“Paradise in an orchard”

Cameo Heights Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Touchet B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Beautiful B&B, sumptuous rooms, immaculate. Very quiet. Romantic. Food is excellent, gourmet quality. They also do dinner which was like having a restaurant all to yourself. Very nice pool. Walla Walla wines are just thirty minutes away!

Room Tip: East side rooms are very sunny. Room in the ground floor are a little cold.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cameo Heights Mansion Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed Saturday, April 27th. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary. I picked a winner of a place to stay. There was a full house that evening (seven suites). We stayed in the Asian Suite. We first enjoyed the air-jetted tub in the room. I also woke up for a little soak Sunday morning. Saturday night, my wife and I had the home theater room all to ourselves. We snuggled up as we watched a dvd on their 100" projection screen, complete with free popcorn popped fresh in their popcorn machine. Sunday morning we were treated to an exquisite breakfast. I've never had poached eggs prepared so elegantly. The thick sliced bacon and sweet potato hash browns were also delicious. The early morning view from the breakfast dining room was fabulous, with the green vineyards and hills as the sun was coming up. Unfortunately, we had to get to Mass at 11am so we couldn't stay any longer. We left at about 10:25am and we were only a couple minutes late to our parish in Pasco. We love it that there is a fantastic bed and breakfast only 1/2 hour from the Tri-Cities, WA.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Spent the weekend with 11 girlfriends Cameo Heights! We had 5 of the 7 rooms and had a WONDERFUL time! There were ages 31-82 and all enjoyed our stay! The rec room was perfect for our card playing and general hanging out. Large enough for some to play cards and others to watch tv or just hang out and visit. Only 3 of us ate dinner there on Friday, but the others were very sorry that they didn't, after we texted them pictures of each beautiful (and yummie) course! On Saturday, we took a cooking class put on by Chef Nathan. We made 3 types of pasta and then got to enjoy when we were done. (My husband is ready to go when he can take the sausage making class!) That made our afternoon meal. That evening, we then had snacks that we brought. The rec room has a great area for doing snacks and we could set up our bar area! There is a fridge filled with beverages that you can buy if you don't take your own. We also watched a couple of movies in the amazming media room. The Fieldings and all of their staff were all AWESOME! They never stopped asking what they could do for us! The rooms are even nicer and larger than they look on the website! The only drawback is that it is very far from Walla Walla if you want to do any shopping or go into town. Most people aren't there for that but we did have 2 that wanted to go into town so I took them in and Mr. Fielding went in to pick them up! That was very helpful! I, also, had Chef Nathan make a birthday cake for my mother, who's 82nd birthday we were celebrating. It was to die for!!! At 8am they will deliver coffee and homemade pastries to your room. At 9am we went to the diningroom and were served an amazing breakfast. Although there were 2 other rooms that had guests in them, I don't think we bother them at all, as the home is so large, and we spent most of our time in the bottom floor. There are other common areas and the rooms, themselves, are like living areas. Another group watched a movie one night and they didn't seem to even notice that we were in the other room. They thought of everything when they designed this home! We will be back and I can'wait to go there with my husband. Thank you, Allen, Deanne and staff! .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I guess we got off to a bad start when I read the following on Cameo Heights' facebook page.

"I am sitting here at my desk on March 27 at 5:30PM looking at three empty rooms and tonight and 2 empty rooms tomorrow night. An empty room is not doing me or you any good. Call for a deal. We will not refuse any reasonable offer."

When I called, however, evidently the only offer they considered reasonable was full high season price plus a charge for the 3rd person (we were having a gals slumber party on a cold early April weekday). It was well over $300. I asked about promotions, packages including dinner, and weekday deals and was told there were none available. When I double checked my facts and quoted their Facebook page to them, the only concession I got was the removal of the $30 extra person charge. I didn't go looking for a deal, but when I'm offered one, and then they refuse to honor their own offer, I'm offended.
I agree with the other reviewers about the good points and the beauty of the place: all of this is true, and well covered by others. Dinner was delicious, but the portions were cruise ship tiny, and the wine pairing servings were ridiculously small. We paid $20pp for wine, and I don't think we got even half a glass of wine total between the 3 "servings". Dinner for 3, $260, and one of us doesn't drink. Skip the pairings and buy an actual bottle of wine.
It was cold and windy, but we tried the hot tub, anyway. To our surprise, we were expected to uncover and recover the hot tub ourselves. The top was already off when we got there, but we almost killed ourselves trying to replace the 3 heavy pieces in the dark. Fortunately, a kind young man came to our rescue after he was through laughing at our efforts. The hot tub was not very warm.
We were surprised that they charged for bottled water and similar amenities, but a previous reviewer said the same thing, and the answer that people take ridiculous liberties when things are free seems reasonable. The owners weren't as warm to us as they seem to be to others; I guess the initial squabbling over price, then a subsequent dispute over the dinner bill explains that. By the way, we were wrong in the dinner bill dispute.
At the risk of nit picking, we were offered more bread at dinner that we never got, and only received our last "glass" of wine after the bill was already paid and we asked if that was really all the wine we got. At breakfast the next morning I was served the best homemade sausage I've ever had, but no amount of raving got me another one. We were also surprised that there was no breakfast menu to choose from as there is at other B&Bs; you get what's served. About 9 in the morning they started blaring music at the cold, empty pool area that was very loud in our room. The TV remote required a degree from Nasa to operate, and between the three of us we couldn't make it work. No TV for us!
All in all, it was a very nice stay, but the next time I decide to spend $600 bucks on a getaway, I think I'll fly my husband and myself on Allegiant to Las Vegas, and stay in a suite at Vdara for 4 nights for about the same price.
To add insult to injury, they started offering $50 off room and dinner again the day after we left. REALLY?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Karen L
bridgebuilder61, Owner at Cameo Heights Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

This review surprised me greatly. I really had a wonderful time with these ladies. Our regular waitress had the night off and I was their waiter for the evening meal. We do better when we hire a waiter! Anyway I recognize only now when I read this that I did forget to bring them extra bread. The chef was busy when I went back for bread and I forgot to follow up. How horrible to ask and then not deliver!

As to the wine pourings. We serve 3 half pours (2.5 to 3 oz) with our Prix-Fixe tasting menus, so they would have about 7.5 to 9 oz of wine for their dining. I actually agree with them on the price. We are going to lower the price to $15 for the wine package. Or if you prefer, we welcome you to buy a bottle of wine from our very reasonably priced and extensive wine list.

I do want to respond to the comment about our Facebook posting. We do make some great offers on FB. We scrupulously honor each and every offer we make. But offers on FB are ALWAYS time sensitive as was this one. It clearly speaks of empty rooms for "tonight" and "tomorrow night" for which no reasonable offer would be refused. The guest in this review called to book a room two weeks later when I had no pending offers as I told her on the phone. I explained to her that we do not have continual discounts on rooms but occasionally, midweek,or at the end of a month, I might make some really outstanding offers but, again, they are ALWAYS time sensitive. I did offer her the SAME DAY STAY PACKAGE but she declined that. So as a good will gesture, I offered to waive the charge for the third person. At the time, she seemed contented with that. Incidentally, the charge for her room before tax was $249 for three persons, all with breakfast, not the "well over $300" that is mentioned here.

Now a comment about portions. She is right. As we have focused more upon a high quality fine dining experience with a tasting menu of several courses, we have reduced our portions down to a more reasonable level. Most guests are very content with our portions. In fine dining, more is usually not better. If, in your case, it would be, please tell the waiter that you would like a full portion or that you would like seconds. We would be happy to oblige.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Cameo Heights was truly a magnificient find on our Wine Trail vacation. What a treat. We never expected this. We drove for a long time and thought we never were driving to the middle of nowhere. Surprise!! It was the best ever. We chose one of the rooms on the ground floor so that we had access to the pool area right out of our french doors. The pool area was cozy and inviting. The access was perfect. The room quiet and the amenities outstanding. There is even a little kitchen on the ground floor where you can make yourself a cappacino or pop some popcorn or grab the making for smores to enjoy by the outdoor fireplace and waterfall. I could have stayed for a month. The food was outstanding, not only for breakfast but we had dinner there two nights and actually had to force ourselves to go out to a restaurant in town. The wine cellar was nicely stocked and the owner bakes all the breads, pastries and desserts for the mansion. It was wonderful. Every morning there was a "Good Morning" Welcome tray at your door to get you ready for the day, An extra special touch. The whole house was like that. Little things that made you feel like you were in your own home, not a hotel or b&B. You could sit in the kitchen/dining area chatting with the chef, sipping on a glass of wine while she whipped up your most favorite crudites. We would definately go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. Nothing pleases us more than pleasing our guests. But let me take a minute and comment upon the location where you marked us as 4 stars, probably because of our location in the country. We are not in town, therefore not as convenient for whatever one would be doing in town.

Actually we think many guests consider our location as part of our charm. If you really wants to get away from the din of town and town lights, then our location may be ideal. There is something truly serene about our location in the country, perched on the crest of plateau in the middle of a beautiful orchard/vineyard on a hillside. That kind of quiet beauty is can't be found in the city. The romance of star gazing in the evening into a black sky with the coyotes down by the river yipping in the background are sights and sounds you won't see or hear in town.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We live within 50 miles of this great B+B and escape there for a day or two at least twice a year. The rooms are the best we have found world wide. We take our DVD's and watch them in the wonderful movie theater. The food is always top quality and the chef is excellent. The pool is relaxing. The isolated location is relaxing. You can not find a better top quality spot in the entire Northwest.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We are East Coasters and were visiting family in Walla Walla, and also needed some time away for the two of us. This place is "perfection itself" in a B+B. Our hosts went out of their way to care for the smallest detail - including trying to find the video we were looking for! Fabulous meals from "The Vine" (try the fondue!), homemade bath toiletries, early morning treats delivered to the door before breakfast were all special gifts, as was each morning's meditative reflections on a beautiful tray. This is a true retreat - our hosts truly have thought of everything. Carol K

Room Tip: The French suite is awash with light and an amazing view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Touchet
Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Quality Inn & Suites
#8 of 15 in Walla Walla
Best Western Plus Pasco Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Kennewick at Southridge

Been to Cameo Heights Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!