“Great food, great people, nowhere to sit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Red Hot

The Red Hot
Ranked #12 of 746 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tacoma
“Great food, great people, nowhere to sit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I've been going to Red Hot for about a year and a half and I really like it. The people are laid back and friendly. The food is really, really good. We've tried pretty much everything on the menu. I recommend the Hilltop Strangler hot dog (it has cream cheese and bacon on it - yummy) or the BLT - but they're all definitely above average. I'm not the biggest hot dog person but these are so flavorful. They don't have that "mystery meat" feel to them at all. My husband is a big eater and usually gets three hot dogs, but for me one or two will usually suffice.

Having said that I almost always get the Pac Ave Beef sandwich. It's so freaking good that I find myself craving them about once a month. The beef is thinly sliced, they have a pickled vegetable salad they add for free if you ask (ask!) and then they dip it in an au jus. YUM. They're $5 and they're huge. It's such a good deal.

I really think this place is unique and a gem in Tacoma. I've brought lots of out of town visitors here because it has a real local feel and everyone likes it.

There are a couple of downsides. One of them is that the only "side dish" they offer is a bag of plain potato chips. It would be great if they'd offer some different flavors or even fries. They also don't have a soda fountain. That's kind of cool except you have to pay $2 for a 12 oz. bottle of Mexican coke - just a strangely expensive item in an otherwise totally affordable place. The biggest drawback to this place is that there is not a lot of seating. Many times we've gone there and had to turn right around and leave because the place was packed with no tables available. Usually we just call ahead and take the order to go. That works great but it would be cool if they could expand their space or even change locations - I'm sure they'd get even more business.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank lololives

Tacoma, Washington
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I'm not a drinker, but I enjoy Red Hot. The staff is so friendly that I don't mind going by myself. I am always made to feel welcome.
If you thought that eating a hot dog couldn't be a new experience...think again. These guys come up with some crazy combinations.

• Visited December 2011
Tacoma, WA
“Hot dogs and beer. That's it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Red Hot is a neighborhood bar. They serve up hot dogs with all sorts of toppings, the menu lists most of them at around $5 or less. Seems to be quality beef, interesting topping combos. It's an ale house, so lots of micro brews on tap, they're listed on a chalkboard near the bar because they change a lot. Always a friendly, welcoming vibe.

• Visited January 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Unique hot dogs and beer menu, good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

The hot dogs were delicious and I can see why this hot dog place ranks in the USA's best. I was pleasantly surprised by the vast beer menu and choices for local brews. Prices were reasonable. The wait staff are cheery and open to talk about the place and local area beers. The only negative thing I could say is that it does not look like a restaurant from the outside and on the inside is more of a bar/pub style rather than a fast food restaurant, which is why it gets 4/5 rather than 5/5 from me. I was in a group of 6 and we all had a great time.

• Visited August 2011
Fox Island, WA
“Way Over Rated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

There are more than 300 restaurants in Tacoma and, for some strange reason, The Red Hot is currently rated as #9 in the city. In my opinion, this hole in the wall 6th Avenue wiener joint is being way, way, way over rated. While The Red Hot has a respectable selection of wines and beers, the food fare is not so varied. Your food choice is pretty much a choice between hotdogs or wieners or frankfurters. Um, seems like the food selection is a bunch of synonyms, huh? You can find far better places than The Red Hot to clog your arteries. Do youself a huge favor and don't expect a whole lot if you "dine" at The Red Hot!

Been to The Red Hot? Share your experiences!