“Awesome....totally awesome!”

Wolf Haven International
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Tenino
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Provides sanctuary for captive-born wolves, guided visits and educational programs about wildlife.
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This was our 2nd trip to Wolf Haven.... First time was in the Spring of 2010 where we were treated to a "howl fest" that made tears run down my face....it was so unimaginably beautiful. This time, there were more guests and no howls, although I don't know if that makes a difference. The volunteers and staff at WHI are obviously passionate about their work and they are very good at sharing their passion and the need to save these lovely creatures. I think that small children can be a distraction and may not appreciate what they are seeing...it is very hard for them to stay quiet and watchful. There is quite a bit of walking over somewhat rough ground, but very much worth it.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We took our 6 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old grandsons to the Wolf Haven Howl-In, and we had an awesome time. There was a short tour of the wolf enclosure which lasted just long enough for their limited attention span. It was really great to see several wolves up close. There were activities for children such as rock painting, mask making, learning about wolves and owls. There were many very nice and knowledgeable volunteers. The facility is very understated. It looks like a natural, serene park, nothing fancy. The boys loved the trail through the prairie and famous Mima Mounds to a huge "Grandfather Tree". On this evening a Native American Chief was sitting under the tree's canopy telling stories. There was a food vendor, music, and a very nice gift store with everything 'wolf'. Since this was a special treat for our grandsons, we bought them each souvenirs to remember our adventure. The highlight of the event though was the howling contest by age. It was fun and entertaining, and it got the real wolves howling which was thrilling to hear. The Howl-Ins are expensive, but it goes towards a good cause. We paid $51 for entry, spent about $25 in the gift shop, and about $20 for food. There was also some camping available and it looked like you can bring in your own picnic. We were very lucky that it was a beautiful warm evening. But beware, bring mosquito repellent. The mosquitos were HUGE. This was a very special evening that we enjoyed very much!

5  Thank AreWeHavingFunYet
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I took the tour at Wolf Haven International in June 2011 and it was quite a unique experience never having seen wolves so close before. In that regard it is quite worth the trip! The guide was also extremely knowledgeable and informative as to the wolves both in the wild, captivity, and at the Wolf Haven site.

I must admit though the tour was of a handful of pens within a small area, so this is a tour suitable for children and the elderly as it involves very little walking and no steep grades. It was a great tour and I got to see/hear the 50 wolves howl several times (exciting to say the least). I hope they will expand to include tours of a greater area of the facility!

2  Thank RockyRoadHappySoul
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Where else do you have an opportunity to see these incredible creatures up close and personal? It is well worth the money!!

Reviewed October 30, 2010

While visiting with my parents we decided to take our children to Wolf Haven. I had been there once when I was in high school, almost 20 yrs ago, and I thought my kids might enjoy going there themselves. We got there right in time for one of their tours and so we didn't have to wait. The young lady who directed us through the habitats was very kind and knowledgable. My kids and other patrons at the time asked a lot of questions and she patiently answered each and every one of our inquires.

While we were there the wolves started howling and the tour guide let us stand there and listen/watch the wolves as they communicated instead of making us keep on going, which I am sure no one at the moment would of wanted to do. Listening to the wolves talk to eachother was music to the soul, such beautiful magestic creatures that sadly have suffered at the hands of humans.

We were also told that Wolf Haven is part of a special group of organizations that are helping re-establish the wolf population in Yellowstone National Park. After the tour we went to the gift shop and all of their items were very reasonably priced. We ended up adopting one of the wolves. My 15 yr old fell in love with one of the girl wolves so we chose to contribute some of our alloted vacation money to her. It felt good knowing that in some way we were helping Wolf Haven and in turn the wolves themselves.

We hope to return again very soon. And hopefully one day I will be able to take our grandchildren there and open their eyes to the beauty God has given us in these creatures. Hopefully by then though the wolf won't be struggling as much as they are today.

2  Thank shanacurtis