“Good Hotel, Questionable neighborhood”

Hampton Inn & Suites Tacoma-Mall
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Vancouver
“Good Hotel, Questionable neighborhood”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel as we were here for a kids baseball tournament. We were aware of the neighborhood and just did not venture out at night. The hotel and the rooms were clean, breakfast was just OK. Staff were friendly enough. I wouldn't normally have chosen this hotel but the rest of the team stayed here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rainy_Vanc0uver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in Tacoma to avoid the Seattle traffic . The hotel had clean rooms, okay breakfast and good exercise room. Be aware that you need your room key to ride up on the elevator and the parking lot is gated because of the neighborhood.( they told us to stay on this side by the mall and not to travel to the higher streets.) The hotel was nice with Jesus helping us with directions around Seattle. Believe me, the traffic is worse than NY city! Do visit the Space Needle with the gorgeous glass garden exhibit and take a ride around Puget Sound where you can see Tom hank's houseboat in "Sleepless in Seattle" and visit the Flight Museum if you can.

Room Tip: we enjoy the higher floors for less noise
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luckycharm14
Kalama, Washington
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was a little cautious to stay here, but wanted to put my two cents in. I have always had great experience with Hampton Inns. This was not different! The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and very helpful. These things I have come to "count on" when it comes to Hampton Inn properties, so no surprise there. The breakfast was just okay, something to start your day! I didn't find the neighborhood disturbing in the least, as someone else had stated, and I LIKE the fact that the parking lot is fenced! I think it just adds to the fact that the Hampton INN management team is concerned for your safety. The only reason this property doesn't get a "5" is because the bed was not of Hampton Inn quality, and as I said the breakfast was just okay. Otherwise if you're just looking for a SAFE, CLEAN place to lay your head for a night or two, perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Higgens
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel itself is ok. The rooms are clean and comfortable enough. Breakfast and the pool are fine. I was awoken one night by people fighting in the parking lot, which they have to gate up to reduce car burglaries. Poor neighborhood for walking in, but there are a few mediocre restaurants nearby. The name is a bit deceptive as it is far from the Tacoma Mall. I much prefer the Liberty Inn 12 miles Southwest in the much more pleasant neighborhood of Dupont.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DulinIdaho
Brea, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My 79 year old mom and I disembarked from our Alaska cruise and headed to Tacoma to visit family and Mount Ranier. We picked Tacoma as it was in the middle of all the places we needed to visit, i.e. Seattle, Olympia, and the airport. We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was perfect. The front desk, especially Jesus, were very helpful, smiling, and one could tell they enjoyed working there. The breakfast each day was good. The coffee and tea is always available and good. The indoor pool was warm and we enjoyed it and the jacuzzi. The beds were so comfortable, I want one at home. Everything in the hotel was clean and neat. The only complaint I have, is that they have a big banner in the elevator saying "duvet covers are washed fresh for every guest" yet mine had something like blood or mud or chocolate dried on it and I had to call housekeeping to have it changed. TIP: Your key card must be used to go up in the elevator. Wait for the door to close, then insert it, then pick your floor. It's a little tricky.
There is a lot to do in the Tacoma area. Don't miss the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium...fantastic!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Faye G
Milwaukie, Oregon, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel is relatively new, sparkling clean and conveniently located to Joint Base Lewis/McChord. I found the desk staff to be very helpful, to remember my name and to be very welling to help me and my colleague find local grocery stores, dining locales and directions to locations we needed to visit. I will stay here again when returning to JBLM in the fall. The only thing I didn't like was a feature common to all Hampton Inns, a terrible breakfast. The hot options are pre-made and not to my style of healthy eating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wavemamaP
Silverdale, Washington
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The lady Alysia working the front desk was extremely rude and judgemental. Me and my wife and a couple of friends were visiting the Tacoma area, and she proceeded to threaten us saying we couldn't be loud or she would throw us out. We had no intention on partying, and she kept telling us we did. Now being that all of us are active military, and we walked in late with no alcohol, how is this proper service? Its nice to know that the Hampton Inn hires people with such amazing and kind people skills. As far as staying at this hotel or recommending this place I will not. The hassel to check in was too stressful, next time ill just sleep in my car..

• Stayed July 2012