“Take the helicopter ride!”

Hoffstadt Bluffs Visitor Center
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Toutle
Reviewed August 29, 2013

You won't be disappointed if you take the time to pull into the smaller of the two main Mt. St. Helens visitor centers (Johnson Ridge has a clear view of the eruption site side of the volcano and is the mother of all visitor centers). We stopped in to check into the helicopter tours, and decided to go. Our pilot was fantastic, and we flew, yes flew, into the center of the crater 8,000 feet high, in the mouth of Mt. St. Helens! We saw steaming lava domes and hovered in the sky at the point where the mountain was, 9,600 feet high, before the 1980 eruption. The vistas were unbelievable. I, yes even I, was speechless. Awed.

My daughter is six, and had the time of her life. She is a volcano enthusiast and we were there to see and learn about volcanos where real volcanos were, and not from our living room.

On the headphones, while in the helicopter, as it was taking off for the live, steaming volcano, I heard my daughter's sweet little voice in my headphone earpiece: "You are the coolest Mom ever!"

That, and a helicopter ride into Mt. St. Helens, too...I almost imploded with excitement.

PS We got all our gifts in their great little gift shop, way way better than the few offerings at Johnson Ridge.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The surprise wasn't how great the helicopter ride over the Mt. St. Helen's Crater was....You just knew that would be stunning on a sunny day! The surprise was how great the food was at the restaurant. grass fed beef, elk and buffalo burgers grilled to perfection, fresh greens, beer batter fries...and they happily serve the burger as a side to a wonderful salad. Did I say onion rings and fruit cobbler?
After a morning hiking around the observatory, we (15 year old grandson and I) were so ready for good food and we got it!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is the lower of the Mt. St. Helens view Visitor Centers and it's the weaker of the two important centers (Johnson Ridge is quite a bit better). The exhibits are older and geared more toward children than the general public. If you have time only for one view point, skip this one and go up to Johnson Ridge.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Another interesting stop on the Mt. St. Helens road. Be sure to stop there as it is very interesting and informative too.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Not only were the ppl friendly and helpful at the gift shop, the place was awesome. The Lobby was welcoming and cool for hot days, It had leather couches and chairs, a fireplace with a huge overhanging changelier made of elk horns....Their was a great grill, outside and inside with views of mt st Helens. The food was awesome. The halibut and chips was the best I have ever had. im picky. a wee high priced but its wild halibut and no fried, breaded halibut compares to theirs, very lightly breaded, cripy, meaty.....awesome. best ever.
there was an upstairs but we didn't see it.