“Great dinner and experience!”
Review of El Gaucho Tacoma

El Gaucho Tacoma
Ranked #8 of 754 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between S 21st & S 23rd Streets
Description: For years, discriminating diners have trusted the establishments of Paul Mackay to turn landmark occasions into lasting memories. At El Gaucho Tacoma, you and your guest will be treated to the ultimate dining experience, including the attentive tableside service that is the Mackay hallmark. Step back in time to an era of uncompromising service and total indulgence, where the smallest of details are considered the most basic ingredients of your visit. We set the stage for an extraordinary event that will exceed your every expectation.
“Great dinner and experience!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I came here for a business meeting with a contractor. We came very early and were the only ones in the restaurant at the time. The restaurant was so dark, I thought I was going to fall down the stairs to get to my table - but during the dinner they turned the lights up? I thought that was usually the other way around... The staff was very friendly and helpful in the beginning - but for us being the only ones in there, it was a bit slow. Also, at the end of the meal our server took the bill before we left our table, which I always thing is a bit rude and rushing, especially when we went on a night it was dead (Tuesday). However, the food was delicious, but I was a bit shocked after looking at their prices on the menu. My steak was good, but not THAT good. I had a caprese salad that was okay (my friend got the Crab salad which looked awesome and was made tableside). The scalloped potatoes are to DIE for. I typically am not a fan, but at the suggestion of our server, we got them - best decision ever.

I would come back here again if I didn't want to travel all the way to Seattle and I wasn't paying. I just dont think the prices are worth it.

• Visited May 2013

Auburn, Washington
“It's not a restaurant...it's a destination”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is THE place to go for a special occasion. We were celebrating our anniversary & I let them know when I made reservations. There were rose petals & a handwritten note on our table. One staff member after another stopped by our table to say congratulations. The ambiance was romantic. We sat next to the piano bar & enjoyed the music. The server told us over & over to take our time & enjoy the evening. The food was delicious. The complimentary dessert of whole fruit & nuts with roquefort cheese & crackers was so fun. And when I needed to go the ladies room, a tuxedo-clad gentleman escorted me. That's fancy! It is pricey, so be prepared. We dropped $200, but you only celebrate your 1st anniversary once.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SpikesShieldmaiden
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at El Gaucho Tacoma, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear SpikesShieldmaiden,

Thank you so much for choosing El Gaucho Tacoma as the place to celebrate your 1st anniversary! We are so glad to hear that we delivered a romantic and celebratory meal for your special occasion, and that you enjoyed the music, ambiance and food. We strive to deliver world class food and service every time, so we thank you for your 5-star review.

We look forward to helping you celebrate more special events in the future.

Cheers!
Seattle, Washington
“Great restaurant but the prices??”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We read the reviews and I have to agree that this is a great restaurant but the prices were a shocker. We went prepared to spend some serious dough but when the bill came I was really surprised.
Let me say that the staff and service was great. Very friendly and accommodating. Atmosphere is very relaxing and lush but it was a beautiful day outside (not always the case here in the Northwest) but you couldn't prove that inside because it is Very dark.
That being said, we started out with two drinks, a vodka martini and a manhattan. They were very nice but not outstanding. We joked about the $100 martini on the menu but I had no idea that my martini would be $18 and the manhattan was $14. Really?
We had the Wicked Shrimp which was very tasty. A caesar salad made at the table, again very good. My wife had the Steak Gaucho and I had the bone in Rib Steak, accompanied with 2 glasses (not a bottle) of wine at $15 and $20 each. Oh yes and a side of corn.
Bottom line, the bill was $273.76, add in a $45 tip and the birthday dinner came out to $318.78. I don't know about anyone else not on an expense account but that is damn spendy no matter how you cut it. We may be back for happy hour but doing the dinner there will NOT be in our future.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jimboflyguy69
Lakebay, Washington
“Don't expect them to honor out dated gift cards!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Was suprised when we were told that we could not use a gift card we received at an auction but was out of date. I would expect them to honor some kind of discount.
Will not go back again, because of the customer service we received when we were told that they would not honor the card.
I wrote a letter but did not hear back from them.
Poor customer service.
We have been telling our friends of the poor response we revived!

• Visited May 2013
Milwaukie, Oregon
“Great food!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Fine service, very good selection and preparation of salmon and steak. Also had excellent dessert, highly recommended.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Falleur

Been to El Gaucho Tacoma? Share your experiences!