“Awesome!”

Engine House No. 9
Ranked #67 of 910 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Engine House No. 9 was built in 1907 to provide fire protection for Tacoma's North End. For many years it served as battalion headquarters. It was the last station in Tacoma to convert from horse-drawn to mechanized equipment-in 1919 when Rufus Harben and Earle More made the final symbolic run aboard an Amoskeg steam pumper drawn by the horses Nip, Dick and Joe. Engine House No. 9 was in service until 1965 when it was abandoned and fell into disrepair. Vandals touched off no less than three fires in the building in the ensuing seven years. Although the structure remained, it was stripped and battered and its bones exposed to winter snow and rain when it was discovered by a young newspaper reporter in 1971. Win Anderson and Bob Lane purchased and restored the building, converting the lower floor to a tavern and the second story into an apartment. In August of 2011 the Xitco and Paradise families, having been longtime admirers of Engine House No. 9, became proprietors and stewards of one of Tacoma's Historical Landmarks. Today the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My family went to this establishment on a whim after a visit to point defiance zoo. We are down in Olympia and wanted to eat before the drive back home. So glad we chose this spot! My brother got the wagyu burger, my sister in law got the fish tacos and my mom and I both got taco salads (which come in taco shell bowls). We all loved everything! My brother and sis also tried a few of the house brews and were so blown away, they bought two six packs to go from the “brew to go” fridge. This was also a low key birthday dinner for me so we ordered the carrot cake and the peanut butter pie. HOLY SH*T I would sell my soul for either of those. Our server was Beth C. and she was so helpful and personable. Would for sure go back!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (138)

Reviewed May 27, 2019

Not only a unique beer house with history, they hosted a family event for us and I can't give the staff, food, and location high enough ratings.

Reviewed May 25, 2019 via mobile

Charming historic firehouse- the salmon was outstanding- fresh, cooked and seasoned perfectly- oh and the chowder too!

Reviewed May 19, 2019

I’ve been here many times and decided to bring family visiting from out of town for breakfast. We ordered our meals and waited almost an hour- asking twice about the status of our meals. We ended up leaving before the food came out, and talked to a manager to let him know of our dissatisfaction. His only response when saying how ridiculous the wait was and that we’d left cash for the coffee was “ok”. No apology or anything! At least update customers or check in to see how we’re doing. None of that! Disappointing and ridiculous!!

Reviewed May 4, 2019 via mobile

This was a great little find today while we were out and about. Great variety of beers and Bourbons. Their menu can meet anyone’s needs. Nice place.