“Interesting”

American Hops Museum
Ranked #4 of 5 things to do in Toppenish
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum with three fascinating murals painted on the exterior of building.
seattle
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Very interesting,never realized Hops were grown in this area. Didn't realize that 75% of Hop come from this Valley.You can see Hops and old machine's from beginning to end on the processing of Hops

Visited September 2012
1 Thank foxyseattle

Beaverton, Oregon
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Wanted to like more than I did”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I started learning about craft brewing a few years ago when I lived on the East Coast. I read about the Yakima Valley and their role in the hops industry and then found the American Hops Museum's website online. As I love roadtrips, I immediately added the museum to my must see list.

When I moved to the West Coast, I knew I would have to take a roadtrip to Toppenish to see this museum. Honestly, I was a little disappointed in what I found. This area of Toppenish didn't seem like a very nice neighborhood. There's a junkyard on the same block and the junkyard dog barked at us incessantly after we parked and walked up to the museum.

The woman working the museum was extremely nice and showed us a short video on the hops industry. The video seemed a little ancient (computers with black screens and green letters), but was informative. We were then let loose to explore the museum's collections. Basically, this consisted of old equipment and memorabilia. I wish there were more thorough and informative explanations as to what everything was and how it was used. In the yard outside, there were massive and impressive machines, but they were not labeled.

The tour ends in the gift shop, which takes up about half of the museum's interior floorspace. The prices here were a little steep ($1 for 1 postcard printed on flimsy paper I would be afraid to mail) and some of the food products looked like they had been there for awhile. There were some nice soaps and t shirts, though.

All in all, I would say the museum is worth the small admission price ($3) if you are already in the area. It's got a lot of pieces you wouldn't see anywhere else and there is a lot of heart put behind it. However, I would not recommend taking a roadtrip exclusively for this museum. If you do, make sure to drive to Moxee to see all of the hop fields along the highway.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank mafisc
Redmond, Washington
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fun, quick visit”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

If you are at all interested in learning about how a key beer ingredient is produced, or if you've even ventured into making your own beer, you will find this museum interesting and informative. First, we were led to a small room, where we watch an admittedly dated, but interesting short video about how hops are produced. The museum itself is quite small and only some of the exhibits are labeled with information, so it's sometimes difficult to tell what is what. The museum features old pictures of hop-growing, tools, and various memoribilia. Outside, there is quite a lot of hops-farming equipment, which from what I could tell, is quite specilized, as well as some hops vines which are cool to see, if you have never seen them before. The small gift shop at the end has just about anything you can image with a hops motif. Although this was a small, short stop, I enjoyed my time here, and definitely came away with a good, basic understanding of what hops is and how it is grown and produced, which I probably never would have learned about had it not been for this museum.

2 Thank jules51r