“Great Sushi”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Good and friendly service, reasonable pricing. I definitely will go back for more. Ample variety and god tasting dishes you don't find in other places. See, try, come back for more. A+

1  Thank The_Captain_Morgan
There are newer reviews for Miyabi Restaurant

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I'll have to admit that I've never been to a Japanese restaurant that had live accordion music. It somehow seemed strange (incongruent?) to have music that made it seem like one was in a French cafe while eating Japanese food. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but it seems to me that one should have Asian music when eating in a Japanese restaurant, or at least inconspicuous restaurant music... Anyway, the best part of our visit was the service which was first class; very attentive, prompt and friendly. My wife and I both had the customizable Bento boxes. The price for a Bento box varies slightly depending on what sushi accompanies the Bento box. I had the Sushi Bento selection, which was nigiri sushi ($22.95 for this selection), and I thought that was the best part of the meal, as the sushi rice was just right and the seafood toppings were very fresh and flavorful. The tempura was also very good (crispy), but the tempura sauce lacked flavor. I also had the saba shioyaki (broiled mackerel), but it also lacked that distinctive sweet flavor of good mackerel, even though it appeared to be cooked well. My wife had the California Bento, where the sushi was all California Roll ($18.95), but it also lacked flavor (she commented that the California Roll from Maruta Shoten (Japanese grocery store) was better). Her bento box had the Beef Yakiniku, which was tasty. The Bento boxes also came with Miso Soup (good), a spaghetti/green salad (a little different, but too much sesame seed oil for my tastes, although my wife thought it was ok) and some Japanese pickles. We didn't have reservations for a Saturday evening, but were able to get seated right away at the sushi bar, which was ok because we could then see all the various types of sushi and sushi rolls they were making, many of which were quite artistic. There are tables, but there is also a long picnic-type of table running down the middle of the dining area for sort of communal dining, which was different. You'll also have to check out the restrooms, as the toilet seats are these fancy kind that heat up and have a variety of functions, something I've not seen before in a public restaurant. The counter in the restroom was very nice wood that matched the wood at the sushi bar, but the backsplash was a mix of colored tiles and it just didn't seem to match an Asian decor. If we go again, I think I would just do a la carte nigiri sushi (about $4 to $6 an order, with 2 pieces in each order) and the prawn tempura. Oh, if you go on your birthday, you get a complimentary desert, which was tempura ice cream, which to me just didn't sound right. On a Saturday evening, parking was tight and we had to park quite a ways away. All in all, we enjoyed our dinner, but it was definitely kind of weird with the accordion music; that and several other things made it different than one would expect at a Japanese restaurant. It might be worth a call ahead of time to see what kind of music they are hosting so you can decide if you want to go there that evening. Miyabi seems to do a good business, so maybe it is just me.

1  Thank RexTak
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter and I are the only ones in the family that like sushi so we often come here on each other’s birthday. Their sushi is consistently good. Perhaps the best in the south end. Today for the first time I decided to try their chicken teriyaki. Big mistake! For as good as the sushi is the teriyaki wasn’t very good at all. Stick with the sushi. If you like sushi you will love this place.

1  Thank compassNSEW
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Food was good. Staff was friendly but not 100% knowledgable of the menu. It's pretty good considering their location.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Every time I come here, I try something new. The last visit was uni shooters! Terrific and delicious. Uni served in a spoon with a raw quail egg and some type of sauce. The sashimi is super fresh and delicious. I have never tried the cooked dishes, such as udon or teriyaki, but I have smelled it and seen it as it goes by on server trays, and I bet it is pretty dang good. I always tell myself that I will try it, and then I go back and can't NOT fill my belly with the sashimi and sushi! haha.

My only gripe is the parking in the lot. Very tight and it is often difficult to exit back onto the street due to high traffic volume. They need a light there.

Been to Miyabi Restaurant? Share your experiences!