“Loved the Roadside Cafe”

Patty's Place at 19 Mile House
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Toutle
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Long Beach, California
“Loved the Roadside Cafe”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I noticed the HOMEMADE COBBLER sign as I drove up to Johnston Ridge. Coming back, as there is only one road to and from, I remembered the sign and wanted to stop and check it out. I travel with my companion cocker spaniel and am accustomed to having to dine outside the restaurant. There was a large grassy area in front of Patty 's so I planned to order To Go and dine on the lawn. It was a busy place on a late beautiful July afternoon. As I asked to see a menu for ordering To Go and mentioned my dog waiting outside, I was invited to dine on the porch, like everyone else - if off to one corner where it wasn't populated was O.K. I loved the idea. I was given great service and enjoyed the grilled chicken salad, iced tea and the famous "cobbler." No, it was not quite what I had in mind as being a cobbler - it was more of a cake/shortcake, but it was good. I enjoyed their WiFi access as I uploaded a few photos from my day to Facebook. I felt welcome and was treated as if I was just as important as a large party.
Although I did not have a view of the Toutle river, I still felt like this was a beautiful setting. Hanging well cared for flower baskets were surrounding me. The weather was ideal and the atmosphere was charming . . . all seemingly in the middle of nowhere.
Reading over the very few negative reviews of Patty's Place makes me want to respond to what I think are unrealistic expectations. I have been an owner of a "from scratch fare" cafe in a rural setting for 12 long years. I understand that finding good help is tough - the pool of available help along the isolated stretch of the Toutle River cannot run very deep. It was not a huge establishment - it was the size of a normal cottage or farmhouse in the country. The deck added a lot of seating capacity. A large group of RV club members arrived as I was about to leave. Seating was then maxed out so I shared my table with an older couple from the Rv group. It is not easy to handle a sudden large group's arrival. And who on earth is in that big of a hurry that they simply can't enjoy the gorgeous view for 10 minutes while on vacation? To those who complained it was pricey . . . getting supplies halfway up that mountain, when there were not any other food establishments, would involve a surcharge I would think. And to the reviewer who referred to the place as a "greasy spoon," I did not find the food to be greasy at all but perhaps that is because I ordered non fried foods!!!!!!!
I would love to see the few critics of Patty's Place work in such an environment just ONE DAY! I think they would change their tune a bit.
I found the roadside cafe to be a wonderful respite for me and my companion dog.

• Visited July 2012

California
“Excellent Cobbler”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The food and the cobbler were great. The place overlooks the river for a spectacular view. I highly recommend it!

Visited August 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Best Greasy spoon in a long time!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stopped on our way to mt st helens on recommendations. The place was lovely and very charming. Sitting outside would have been nice but it was very windy. Our server was young and a little slow to catch on but did ok.

We had a a burger, delicious, but fries were extra and not included. I found that odd. Fish and chips was good but obviously frozen battered fish so a bit costly at ten bucks. Kids grilled cheese was ok, but the cheese was not melted inside. Tuna salad was very good but a bit overprices I thought. Coffee was not very good. The fries were waffle fries and delicious but VERY GREASY

We had 2 coupons for free cobbler and it was absolutely delicious. Plus we added ice cream and they took that off the bill too.

I would definately go there again if in the area.

• Visited August 2012
Texas
“Pretty place; wonderful food”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Patty's Place managed to please 3 generations with its varied menu and homemade cobbler. The restaurant looks like a charming farmhouse with lots of colorful flowers and a gorgeous view over the river from the back deck. Friendly, casual atmosphere, great food, beautiful view--we were so glad we found it!

• Visited June 2012
Sleepy Eye
“Charming, wonderful experience!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stumbled across this place on our way back from Mt. St. Helens and are so glad we turned around to give it a try. With the beautiful flowers out front, warm decor and its welcoming personality, this charming restaurant felt like a trip back home. There is a deck on the back overlooking a beautiful river, and also along one side to accommodate outdoor dining.

Our waitress was knowledgeable about the entrees and very friendly, and the food....wow! Our salads were made with fresh, locally grown greens with a raspberry vinaigrette - very tasty! I had the turkey/cranberry sandwich with sweet potato fries, which was fantastic, and my daughter had homemade chicken and dumplings (which I had to try as well) and it was amazing! Their homemade ice tea was delicious and fresh and we had to finish our meals with warm cobbler (they have about 10 varieties!) and ice cream. We ate later in the day and were surprised at the number of people here when we arrived - and they were still coming in by the time we left.

There was also a cute little gift shop at the front of the store with many of the goods made locally. A very fun, laid back atmosphere. It is on our list of places to return when we get back out there next summer.

• Visited July 2012

Been to Patty's Place at 19 Mile House? Share your experiences!