“A great place to stay in South Seattle”

Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Tukwila
Winnipeg, MB
“A great place to stay in South Seattle”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn Seattle South for 5 nights during a recent visit to Seattle. It's proximity to many local services, and it's high rating on Trip Advisor were the two key factors for choosing this property! The Trip Advisor community did not disappoint!

First off, the property is very large and sprawling, and consists of 18 two storey buildings plus the lobby. Each building has 4 suites per floor. We were lucky enough to get building #18 (room 1811), which was at the far end of the property, and nearest to the only parking lot that isn't completely full by 10pm! Check in was a breeze, and no issues with our reservation. A quick swipe of my credit cart, and we were off to see our home away from home. We took a ground floor studio suite, which is an open concept room, complete with hideaway bed, fire place, and full kitchen. We never did use the stove or microwave oven, but the fridge kept our drinks cold! The room was extremely clean, and appeared to be in perfect repair. There was new carpet throughout, which is a big plus for us, as worn carpet can make a clean room look poorly. The kitchen was spotless, and the appliances looked brand new. Clearly, they don't get a whole lot of use, or they had been replaced recently. The washroom was immaculate, and a good side as well.

A continental breakfast is included with the room, including hot items like eggs and waffles, as well as cereal, fresh fruit, breads, and juices. We only took advantage of this on our last day as we were checking out. Apparently they also host a "happy hour" in the lobby in the late afternoon, although we were never around during this time, and did not participate. There is also a nice flat screen TV in the room, though we didn't use that, either. One thing we did use was the free WI-FI. Although a little clunky to log in to every time we turned on our devices, it was fast and got the job done. Our room was fairly quiet. The first couple of nights, there must have been a young family in the room above ours, so there was some stomping, but this did not affect us. The air conditioning in the room worked perfectly, which was good, since we happened to arrive on one of the warmest days in Seattle so far this summer!

There is a creek running behind the property, with a paved walkway alongside. Nice for a stroll. The property also has a small swimming pool and badminton court which looked nice. There is a 7-11 convenience store right across from the lobby, in the same parking lot. Across the street, there is a Taco Bell and a Jack in the Box. The mall is a 5 minute drive due west of the property.

We would definitely recommend this property to family and friends, and look forward to returning here on a future trip to the area!

Room Tip: Suggest ground level (first floor) room. No Stairs!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
TukwilaGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you very much for the glowing review. I was excited to read your review and happy to hear your time in Seattle was enjoyable. I'll make sure to share your kind words with our staff in our daily stand up this morning. We look forward to seeing you next time your travels bring you back to the area.

Safe travels,

David Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Syosset
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed on two separate occasions and both suites were very clean. The towels are super soft - unlike any I've ever seen in a hotel. The staff go out of their way to accommodate. Traveling alone I felt very safe. Airport transfers are free and fast. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

The pillows are way too fat, but I discovered a soft flat pillow in the closet so there's nothing to complain about. :)

Room Tip: You will hear footsteps above if you're on the first floor. Also avoid rooms near the recreatio...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
TukwilaGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed our hotel during your past few visits. We hope to see you next time your travels bring you back to the Tukwila area.

Newark
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Found myself stranded in Tukwila WA at the very last minute due to business.

My "regular" place to stay is at the Residence Inn; in the past, it has been my home away from home and everything about them has been Awesome!! I have previously reviewed this property and really really boasted about how they go the extra mile for their guests...

Well that was then, and now is now and now they kinda suck...

Harsh, true...but if there is one thing I despise about companies is their apparent lack of loyalty to customers who are loyal to them.

Let me explain: As mentioned, I was stranded in Tukwila. I checked every single hotel chain for rooms...nothing for 36 miles. Marriott's web site said they (Residence Inn plus all their other local properties), were all sold out. So...I called the Residence Inn. Being a frequent traveler I know most hotels block a room or two for emergencies...I was hoping that my previous relationship and loyalty to this property would help me get a room. Not only was that an EPIC FAIL, the lady at the front desk (one whom I haven't already met and so I did not know her by first name) was like "Sorry, we are all sold out". I explained I am Marriott Platinum Elite...to no avail. I explained I stay there regularly...to no avail. And with that, she promptly ended the conversation and hung up.

Pissed off is an understatement...Was about to ask her to check the other local properties to see if she could arrange something, but nope, "bye bye" and dead phone.

So, what did I do next? I drove to the Courtyard (by Marriott) --- 3/4 of a mile away from the Residence Inn --- and the extremely nice lady there booked me the last of their 2 blocked rooms. Yes, it cost me $300, but it was a hell of a lot better than sleeping in the rental car!!

For those out there who will correctly point out that it is not the Residence Inn's fault I was stranded: You are correct, it is not their fault. Let me turn this back however and state that "Hospitality" and "Customer Service" looks for solutions and NOT blame. I do not blame them for me being stranded, but I darn sure blame them for a terrible efforts to help a once-loyal customer.

Residence Inn Seattle South / Tukwila will NOT be seeing me or other members of my company any time soon if I have my way about it. No excuse for lack of service or loyalty to their customers!

Room Tip: Unless you are with Boeing or Microsoft...Good Luck in getting rooms. Book well well in advance if y...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael Q
TukwilaGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with our hotel. For the past several months the Tukwila area has been very busy with summer, and business travelers. I can assure you that we don't hold back rooms and when you called we really didn't have any rooms available. I agree with you that we should have made the effort to call around or check online to see if any Marriott's in the area had rooms. I will be bringing this up in my next meeting so that my staff may be reminded to give great service to all of our guests. If you'd like to discuss this a bit more please feel free to reach out to me at 425-226-5500.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our Soccer team stayed at this hotel July 22-28, 2014 and was presently surprised at the quality of service and accommodations. The majority of our team arrived early and they were greeted warmly by the receptionist Sonja who were one of many receptionists who accommodated us to all ends starting with an early check in. We had the use of their conference room at our disposal where we ate and stored our meals. We had the door opened and our items were never tampered or moved. At night the parents were able to relax and wind down int his room and they offered us anything they could to help make our evenings comfortable. Our Shuttle driver Laura was friendly and always available to shuttle our families to and from the airport and to and from Starfire Field. Thank you for a wonderful weekend our boys will never forget!

Green Features: Being from Alberta Canada I was unaccustomed to the lack of recycling services the hotel provided. All bottles were thrown in the trash.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear that the team had such a great stay. We hope to have you again next year.

Richmond, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn Seattle South / Tukwila for four nights in mid July. We found the staff members friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. Having said that, we have stayed at many Residence Inn properties from Arizona to Washington State and are accustomed to the standard usually achieved by these hotels. From our perspective, when you pay $230 - $259 per night (our rate changed during our stay) in a suburban location like this, you should not encounter the following:
(1) No hand lotion or bath bars in the room. We asked at the front desk and were given hand lotion but, at this price, asking should not be necessary.
(2) No schedule of Manager Receptions in the room. We suspect that they were trying to avoid having guests know when the receptions were going to be held. We asked when the schedule would be posted in our room and were told they were being printed but we never did see one.
(3) No hot tub. In a location like Seattle, where an outdoor pool is really only useful for a third of the year, one would expect at least one hot tub for a hotel of this size.
(4) A very modest fitness room - a couple of treadmills and not much else. No air conditioning in the fitness room.
(5) No guest access to the propane barbecues. We were told that we could (go and buy briquettes and) use the barbecue that was on the grounds. Really? So many Residence Inns allow access to propane barbecues!
(6) When the air conditioning in our room stopped working and the temperature in the room climbed to 81 degrees, we were given one fan. Note, there were only two windows that opened in the unit and they only opened about 5" each. The hotel (very willingly) refunded our money for the night due to our discomfort.
(7) Barely adequate parking at night time.

We would characterize the stay as "fine" but not certainly not great.

1 Thank VancouverLove2travel
TukwilaGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel I'm glad to hear that you found our rooms clean and comfortable. I always look forward to reading reviews to hear the good things, but also areas we can improve. I'm aware that we weren't able to get our manager's reception schedule of events into the rooms on time and can assure you it wasn't an attempt to not notify our guests. I'm truly sorry for the troubles with your stay. You brought up quite a few good points and I will be addressing them with my team. We hope to see you again to show you how we've improved.

Oregon
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We spent last weekend at Residence Inn. It was very comfortable, clean. The living area was a little small for four adults. It had great access to I-405 and shopping. It took less than ten minutes to get to SeaTac airport, fifteen minutes to downtown Seattle. Would defininately stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TukwilaGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear that hear that your stay went well! We hope you decide to stay with us next time you're back in the Seattle area.

Safe Travels,

San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed two nights last week-end. My sister and I arrived early and the staff did not have a room but said they would call as soon as one was ready. They called while we were having lunch. The room was very welcoming and immaculate. The staff was very helpful in giving us directions to the home care where another sister of ours was staying. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Velia V
TukwilaGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Velia,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and our friendly staff!