motel to stay in if your power goes out or an emergency, someone woke me up at 7 am, housekeepers come in without premission

Room Tip: Choose upstairs room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam3210
Bay Area California
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I stayed here in October 2011. They had remodeled the rooms and it was really nice to see the flat screen TV and the splash of color in the room and the new style of furniture and bed spread. I wasn't too happy with the tile floors but the color of the tile (pine wood) added to the room. They could have had throw rugs in certain areas but oh well. It looked nice. The one problem I had with the floor is they don't mop often and because of the color of the floor it's hard to tell if it's dirty. I found out because I spilled something on the floor and used a towel to wipe it up and the towel came up coal black not cool at all. So I suggest when you check in if it's early enough have them come in and mop the floor (wear flip flops anyway I would never walk on a bare hotel floor or carpets either for that matter). I always bring my own sheets & towels anywhere I travel although theirs seem to be pretty clean I just feel better doing that :) I did have a problem with the bathroom it hadn't been updated and it should have been because it was pretty old. The bath tub walls needed a new wall tile and that was it. They never seem to clean the bathroom as good as it should be cleaned in my experience in coming here but it's clean just not good enough for me...so I always end up cleaning that too (I do it at better hotels too I just feel good knowing I cleaned it better). The cool part is with the upgrade there is a microwave and a small fridge that is a plus! I will say the bed sucked. They need better mattresses the ones they have are not very comfortable thin and kinda cheap but again for the price of the room it will have to work you kinda get what you pay for ya know. As always the manager I think her name was Maria (the short one lol!) was really nice and helpful. All of the hotel employees were nice and helpful. I have never had a problem with that. Over all for the price you can't beat it. It's close tot he freeway and fast food spots and a few bigger restaurants. Whenever I'm in town I'd definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travelcritique
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Just stayed at this motel 9/26/2011. The young girl at the front desk was very friendly. Once we had gotten in our room she called to make sure we were satisfied. Room appeared to have been updated recently. Bathroom is sort of European style with a rounded shower stall. The sink is raised and the towel holders were unique. Except for a bit of carpet at the doorway, the floors are covered with a wood grain material. I think it's a great idea because the floor is easy to clean and doesn't hold odors like carpet. The beds were firm and comfortable and there was a 26" flat screen TV to watch with crystal clear reception. Both my friend and I were surprised that this was a Motel 6. If all rooms are like this I don't think there's any room to complain based on the price you pay. I will agree the walls are a bit thin and we were in an end room close to a stairway. If you're going to be in Tumwater on a budget, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the stairways.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bay Area California
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I have been staying at this Motel for about 5 years anytime I come to visit the area. It has definitely improved over the years. It's not a five star hotel so you get what you pay for, The staff is great. They have always treated me nice and accommodated me for anything I made have needed. I have no complaints whatsoever about the staff. It's pretty decent as far as cleanliness for being a Motel 6. Now I do bring my own sheets (BUT I DO THAT AT AT ANY HOTEL) I do it at five stars too I'm just weird like that I feel better sleeping on my own sheets. I also bring my own cleaning supplies because no one can clean like I can like I said I'm just weird like that. I am NOT saying the hotel is not clean I just don't sleep on ANY hotel sheets. They have remodeled some rooms over the years and I hope it's all completed by the time I return again. So again for the money and being that it's not a big city it's a cool place to stay :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I needed a place to stay in the Olympia area for two nights, and being the frugal (cheap) traveler that I am, I chose the cheapest place I could find - the Motel 6 in Tumwater. Having read various mixed reviews online for this particular Motel 6, I was a little unsure about planning to stay there, but I can honestly say that I was pleased with my choice. The staff were friendly and accomodating to my requests, and the room was clean and tidy. My room looked to have been recently remodeled, and it had a nice flat screen TV, a microwave, and a refrigerator. Wifi was $3 for 24 hours, and it worked great.

My only real complaints about the motel were due to the other guests. For one, there were some kinda rough-lookin' people staying there and hanging out - it's about what I would expect for the price point though (I can't say that I always look like Mr. Clean cut either, so I shouldn't judge). Secondly, I received multiple prank calls at 1am, presumably from a random guest - I didn't expect the staff to be able to do anything about it, so I just unplugged the phone. Third, half the motel was loading up on the free coffee at the same time I was trying to get some (even a 5 year old girl had a cup in her hand - c'mon), so both pots were empty by the time I got there. Oh well.

Seriously though, for the money it's pretty nice. They have vending machines and a laundry room, a pool, and it's a really short walk to a handful of local restaurants and other businesses. They allow pets too; half of the other guests I saw had a dog or two with them. I had almost chosen to stay at a local mom 'n pop type of motel for similar money, but I'm glad I didn't. For the money, for one or a few nights, I think it's a great choice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank TCB1969
LA
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This Motel is newly remodeled. Floors are wooden furniture and bedding is all new. Nice large flat screen Television.
The grounds are very well kept. The pool area is very well maintained and cleaned multiple times each day, adequate parking also for RV'S .
Staff is very friendly, centrallocated plenty of eating possibilities within 3 minute walk.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumwater
Best Western Tumwater-Olympia Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites - Tumwater / Olympia
Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 9 in Olympia
Hilton Garden Inn Olympia
The Governor Hotel, a Coast Hotel

Been to Motel 6 Tumwater - Olympia? Share your experiences!