“Yummy and Delicious, did I mention yummy?”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gateway to India

Gateway to India
Reserve with OpenTable
Gateway to India is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 746 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fife
Transit: route 1 on 6th Ave
Shelton, WA
“Yummy and Delicious, did I mention yummy?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Walking in I knew it was going to be delicious, because of the wonderful smell of spices. The service was excellent, food yum, and the naan was really good. I loved the sweet chai tea. I will go back. I suggest ordering family style, that way you get to try more flavors and leftovers for breakfast.

• Visited December 2013

Timbuktu, Mali
“Decent Lunch Buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I've been to mediocre indian buffets and this is much better than average buffet. The selection was varied and the items seemed freshly prepared, rather than like some places which seem to serve dry Tandoori chicken. They had some dishes I've never had and some I probably wouldn't have ordered if I picked one dish. So thankfully on the buffet I tried a number of items and the goat curry was one of my favorites. It was tender like a pot roast.

Ok.. so I bumped up the rating because I've been to many ethnic mom & pop restaurants lately where the owners / staff are barely nice. I wanted to highlight that the hostess was very friendly and helpful. Additionally, while we ate at least 3 to 4 different sets of customers asked to see the owner / cook just to say hi. When we paid the bill another person came over to talk to him and I could see why everyone went out of their way - he was extremely friendly, and made customers feel welcome. So in their little ethnic place, they've created a neighborhood "Cheers" type of atmosphere.

We'll be back!

• Visited December 2013
Tacoma
“Aroma and Flavor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Entering Gateway to India, one first notices the exotic smells of fresh ground spices wafting from the kitchen. On all of our visits, servers immediately greeted us and either seated us, or when crowded, let us know how long the wait would be. And the wait is well worth it. The food here is well prepared. The freshly ground spices that you noticed as you entered give the dishes an extraordinary flavor. They take your imagination to far off lands, despite being on 6th Avenue in Tacoma. The Vindaloos and Masalas were wonderful. Quite a few vegetarian dishes are available. In multiple visits, service has been uniformly excellent, rest rooms were clean, and the dining room has a colorful but cozy ambience.

• Visited October 2013
Washington State
“Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

While visiting family in Tacoma, we ordered take-out from this restaurant. Unfortunately we called the wrong location, and when we arrived to pick up our order, they had no record of our call. Rather than sending us to the location we ordered from (30 minutes away), they immediately started to recreate the order and DID NOT CHARGE US for the food that we ordered from their other location. This was an $85 order, and we were amazed and grateful that they were so gracious about it. They even gave us free chai tea to enjoy while they rushed the new order. Not only was the service incredible, but the food was delicious as well.

• Visited September 2013
Ashland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“favorite Indian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have been going to Gateway to India since they first opened. It has expanded over the years, and the neighborhood has gotten a bit nicer and more diverse, but the food is still as good as ever. Some of our favorites are the channa masala, palak paneer, aloo gobi and the pea and potato samosas. We have never been let down by anything off the menu there. They have a great lunch buffet during the day and a nice atmosphere in the evenings for dinner. Service is always prompt and friendly. We love their chai tea, and especially their mango pudding, which CJ has never given out the recipe to! We will continue coming back! Thanks, Gateway to India!!

• Visited February 2013

Been to Gateway to India? Share your experiences!