“Very Nice Dinner Spot”

Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South 15th Street
Transit: Convention Center/15th & Commerce LINK light rail station. Pacific Grill is also serviced by many Pierce Transit and Sound Transit buses.
Description: Pacific Grill is Tacoma's Premier Dining Destination. Housed at the Historic Waddell Building in the heart of Downtown Tacoma, Pacific Grill is the perfect location for a delicious dinner, business lunch, Boozy Weekend Brunch or Happy Hour. Past Food & Wine Magazine Best New Chef, Gordon Naccarato, brings Tacoma & the South Sound a creative mix of New American, Seafood, Steaks & more. Enjoy Western Washington's Best Happy Hour in our Bar & Lounge!
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We dined at Pacific Grill for dinner. The meal was nice, food was very enjoyable, and the atmosphere is upscale yet relaxed and fairly casual. The service could have been a little better, while it was friendly the server was not often available, and an item we ordered (one of two starters, the rosemary bread) was never brought (nor were we charged, so I guess the server just missed it). It was still a nice experience and we would return if we wanted a nice dinner in that area with that particular fare. I would advise making reservations if possible as they do fill up, especially on the Friday evening we dined.

Be aware that the menu states they charge fees for splitting starters or entrees. We were not charged these fees, but it is something to be aware of.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were staying in the Marriott Courtyard in downtown Tacoma. It was Friday and we'd been driving all over Seattle so only started our search where to eat at 6 PM. We called another place, further away, but they only had seating at the bar until after 8:30 PM. This is a college town and the restaurant reviews show this. We yearned for some seafood, so decided to walk to the Pacific Grill which is literally right next to the Marriott Courtyard. It was busy at 6:30 PM (a good sign) and we didn't have reservations, but the greeter found a table for two so we were seated right away. I'd advise getting reservations.

You enter the Pacific Grill and immediately encounter a large bar and bar seating area. The decor is exposed brick with exposed industrial-style air ducts high up at roof level, and interesting overhead lighting which is hard to describe: chandelier track lighting? It had the typical Tacoma earth-friendly paint and trim. I think Tacoma has outlawed the use of yellow and blue; those colors, as well as green, were absent, except in some glass panes in two windows overlooking the bar. The overall impression is cozy, subdued, somewhat hushed, with few reflective surfaces. Good for conversation.

We started with oysters on the half shell, with a selection of six featuring 3 smaller "deep bay" oysters from Vancouver BC and 3 larger, plumper ones from Seattle (I think). These were served promptly on crushed ice with nice sauce accompaniments and slices of lemon. Ever so good (if you like raw oysters!)

The waiter gently convinced us we should have a salad, so we had a "plain" Pacific Grill Caesar which was terrific, with just the right amount of dressing and cheese. Croutons were fabulous. We regretted not adding white anchovies, though.

For entrees, we ordered a "special" Ahi tuna entree (the fish of the day) and a small portion of King salmon (which comes as a larger, 8 oz or smaller 4 oz portion). These were among the best fish entrees we've ever had at a restaurant. How to describe them? Perfectly cooked, obviously. Lots of vegetables; I think the salmon came with a vegetable hash? Wonderful, delicate sauces. I make pan seared Ahi tuna myself, but this far exceeded my culinary skills. We savored every bite.

We were full, and take-home was not an option as we were leaving to return to Chicago the next day. But we just didn't want the meal to end, so split a dessert. We got one described as berry shortcake with a lemony biscuit and Mascarpone semifreddo. We didn't know what that was; our waiter explained it was a soft cheese. We had to look it up later, discovering it's an Italian cheese with triple cream, hard to find in the USA. The berries turned out to be strawberries. These strawberries were small, sliced, and red throughout. They were actually a bit tart and intensely strawberry-tasting. They were served on a generous square of Mascarpone all sandwiched between the sliced shortbread biscuit. The shortbread biscuit was sublime; light and slightly sweet and toothsome. This is what a dessert should be!

With tax and tip and an order of draft local craft beer, we spent just over $50 per person. To us, this seemed a bargain for the extraordinary food prepared and served at Pacific Grill.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The atmosphere at Pacific Grill is loud, upbeat and cosmopolitan. Being of a (ahem) older age, this is not my ideal eating atmosphere, however!, Pacific Grill's great food makes up for my dislike of noisy dining.

I had the polenta - done to perfection brought to table in its own cast iron type container, hot, hot, hot, which kept the polenta at a great temperature.

I also had the salmon - it was delicious - the best restaurant salmon I have ever had. It was over a bed of greens, including edamame and cooked to perfection. I told the waiter that I like raw fish, so he took his clue from that and the salmon was roasted on the outside, gently cooked into the middle and then raw in the center - PERFECTION!

If you like seafood, a great upbeat, noisy restaurant, this is the place for you to go!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stopped at Pacific Grill as it was recommended by our hotel. The server was very attentive and patient as we took a while to make a decision as everything sounded great. We were not disappointed. The seafood shots were great, the duck pate excellent, the kale salad extremely fresh, the steak was nicely done, and the Honey Creme Brule was to die for.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I had several meals at the Pacific Grill and most were average. I found it to be a bit overpriced for what you get.

Been to Pacific Grill? Share your experiences!