“Mixed Bag”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Tukwila
South Florida, Florida
“Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

My stay at this property had highs and lows. I wouldn't stay there again unless for work as I was this trip. I am a Marriott rewards member, asked for the highest floor they could give me when booked the reservation and when I got there it was the 3rd floor because of being in the front of the building. I never asked for the front of the building. To their credit, I also asked for a quiet room, and maybe the front is quieter as the railroads horns woke me up throughout the night/early am. Very loud as others have indicated.They accommodated my request to move to a higher floor, but put me in an accessible room. As I didn't need numerous handle bars in the tub to bonk my elbows on, I asked if they had anything else and they did place me in a room down the hall that was much smaller. Room was clean, nice comfortable bedding, toiletries and shower head, though the shower floor was too narrow. Breakfast was a $12 buffet, $8 with hotel coupon. Parking was ample, & shuttle service available, though they need to think about getting a new van or spending some repair time on this one (torn upholstery, door doesn't feel/look/sound like it latches properly, dirty.) Location is isolated, so if no car, plan on walking a block or several to get to some fast food and mini-marts. Part of this walk is not on a sidewalk. Lots of parking on site with police spending a lot of time in the lot. The hotel did give me an umbrella to use/keep, which was appreciated in the pouring rain. There is a restaurant, but dinner service not available until 6pm. Only one elevator working for 8 floors of rooms the 3 days I was there. One elevator ride included an overloaded car with drunk men who jumped off to let others on, then jumped back on, which was unsafe and nerve wracking. Good room lighting, flat screen TV, pool, exercise room, cookies in the afternoon, and fridge/microwave upon request (though fridge door, once placed on floor, opened 6 inches before the door stopped on the floor. Conference room water never replenished for training group. Overall expected more from this brand.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed at this CY by Marriott for 3 nights in May. My party and myself arrived quite late (around 9pm) and our rooms were ready upon our arrival. As requested, I received my room on the side facing the street in order to avoid the train noise. One of the others in my group got assigned a room facing the train (despite me requesting all three rooms be on the street side). She had no issues, however her room was on the 7th floor so perhaps the noise was not as obvious on the higher floors.

My room included a king bed, 32" LCD TV, small fridge, desk and high-speed wireless. As mentioned by others and visible in the photos, the bed is positioned parallel to the TV which makes watching television in bed somewhat difficult. The overall layout of the room was different than any other hotels I've stayed in, however it was manageable. The washroom is equipped with a tub/shower combo with toilet but the sink/mirror are in a separate alcove beside the door. Nonetheless, my room was very comfortable and the housekeeping service was very attentive at keeping the towels stocked, bed made, and room clean.

The hotel features a small fitness room with some machines as well as a small weight bench with dumbbells. There is also a large indoor pool with separate whirlpool adjacent to the gym on the first floor. More than enough to keep in shape and relaxed while travelling in my opinion. Also on the first floor is the hotel restaurant "Charley's of Seattle" which offers three meals including a buffet breakfast with omelette bar. The breakfast is $12 + tax, however I received a discount as I had a special business rate. For $12, the breakfast isn't spectacular (I only ate there once as the event I was attending included breakfast at the location) but it's convenient. I'd expect this type of breakfast to be free (sans omelette bar). Several hot dishes including scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, and self-serve waffles were available as well the regular continental (bread, muffins, pastries). Only coffee/tea and small bottles of concentrate orange juice were included in the breakfast. I did not try the lunch/dinner offerings at Charley's.

Parking at the hotel was free and ample. There is no indoor parking available, however the area is safe (still, I never suggest leaving valuables in plain sight).

Location-wise, you are right off Interstate 5 which is convenient if you are driving. There is also a shuttle to the airport which is about 5-10 minutes drive. If the shuttle driver is not busy you can also request a ride to the nearby Westfield Southcentre mall. The hotel is NOT close to downtown and is about 20 minutes by car and a 30 minute ride by rail (from the Tukwila Light Rail station). For guests attending a Boeing event, the location is recommended (and Boeing provides a shuttle during events).

During my three days, I did not have any major issues. However, two small things I must mention. Despite the reservation reading "Marriott "Plug-In" Ready room", the much expected interface which allows you hook up various media devices into a dedicated panel near the desk was not present. I called the front desk and asked about it, however they had no idea what I was talking about. Apparently Marriott has been equipping it's properties with a panel located in/near the desk which allows you to stream video to the TV via VGA, component in, or S-video as well as listen to an MP3 player through speakers in the ceiling. I really wanted to try this as I love high-tech gadgets. If you do wish to hook up video devices, the LCD TV accepts various cables (which you must supply). Finally, the in-room heating/air conditioning unit is similar to that in a car. It's either fan, low cool, high cool, low heat, or high heat plus temperature control. Not a huge issue, but annoying if you want to sleep with the heat/air on.

Room Tip: Request a room on the side facing the street to avoid train noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank avi8rjosh
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is very nice. Has been recently remodeled. Has a nice indoor pool and hot tub. They are both open until 11 pm. Has a nicely equipped workout room that is open 24 hours. The restaurant and lounge downstairs are both very nice. The food is pricey, but what hotel restaurant isn't? The service is excellent. The employees are very friendly and helpful. Always willing to answer any questions you may have. House keeping did an excellent job. Paying attention to detail. I stayed in a standard king room and was surprised at how large and spacious it was. There was a couch with a small coffee table, as well as a desk and office chair. There was also a mini refrigerator and microwave, which came in handy. The rooms have all new furniture, new HD tvs. The beds are VERY comfortable. This hotel was quiet and comfortable. I really enjoyed my stay and was pleasantly surprised at the size and amenities I got with just a standard room. They also offer free shuttle service to the mall, and other local attractions. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. The price is great for what you get in quality.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tiffany g
Leonardtown, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

Quick overnight stay before departing Sea-Tac on an early morning flight. Hotel is nice over all, about what you would come to expect from a Courtyard - friendly professional staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds, fairly modern. HOWEVER, the hotel is located right next to a main railroad line that is active....all night long. If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend you request a room on the front side of the hotel or skip it all together and stay at the other Courtyard close by. Unfortunately, I didn't hear the first train until after I had already settled and didn't want to deal with relocating to another room. Fortunately, due to years of working in load environments, I was able to tune the noise out and sleep fine. I would probably stay here again if I was in a pinch due to it's proximity to shopping and food, but there are other options with less noise. Now if their housekeeping would only call me back to say they found the sunglasses I left, I'd be really impressed!

Stayed April 2012
Kamloops, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

The reviews for this place were good, so I thought it would be great. The hotel shuttle was prompt, the staff lovely, the rooms mediocre at best. The real problem was that the hotel is practically ON TOP of the train tracks. I managed to tune it out so I could sleep, but my husband was awake all night listening to the crazy rumble. NOT a great place to catch some zzz's before your trip!!!

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here, get a room facing the road. At least it's not the side facing the tra...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank conniestinople
Matt_Farnsworth, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Seattle Sea-Tac Area, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
We make every attempt to assign rooms for our noise sensitive guests to the front side of the hotel, away from the train tracks. The train does run on a sporadic schedule and many of our guests do not mention it at all, so it can be difficult to discern whether or not it will be a disturbance. If you are a light sleeper or have any concerns about a possible disruption to your sleep, it is recommended that you contact the hotel directly prior to arrival to request a room on the front side. We do our best to honor these requests based upon our availability.
Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here overnight whilst travelling.

It was basic but did the job. As we were travelling around Thanksgiving time, the restaurant was shut so we had to get food for dinner and breakfast from the gas station across the road. Staff were helpful, but the hotel had an 'empty' feeling to it.

This is fine for a quick overnight stay but not much else.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Unfortunately it does appear that you stayed during one of the few nights out of the year where our restaurant is closed due to the holidays. I do hope our staff was helpful in finding dining options in the nearby area, as it is our routine during these times to find which restaurants are operating under holiday hours, providing a special menu, or closed entirely. I hope you are able to return and experience our restaurant for dinner or breakfast services in the future.
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Nice, clean, and basic. Indoor pool and fairly well equipped gym. New lobby with limited dining. I only have two complaints. First, there is no thermastat. Only a window unit with hot/cold knob. Second, it's practically on a railroad track. The good news is the trains didn't run at night. Okay hotel if you dont need to sleep during the day.

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you for your comments as the feedback we receive from our guests is vital to ensuring that we are continually improving our service to provide the best guest experience possible. If you would like to share any further comments about your stay or if I can be of any assistance in planning a return visit, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.