“Nice hotel; shame about the staff”

Ramada Tukwila Southcenter
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Tukwila
Reviewed July 21, 2011

First time at this hotel. Chose it because a) we always stay in the Southcentre area when visiting Seattle for several reasons (location; amenities; light rail access to downtown); and b) because the hotel we usually stay at in the area was booked out. We were surprisingly impressed by this hotel. The lobby is warm and inviting and there is plenty of free, open air parking. Our room had two queen beds and was spacious, modern, clean and quiet. It also had a microwave and small fridge. There is an outdoor pool that we did not use due to time but it looked okay. However, there were drawbacks. Number one was the staff. From check-in to departure, the only friendly people we saw were the cleaning staff. The front desk was efficient but they could work on a smile and the occasional greeting from time to time. The other head-up is the hotel layout. The building is long which can mean a lengthy walk along a snaking corridor from the lobby to rooms on the far end of the hotel. Despite the staff, we would consider staying here again - albeit only as a backup to our favored local site.

Room Tip: If elderly or less mobile, request a room closer to the lobby. The walk can be long.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cna001

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Booked this place via a discount site because I needed an inepensive place to stay for one evening. Glad I used the discount site because I would very displeased with the hotel if I had payed the advertised price. The lobby was nice enough, the hallways were dirty and the carpeting stained. Once we got into our room, it just felt and smelled like an old hotel. The furnshings were nice enough, but the bathroom itself, tiles and shower were just kind of gross. I was looking forward to taking a swim that evening, but upon finally locating the pool... you couldn't have paid me to get in it. The water was foul and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a few weeks. There was a sludge of tree pollen over the entirety of the pool, the hot tub was just as nasty. On the plus side... the Belgian waffles in the AM were great.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

First visit to Seattle...staff was a great help. Shuttle drivers are great..get you to the light rail, that will take you into downtown Seattle for $ 2.75 (Highly recommend!!) Room was comfortable and had everything you needed. Near big mall, lots of restaurants. Will definately return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nwtraveler16
Reviewed June 6, 2011

great service- had a 10:30 pm airport arrival and the hotel shuttle picked us up within 15 minutes. Bed was so comfortable and the free hot breakfast was filling- belgium waffles, eggs, sausages, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, bagels, yogurt, coffee, hot coco and juice.

love the free parking and morning paper.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank koabug
Reviewed May 23, 2011

The room with a king size bed that I stayed in was nicely sized and appointed with a LCD TV. It was nicer than other best westerns I've stayed in before. Additionally, the bed was very comfortable. My room faced the river in the back of the hotel which was a nice plus.

The hotel seemed to be located close to railroad tracks so I heard some train horns in the evening. However, it wasn't loud enough to wake me up at night.

Breakfast was excellent with a good selection consisting of cereals, yogurt, oatmeal, sausage, and eggs.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the river
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Xienon
Reviewed May 21, 2011

This is my opinion/experience.

Stayed here with my young child overnight on our way overseas the following day. Even though we travel often in a developing country, this hotel was much worse then many hotels where we travel. The carpets in the rooms were so filthy that we had to walk to the bathroom or anywhere else in the room with our shoes on. The bed was uncomfortable, very difficult to sleep. The sheets were low-quality, very cheap.

The shuttle driver drove so fast and recklessly that my child was thrown from the seat. Fortunately, he was not injured (but the incident did not cause the driver to pull over, slow down, or drive more carefully.) Although we were not wearing our seatbelts at the time of the incident, I've used airport shuttles for at least 30 years and have never worn a seatbelt. I have never seen anybody else (except the driver) wear a seatbelt in an airport shuttle. Most importantly, I've never before seen a need to wear a seatbelt in an airport shuttle. The incident happened in the evening so I think the driver in this case was not the usual shuttle driver. He was very gruff, did not greet any of the passengers, and overall acted as if him driving the shuttle was a waste of his time. The next morning, the person who appeared to be the usual shuttle driver was much safer and drove the van as they do all over the world, safely and courteously. So, if you wear your seatbelt when you use this shuttle, you should be fine (although I'm not sure pedestrians and other motorists on the road would agree.)

There were some bright spots. The lobby is quite nice and the young woman at the front desk during the evening was very polite and helpful. Also, the breakfast buffet in the morning was quite good, there were a lot of choices and the food was of pretty good quality.

Other then that, I think almost any other hotel at Seatac would have been a better choice, including the $39 place (ours was $89 with a discount.)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank travelguyuth
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We needed a hotel when passing through Seattle. The Best Western has a complimentary airport shuttle and the price was right so we thought we'd give it a try. The room was clean and the bed was incredible - perfect after a long day of traveling. The front desk staff wasn't the friendliest and our room was a long walk away from the lobby but we have no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple