“Don't miss this place in Tacoma. Very Underrated on TA”
Review of Babblin' Babs Bistro - CLOSED

Babblin' Babs Bistro
Cuisines: American
Highland Park, Illinois
“Don't miss this place in Tacoma. Very Underrated on TA”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

While traveling thru Tacoma & hungry for lunch/brunch, went to check out things thru Trip Advisor. Looked at the Bite restaurant, That was in a hotel & not our kind of place. I searched down to a bit & found Babblin Babs.

We had a bit of trouble finding it, since it's in a strip mall behind a parking lot. Once there, I was still a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews. It sounded as if the food was very rich....au contrare...it was fresh, flavorful, herb-filled, but not at all too rich...and, it was wonderful.

The Chef/Owner has been in the business for quite some time, knows how to be creative with fresh, local foods & creates a wonderful meal. I ordered a "custard" egg (which I thought was going to be rich, but just meant it was baked/scrambled in a circular shape) with ground sausage, not spicy, but wonderfully herb flavored. Also,on my plate, sweet potato hash...so great tasting, cubes of crusty potato with onion and pepper...Delish! Hubby had a smoked salmon dish, beautifully served with capers, potatoes and thin sliced granny apples... a real foodie treat. We looked up above our table to see a picture of Rick Steeves (Travel Guru) and knew we had found a real gem.

Great local place that more travelers should find. Chef/Owner grew up in Chicago area & we spend quite some time talking about the past...we hated to leave!

Be sure to visit this place!! very underrated on Trip Advisor

• Visited August 2013

Tacoma, Washington
“Best Breakfast Ever!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Here's what I had for my birthday breakfast at Babblin' Babs Bistro yesterday:
Wild Mushroom Crepes a la Babs: A blend of Shiitake, Nameko, Oyster, Champignons, Shimeji, Porcini, and baby Oyster mushrooms made into a duxelle and seasoned with Greek spice, spinach and preserved lemons and Parmesan cheese. Delicate crepes filled and baked crispy; then laced with a Vermouth cream sauce.

The mushrooms & sauce were a savory delight and the crepes were cooked to exactly the right balance of toasty softness. They were served with an amazing, creamy au gratin potato and fresh fruit so beautifully arranged that I almost couldn't bring myself to eat it..... almost.

William is not just a great chef, he cares about the sources and freshness of the food he serves. After one meal, I am an avid fan. I'll be back!

• Visited July 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Consistently amazing food.”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Best breakfast in town. Made from scratch, so it takes awhile. Best lunches in town. Food is fresh, local, organic and prepared well. No salt shakers here. It is pricey, but in this case you really do get excellent food.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DolceVitaGal1956
Tacoma, WA
“Not for everyone, but others love it”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

TItle should probably be" Not for me, but everyone else loved it." I am a breakfast lover, but at the same time I am not one for fancy, gourmet like foods. I want bacon, eggs, toast, and hash brown when I go out to breakfast. If it is waffles, pancakes, or French toast, I want it plain and simple. Except for the excellent bread, there wasn't much plain or simple here. The other three people in the party are have much better palates than I do, so they loved their food. My wife had a French toast with infused mango. It was great for her, but not what I would want. The naan dish ordered by the other two was much to their liking. My homemade sausage with bacon in it was probably excellent, but not what my lousy taste buds are used to and not much to my liking. The custard egg was good, as were the potatoes. I would have preferred my freshly baked bread to have been toasted, and a variety of jams would have been appreciated rather than the ONE they offered. Each breakfast was $15, which I think is way too high for a breakfast. This place is busy, and people love it. So you may, too. But if you are looking for a good, plain breakfast, this is not the place for you. I wish my palate wasn't so boring, but that is how it it. You can check their menu on line.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank RetiredTraveler2009
Bellingham, Washington
“A Gem”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We'd heard good things about Babblin' Babs, decided to give them a try, and were very glad we did. The menu is eclectic and, we gather, changes according to the whims of Chefs William and Shannon. Between us we thoroughly enjoyed the wild mushroom crepes, roasted root vegetables, and Slap Yo Mama vegetables served over the richest grits we've ever seen. The scalloped potatoes with brie are exquisite!

The place is small and popular, so it's best to try to avoid the rush times. This isn't in any way related to fast food. It's great dining worth savoring. An important note, they're going to be moving to a new location sometime in June, as an inane "redevelopment" scheme is forcing them out, but we'll seek them out wherever they go!

• Visited March 2013