“Hampton Inn Suites-Tacoma Mall-Highly Recommend!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Tacoma-Mall

Hampton Inn & Suites Tacoma-Mall
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Austin, Texas
“Hampton Inn Suites-Tacoma Mall-Highly Recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Excellent stay. And every staff person with whom I came into contact-front desk, housekeeping, breakfast dining and general maintenance-was extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful. I have stayed at another brand's hotel of the same level in Tacoma and it was far more expensive. The price

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Natacha W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel is actually quite nice, clean and quiet. I was tripping out on the overkill on security. It is nice to feel secure but not to the point of feeling guilty anytime you walk out of the hotel to smoke. The security guy was very nice despite my disregrd to the rules of wedging the door open to avoid the multiple steps to get back in. It didn't appear ghetto except for the pair of shoes hanging form the telephone wires above the entrance. I told the security guy that you only have two key card swipes to get into a Brooklyn hotel but you have 4 swipes to get into your room from the outside via the staircase in Washington of all places. That must make some people feel pretty secure.

They let me check in at 11:45 am due to being Platinum, I guess. That was very accomodating of them when I flew in early on Monday. They later delivered double my HHonors perks after I had checked in. The staff were very nice and polite people after proving I deserved to be there.

The shower heads were a little high and I'm 6'2. However, that was much more welcome than the showerheads that only go to my chest at most Hamptons. All of the locals call it Lake Hood and I don't see why in my 3 days so far. Even the street walkers were polite as they panhandled. A guy showed me his ID as he asked to bum a cigarette. Washington does not seem to know ghetto and that's a good thing that they are trying to head it off before it gets to that point of literary truth.

There is a nice mini/maxi fridge and microwave so you don't have to eat at the limited high-class selections nearby.

Really dude? I go out to smoke and have to swipe 4 times to get back into my room? I guess that makes some people feel more secure. It just annoys me. At least get the tap card entry instead of 3 to 4 swipes per swiper to acknowledge that yes, my card is legit. That may equal 16 swipes to successfully get back to my room.

The positives are the very quiet environment, the pleasant, albeit slightly suspicious personnel, clean rooms, and convenient location. Not even one mile away is a motel that advertises Color TV and Free Local Calls! Had a nice flatscreen TV in Hampton with VGA and HDMI inputs for productivity on your laptop conveniently located next to the desk/workspace.

Another annoyance is the single entrance on only the front.You may find out the hard way after turning into the street and finding the other two entrances closed. Then try to make a left turn to make another left turn into the proper hotel entrance during dusk rush-hour. Not only that, but, in the rain (go figure), their side entrance, which is closest to the nearest available parking space is under maintenance also. You have to solely go through the front door. That is a great security item, but so is the full-body scanner, taking off your belt, shoes, liquids, and laptops at the airport.

It is right next to the freeway and walking distance to a couple of fast food joints/restaurants and a buffet of some sorts. The price though, is not comparable to other Hampton locations. It is a bit high especially for the extra security they put you through.

Not what I expected for the price and hassle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MOFO2020
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hampton Inn based on the reviews that were posted on line. the rooms are excellent although a bit high in price for the.location. my one criticism is that the.lobby is undergoing remodel, which was.not noted on line and a discount was.not offered. having said that, the fourth floor rooms are very quiet and have comfortable beds. excellent front desk staff.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank sjdif
Baldwin Park, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

There was a miss understanding with the credit card I wanted them to use. Charles the assistant manager was being rude, even after letting him know I was physical ill due to a virus I had gotten will out there. He removed the credit card information that was good off their system and then had me go back and get it. He requested to make a copy of my military id card and sent me back to get it. I was too ill to come back down, I called and apologized the next day I checked out and spoke to the General Manager about the incident. I got in trouble for it at my company since he submitted a report saying I was being rude. I did not know anything about it until I reminded the general manager in one of my emails I was still a customer and would like to know what had happened. Another assistant manager there was nice enough to email me the report, where he said I had refused to give him my credit card. He never mentioned it was the military Id card which I later found out is illegal to copy and I never refused I was just to sick to come back down, so I called and said I would give it to them the next day . I WILL NEVER, EVER ATTEMPT TO TALK TO ANOTHER MANAGER AGAIN, AND I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS LOCATION TO ANYONE.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Judith Z
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on December 14, 2012 because he had early morning training nearby. I reserved our room on-line, with a pre-paid, non-refunable rate of around 100.00.
The title says Tacoma Mall, but it isn't by the mall, it's on the other side of I-5 and down the street maybe 2 miles, so don't think you are walking (I don't think it's safe enough to walk there anyway).

Check-In was fast, although they were doing some remodeling and the front desk area looked awful. Our room was small but super clean. Nice flat-screen TV, micro-wave, fridge (important to me because I'm a soda drinker). The bed was King size and very comfortable! You had to use a key to work the elevator and get in any door except the main lobby, which I liked. The area isn't the best but I felt safe with all the precautions they took.

One thing to keep in mind is there is no tub, it was a stand-up, large shower stall. I was thinking it may be a concern for people who usually bathe their children.

The continental breakfast was really good and the area in the lobby where you eat was really nice. They had scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, toast, yougurt, cereal, all kinds of juice-it was a really good continental. A bit on the pricey side for the area but feeling safe and a good breakfast made up for the higher rate. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Don't forget your hotel key!