“Surprise, surprise!”

Sunrise Garden Suites
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Tukwila
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This motel had the best rate when I searched online. The front desk lady was friendly and efficient. What a surprise to open the door into a spacious one-bedroom apartment instead of a bed in a room. Dinner time came so I asked the front desk lady about restaurants as we were unfamiliar with the location which seemed very quiet. Then came another surprise, we were only 5 minutes from Southcenter Mall and Renton where there are tons of eateries to choose from. Finally the breakfast was much more than what we expected and we had to skip lunch.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JSOly

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed in this place over the last decade through all kinds of management changes and issues with this place. I am here to set the record straight. This place is turning around and quickly! Under the new management, the rooms have been gutted and re-furnished. A few of the rooms are already done, with more to come soon. I recommend this place to everyone traveling in the Seattle area. This place is not the same as it used to be.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Warren T
Dave C, Manager at Sunrise Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Warren,

First and foremost I want to thank you for your honest review of our property! I am so happy you have decided to come back to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites. We are in the process of remodeling and upgrading all of our rooms. I look forward to serving you and your company again in the future.

Dave Chesak

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I've never left a review before, but I couldn't not say anything about my stay. I've stayed at perfectly nice America's Best Inns in CA, but this particular one was terrible. I was in Seattle for a conference, and wanted a cheap place by the airport the night before my flight so I could be sure I wouldn't be late for my flight. I've traveled a lot in the past 8 years, and have been in hostels, hotels, and motels around the world. I didn't have great expectations for a motel near the Seattle Airport, but this was below even my lowered expectations.

Positives: staff was friendly.

Negatives:
It must have been an apartment complex before it was a motel, because it was randomly really spacious. I seemed to have a full kitchen and living room as well as the bedroom and the bathroom. I only ventured into the living room to close the blinds because on the ground floor I viewed the shared courtyard where several 'monthly' renters lived, and I didn't want them seeing in. The state of the room set my skin on edge so I didn't bother staying there or checking out the kitchen.

The state of the bathroom and the bedroom were decades old, chipped, and dirty. I seriously did a pro/con analysis as to whether it would be safer/cleaner/more comfortable to sleep in the Kia Soul I'd rented. The only determining factor was that it was freezing outside, and while I didn't trust the room enough to take my socks off, the top blanket looked and smelled bleached. I never used the bathroom because it was unappetizing--while I'm sure they wiped it down, I didn't have confidence that it was actually clean. Plus, the shower was grody and leaked all night.

I put my scarf between my head and the pillow case, and I used my two jackets as a buffer between me and the top blanket. Ugh, plus the charlotte's web-style cobwebs over my door (for which only 1 key worked) really added to the run-down factor. Plus the internet login didn't work. I ended up using my hand sanitizer on the tv remote just to be safe, since I couldn't identify the spots on it. I was also asked by another tenant when I left as to which room I was staying in---I'd wager a guess that was their room in a prior month.

Overall, really dirty, probably not up to code, I felt unsafe, and I would have been better off sleeping in my car with the heat on all night--cheaper too. $59, even if on a saturday night, was way too much for the lack of cleanliness.

Really wish I'd taken pictures to show everyone, but I wanted to keep it from my mind in the future and didn't take any.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ConferenceTraveler10
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Disappointed would be my one word review. Pictures online make it look better than it actually is. Our room keys didn't work to begin. The place was filthy with holes, stains and burn marks in all the carpet and linoleum flooring (I didn't take my shoes off at all). Stains/corrosion all in the bathroom. Shower head was meant for someone no taller than 5'3" and being 5'11" and 6'2" guests, it was uncomfortable. Walls were filthy and stained. It is in serious need of a renovation. Even the pool was murky and dirty. The plus side to the visit was the king sized bed and the "room" was actually a one bedroom apartment with a fully equipped kitchen. It had a lot of space which would be nice for an extended stay. The breakfast was also disappointing. In short, I would not return unless I was guaranteed a renovated room because in the end, it is conveniently located near the highway without the hwy noise and the family fun center is 0.6m down the road which was fun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the river to avoid hearing cars driving down the road. Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosalto
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a strange circumstance however I need to say American Inn is awesome! Heidi specifically was able to take a challenging situation (having to young people from Chicago on a college tour in Seattle be stranded because of another franchises ridiculousness) and resolve it so that they would NOT be stranded. They love the hotel and I think the staff; Heidi and John (great job with your leadership and management ) are terrific!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Single male business traveler, been playing in traveling bands for 20 years: I know a little about hotels.
This was the worst I have ever seen. Permanent residents that should be featured on Hoarders Buried Alive.
I checked into my room to find half eaten food on the table and a sink full of dirty dishes. I plugged my lap top charger into the wall that looked like someone had beat it with a hammer. I t smelled like someone had just stabbed out a smoke in there and I fully felt like the management had kicked out a squatter to sell me the room.
A cursory look at the bed linens, (scratch that: Linen...no top sheet) revealed a plethora of human hairs and stains...I was halfway to the office to get the linensreplaced when I realized that a fresh sheet was not going to make this room better so I split.
This hotel was rated at 2 1/2 stars on HOTWIRE and cost me 67$! I stayed at the BEST WESTERN PLUS down the road for 99$ and had a business suite with two 42" flat screen TV's, hottub and pool and a free breakfast.
Do not bring your kids here!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 3rdrail9er
JRossSeattle, General Manager at Sunrise Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Traveler,
I first want to apologize for your unfortunate experience here at our Hotel. It is clear that you had been checked into a room that had not had housekeeping yet, This is rare but does happen from time to time, and again my apologies for this mistake. Had you brought this to our attention we would have corrected this immediately. The property is also undergoing renovations to guest rooms as well as common areas and landscaping. I hope you will give us another try in the future and see what a great property we can be!

John Martin

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Here's a little background info..

I was going into Seattle on Wednesday June 20 and during a phone conversation with my mother, we decided to make a girls trip out of it and drive up (from Vancouver) on Tuesday evening. So I go on Hotwire to book a room and end up with this gem of a place (not the sarcasm). A few minutes after booking, my mom called me to say she had an appointment Wednesday morning so would not be able to drive up Tuesday night. Well, thats just great. I called the hotel and explained my situation. The lady at the other end of the phone was extremely rude and obnoxious, I could not believe the customer service I was getting. She said she would not give Hotwire authorization to refund my credit card and would charge my account. I called Hotwire and although they were understanding (I spoke with a rep as well as the manager) they could not offer a refund without the authorization of the hotel. The rep and supervisor at Hotwire also called the rude lady (HEIDI) at the hotel. After being on the phone for over an hour, I called the hotel again. I was kind at first, and my kindness turned into anger when Heidi started talking to me like I was an idiot. She hung up on me and I have been unable to get a hold of the General Manager John for the past two days. I have left messages upon messages. I should mention that my boyfriend said he would go stay at the hotel so he drove to Seattle and they wouldn't pick up his calls either! ABSOLUTELY THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. So John, if you ARE the general manager, CALL ME. THis isn't even about losing the money, these people are obviously desperate for anything they can get, its about morals and values and HOSPITALITY being in the customer service industry ESPECIALLY hotels. JUST RIDICULOUS.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo