“The Finest in Tacoma”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between S 21st & S 23rd Streets
Description: For years, discriminating diners have trusted the establishments of Paul Mackay to turn landmark occasions into lasting memories. At El Gaucho Tacoma, you and your guest will be treated to the ultimate dining experience, including the attentive tableside service that is the Mackay hallmark. Step back in time to an era of uncompromising service and total indulgence, where the smallest of details are considered the most basic ingredients of your visit. We set the stage for an extraordinary event that will exceed your every expectation.
Tacoma, Washington, United States
“The Finest in Tacoma”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is an exceptional, but pricey, restaurant where even the bus boys are clad in tuxedos. The food is fantastic.

For a night out on the town, it's difficult to beat the El Gaucho. It's always a memorable experience.

Visited May 2012

seattle
“Over Priced and Over Rated”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We went here for our anniversary. We do have enough money to do things like this- just object to being overcharged. I thought we should use our card from a pricey dining club that was a Christmas gift-it included El Gaucho-printed right on the card. When we presented it the waitress she said they were no longer part of it.Hmmm...maybe they should bow out at the end of the year, not while they are still drawing people in.Anyways,that was a disappointing beginning.
Everything on menu is very overpriced-even a baked potato is ridiculous. My filet mignon was delicious. My husbands steak with a pepper finish was so over peppered (and he is a pepper lover) as to be almost inedible.This place just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I have eaten at other restaurants in a similiar price range with more generous portions and elegant surroundings i.e.Daniels in Bellevue, Canlis in Seattle with better service and food and didn't leave with a feeling like I'd just been ripped off.I wouldn't go back.
Not sure if they are owned by the same people, but if you want to pay high prices for a good meal and have more fun go next door to The Melting Pot.

• Visited December 2011
Tacoma, Washington
“Good food, too expensive.”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The food and service here were excellent. I have no complaints about that. I would have rated this restaraunt "excellent" but I felt it was too expensive. I think that you can get food every bit as good (if not better) at Stanley and Seaforts for a bit less. Plus, the view at Stanleys is better than the dark ambience of El Gaucho.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank kristin l
Houston, Texas
“Great spot for family celebration!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Ate here with 5 family members on a Sunday night, celebrating a college graduation. Terrific! Waiter friendly and knowledgeable, accommodated our vegetarian, etc. good wines, nice cocktails, steaks excellent. Great atmosphere.

• Visited May 2012
Washington State
“Service excellent, food okay, but gift cards cause issues”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We had a gift card from Costco (I see another reviewer had this same issue) for 50.00 (trust me this isn't going to go far at this restaurant). We decided to go just to check it out, not intending for a full dinner. Service was attentive, they must have filled our water glasses at least 10 times. We had two starters and a glass of wine each. We had called in advance about the gift card but when presented, the server seemed dismayed, though did accept it. I think if we had shown it in advance of paying service would have been very different. Tips are not allowed to be included in the gift card but we probably wouldn't return to use the 8.00 left on the card.

The food was good, the baby back ribs on the starter menu are tender and have a smoky savory sauce on the side which was delicious. You get a lot of meat for a starter but then it was 18.00 just for this one small portion. We also got the wrapped prawns. Extremely large prawns, a little tough and one was overcooked and charred. We could cut slices off and were abundantly full after the two starters shared between two. 50.00 for two appetizers and a glass of wine each has ensured we will look elsewhere. I've had amazing meals in some of the top restaurants in Portland and Seattle and comparatively this is overpriced for what you get. I will say we witnessed a flaming shiskebob presentation tableside that was very nicely done.

Very dark, they present you with small flashlights to read your menus. We had to ask for the wine menu, they simply didn't give it to us without asking. The decor is elegant, and the tables are definitely close so you can be overheard even if speaking quietly. We had been talking about sharing plates and the server came over and told us which entrees could be "shared". Apparently if you order two and wish to sample off each others for other tastes this is just not "done". It isn't that I'm not someone who hasn't eaten in very nice restaurants, I have. But snooty is different than elegant. There is no view, and only valet parking, though we parked one block down on the street for free at 6 pm.

• Visited May 2012

Been to El Gaucho Tacoma? Share your experiences!